Author Topic: My Newf is a Spaz!!  (Read 4642 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
My Newf is a Spaz!!
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:40:09 pm »
We have a 14 month old brown Goofy Newfie, named Bodhi.  He is the love of my life and the sweetest boy...but not calm and laid back as Newfs are supposed to be.  He is an absolute angel when we take him anywhere...but at home can be a bit of a terror!  He runs and jumps around and loves to chew on us and our other pets...particu larly our poor Corgi mix, Stubby.  Bodhi chases him down and jumps on him and slobbers all over him.  He has never hurt him, but poor Stubby is a nervous wreck when it is time to go outside, knowing he is going to be pummelled by the Big Brown Dog!

I know many breeds of dogs are rather crazy when they are puppies/young adults.  Does this include Newfies?  Could that be the reason that Bodhi is so energetic, and will he calm down as he gets older?  We have 6 acres of land, he gets exercise.  We live in a very rural area, there is only one trainer within 80 miles of us and I do not agree with some of their techniques so I work with Bodhi myself.  Just wondering if anyone else has a Newfie who was nuts when they were young!!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: My Newf is a Spaz!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:45:19 pm »
BTW...here is a picture of Bodhi.  Isn't he adorably goofy??
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:12:22 pm »
Hi and welcome to BPO!

Newfies are a lot more energetic than most expect plus browns have a tendency to be a bit wilder. He should settle some around when he turns two.  Kali (our black newf) has a ton of energy still and she'll be 3 in January. But she isn't as bad as she was around Bodhi's age so he should settle a bit as he gets older. I know Kali loves soccer and it wears her out pretty quickly so it may be something to look into with Bodhi plus obedience drills always help. Oh and for nutty young newfs search the newf dicussion threads for the adolescence topics as you'll find you aren't alone and that some DO have it worse which I found reassuring  ;D. And Bodhi is gorgeous...I so want another newf!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:24:04 pm »
AWWWWWWWW!
Bhodi is ADORABLE!
Yeah, his age has a lot to do with it. He's young and rambunctious, just like a teenage boy. The other thing is that Newfs are working dogs (like labs!) and need focus and a job. You might try giving him a backpack to wear around and teach him to carry a little bit. It might give him something to focus his energy on.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:39:20 pm »
a puppy is a puppy is a puppy. Unfortunately, newfies are just a lot more puppy than most dogs. Don't worry. Your newf isn't unusual. Enjoy his antics. He sounds very normal and is certainly adorable.

I can personally vouch for Melissa's Sophie, too. I had her for a couple of days before Melissa came to adopt her and she was the biggest goofiest puppy I ever cared for!! They certainly make you smile and laugh, though, don't they?!

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:56:19 pm »
Welcome to BPO!  This is a great site with LOTS of Newfies!  You'll get lots of advice and lots of laughs hearing about the antics of other dogs here (ie:  Dinty!)

I am Stephanie, mom to 7 1/2 month old Sierra the Newfie and 7 yr old Magic the Black Lab.  The rest of my zoo is listed in my signature.  Sierra is also a spaz.  A few days ago, my hubby thought she broke her leg because she was running through the house so fast she crashed into the corner of a wall.  He said she bounced off like a pinball and started yelping.  She's fine though.  Of course my little blockhead hasn't yet learned to look in the direction she's running.  So I can empathize with the craziness!

Your Bhodi has one of the cutest faces I've ever seen on a Newf.  The look on his face tells me he keeps you on your toes!  And Sierra gives my poor cats the same treatment as your boy does to poor Stubby (btw, LOVE that name!)

Looking forward to more pics of Bhodi and Stubby!

She's actually mellowed out a LOT....except for getting stuff off the counter (like last night) she's a GREAT dog :)

I just wanted to sympathize with you Melissa...  Sierra has quickly learned that she is now big enough to reach just about anything she wants on the counters.  It's becoming a real problem.  She does when we're right in the next room.  Isn't it amazing how quiet a dog that size can be when they want to be?   ;D

~ Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 09:03:31 pm »
Welcome! You guy is so adorable!!!
I had a crazy newf before  ;D He chewed on everyone and everything, was bouncing off the walls and 3 hour walks daily didn't help. He settled down a little past his 3rd birthday  ;) Hang in there!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 11:15:25 pm »

I do NOT like that kind of behavior and I'm afraid we'll have to "set her up" to curb her of it. She's gotten WAY too bold.

I can laugh at it now, but I was not a happy camper last night.  ;D

Well, I wish that attitude would rub off on Jeff.  He is pretty PO'ed with Sierra.  In the last two weeks she has gotten half a square baking dish of apple crisp, a bag of beef jerky, leftover manicotti (and the tin foil covering it, three large brownies (and the tim foil covering those, too), some chocolate chip cookies and the bowl of sugar.  He did set her up the other day.  He left some sliced ham out and set up a mirror on a chair so he could see her from the living room.  Problem is he didn't pay attention and she got the ham anyway!

~ Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 04:20:19 pm »
Shine, at 14months.. still a puppy as others said.
Enjoy it while he is that way.  It does sound like he is a little stir-crazy also and needs a way to get some of that puppy energy out.  Tired pup = good pup.

Newly newfed.. At least Sierra isn't destroying clothing like Sophie does.  She likes to kill my hats and shoes for some reason.  Mostly just mine, but she has destroyed several pricey newfie hats... Welll.. and Bava will remove the zippers from your shorts, if his stupid parents throw there clothing on the floor when they go to sleep :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”