Author Topic: TANDEM WALKING  (Read 3431 times)

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
TANDEM WALKING
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:57:04 am »
Got any tips about how to walk two dogs at once by the same person?

I'm new to this, but I am putting my 10 year old Irish setter dog on the outside on an extended choke chain, then my new 3 year old Irish setter female on the inside and clipping the ends of their choke chains to the one lead.  Which seems to be OK apart from the fact that to try and jerk the lead to heel them affects her more than him.  I've tried a shorter connection with him but they are always colliding and stepping on each other's ginormous feet.  I don't really fancy having two leads since I know it would annoy me and get all twisted .. but is that a better way?  They also travel in front of me more like this which is not a proper heel, I know, but I'm finding it a bit straining on my left arm and hand to always jerk, stop and correct. 

Any advice and tips or tricks would be much appreciated!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: TANDEM WALKING
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:02:56 am »
I use a coupler but you still end up correcting both dogs when one does wrong.  As much as I hate to say it, you may have to take two walks!!  I think that's what I'm going to end up having to do too because we'll get going and Daphne will start to lag behind and Issy is still on the go!  So I drop Daphne off and keep going with Issy.  But I think taking them seperately will help with training too.  Good luck, my shoulder sends your shoulder well wishes!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:48:23 am »
I  use a leash that secures around my waist and then has about 4 ft, I use this with Magic all the time and leaves my hands free while we are working at the hospital.

I would suggest that you use something like this for the well behaved one and a regular leash for the one that needs the training.

I also agree that they both deserve your one on one time.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 04:09:31 pm »
We use a leash that splits into 2 at the end for the pups.  Works great.  They don't pull as hard on you because the other dog acts as a buffer.  Now if they both ever get the idea to head in the same direction and misbehave.. hangon :)  And as a bonus, when they misbehave when you pull back the leash they bonk their heads together in 3-stooges fashion. 

Seriously though, it took them a little while to get the idea they had to walk together with the coupler, but once they "got it" it works much better than trying to manage 2 leashes.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 04:47:45 pm »
It is Funny to us too, when the two stubborn meatheads are being brats :)  ;D
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 05:52:52 pm »
one thing i did, is i have axle trained to walk on BOTH sides of me.  i know you're supposed to have them stay on one side, but with kids if i have to carry them on the walk, i switch sides and it makes it hard to walk a dog and hold a kid on the same side.  so to solve the problem, i just have him used to doing either side.  also, if i have a dog who is stubborn, smaller, or whatever i'll walk axle on my left and the other dog on my right (i'm right handed and have a lot less control with my left hand).  that way, i can have two leashes, my arms don't get exhausted from two dogs pulling on one side, and i have a LOT better control if something goes across the road.  plus they don't get tangled.  personally, i don't like the couplers for the reason that was already mentioned, if they both decide to go (and they're big) it's going to be a joy ride!  but then, i'm shorter and axle weighs about the same as me (but lower to the ground) when i'm not pregnant  :-\
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 11:58:47 pm »
I found a neat leash at the dog show a couple of years ago and finally got one this year.  It is basically two leashes attached to one hand hold and the leashes don't tangle.  It was working well up to the point that Shiner decided to hit the terrible twos and now I am going to have to start walking them separately again.  But it also has a quick release for the hand hold in case the dogs both go after something.  The dogs are still attached to each other but you aren't being pulled along like a windsock attached to the back of a car.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 03:07:23 am »
Thanks for the advice: I think I had better give the two leads at-the-same-time method a go.  Funnily enough, it is actually the older, bigger dog who pulls in a tandem situation.  One thing I have been doing - and maybe it is a giant no no, I'm not sure - is putting the lead behind my back and kind of bracing it to keep them in line, especially down hills.  I usually only do this, though, when I am tired of heeling and correcting and my left arm is a bit worn out.  They do get walked separately when my husband accompanies us, which is quite often, otherwise I don't think I have the physical strength (or time!) to go on our big, long, up hill down hill walk twice a day!  Maybe I'm just too fussy wanting them to heel perfectly?