Author Topic: Tons of Questions  (Read 5119 times)

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Tons of Questions
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:33:24 pm »
I have been looking into adopting two one year old OEM pups. Both females, neither spayed. They have been raised in a family with 6 children from 2-12 years old. The parents are on the premises and two cats also live there.
Vetting is lacking due to funds and I have been told they need rabies and boosters.(no biggie in the grand scheme)

I am nervous for a couple of diffent reasons. The owner wants me to sign a statement that I will take on all vet bills (no biggie and most would assume you do this when you adopt). Also a spay contract (again no biggie as I do not want to breed).

The thing that has me most nervous is the vet bill statement as most anybody who has ever adopted any dog understands vet bills become a big part of life, so I have to wonder what it is I may not being told.

She has stated the pups are friendly at her house but also stated "they may not act this way at yours". She has asked me to seal a peice of clothing and send it to her so the pups can sleep with it and get used to my smell. Again, what am I missing?

I want to add she is giving these pups away for no charge. They are purebreds.

Not being totally stupid, I suspect there are some aggression issues. But, I have zero experience with this breed.

I have two young grandchildren who spend alot of time at my house and I do not want to endnger them in any way. Not to mention my own pups/cats.

So for those of you who have had dealings with this breed, are the things she has said to me normal for somebody rehoming a 1yo to say? I know vet bills/medical can be high for this breed, but would you make it a point to inform new owners they are now responsible for vet bills if the pups were heathy?

I would normally just ride to see the pups, but they are about an 8 hour trip away and I am trying to determine if it is even worth it to make the intial trip.

I do not expect any 1yo pup to be perfect, but many red flags are going up here and I am not sure if it is me, she is just covering her bases or a combo of both. So I thought I'd put it out here and see what you all think.

Thanks!!

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Tons of Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 04:53:42 pm »
Thanks. They are being rehomed as she states she can not provide proper medical for them. They have not even had rabies shots yet:( This is a good and acceptable reason for rehoming them, I have found no fault in her reasons and even applaud her for it.
She has 6 children, ages 2-12 and states the dogs are really good with her kids.

I think what I am gonna do is have her take them for a vet visit at my expense. This will set my mind at ease so far as medical right off the start. The vet will also be able to tell me how the temperment seems.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 01:47:41 am »
I agree with most all the info that has been posted.
The very minium is a vet visit before you bring them home to rule out any obvious problems.

And while getting these babies is great especially if she can't care properly for them,most things in life are not free.
Especially pure bred dogs.

If she is truly trying to find them a new home and her only concern is the right home then any questions and concerns you may have should be dealt with up front.

It may seem like a long way to her home,but a personal visit is a must to see them in their own home.

And if you include a vet visit ( at your cost) to see  how
they are,if that is your only expense,you have done a good deed,getting them to a vet.

On the other hand it may just be the oppurtunity of a life time to get some wonderful family members,

You will only know when you go.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 02:46:40 am »
Thanks everyone.

She is rehoming due to a fire/trailer living/ new home being built. She has 6 mastiffs and 6 children. She is short on money for the same reasons. This is acceptable to me as a reason she is looking for a new home.

She is agreeable to me having the pups see a vet. I have also asked my trainer to help me locate a trainer in that area so I can have the pups accessed (sp?) before I make the trip. If all goes well with those two visits, I am going to go meet them!!! I would rather move slow and make sure this is the right thing for them and us, than to have it not work out. She has stated she will take them back at anytime and for any reason.

Tricia, I so agree with you! No pup is ever "free". I have the vet bills to prove it :)

Thanks again everybody!