Author Topic: anybody around fort hood area??  (Read 3583 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
anybody around fort hood area??
« on: September 14, 2007, 04:35:35 pm »
ok, so all of you who have been around a while know our whole big deal with the army.  and moving.  and not.  well, now two months or so after moving BACK to georgia (after finding out we weren't being relocated after all!) we're moving.  again.  we're due to report to fort hood texas on december 26th or 28th i can't remember which.  anywho, does anybody live in the area??? 

this time we actually have orders, though.  amazingly, nobody knew.  we found out when hubby was at company training and the commander was like, now time to show respect to those coming in and leaving.  "sgt miller... sgt brandon miller" and goes on to say "oh, i forgot, sgt miller and his family are expecting a baby girl any day now, i don't think he made this...  anywho, he'll be relocated to fort hood in december"  talk about a shock.   :-\  i just got comfortable in THIS house...
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: anybody around fort hood area??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 04:49:28 pm »
OMG, you're so calm about this.  I think I would have gone postal by now.

i was about in tears last night.  i'm so frustrated with the situation.  we can't fly axle, so we'll be driving 932 miles from atlanta to fort hood.  *i can't wait*  we'll have 3 kids, and 2 dogs with us.  not to mention it won't be too long after i have that partial (which is up in the air over me wanting it) so if i do get it, i hope i feel better by then.  it's going to a trip from down below.  at least, though, i'll get to see somewhere new?  and my mom will be activated to fort bliss, so she'll be at least in the same state, though it'll still be almost 600 miles away.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:10:23 pm »
geez. They extended stays in Germany but didn't bounce us around, although I never fully unpacked in GA so I probably would have been okay if they had.

Fun never ends for you huh?? Kind of like my life!
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:42:48 pm »
Texas is a BIG state, you will be about 4 hours from me and closer to Kathryn. Ft Hood gets extremely hot in the summer so if you are not going to be on base, make sure you get a house that has a good a/c system and is well insulated.(600.00 a month electric bills are not uncommon in the summer) I have heard that the school system in Kileen is pretty good- not sure if you have school aged children.
 Welcome to our state, I dont think that you guys will be coming thru Texas far enough north for us to meet up on the way here, but let me know how you are coming in- maybe Lori (lorim2) and I can take a short road trip and met you guys for short rest stop.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:45:54 pm »
thanks for the help guys!  we'll be living on base, we move too much for anything else.  this is the 4th state in 4 years.  nice, huh? if nothing else maybe we can all get together for a party weekend sometime, or even just a camping trip or something!  how hot does it get there, and how cold in the winter?  are we going to die all year long?  also, do they have grass, or is it going to be like el paso where you rake for little cacti under the sand?  any tips about living there would be GREAT since we haven't been to texas ever!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:21:40 pm »
OMG you are making me laugh- yes we have grass. I spend many hours a week mowing. I am farther north and last year we had several different days of ice. You will find that it doesnt get too cold for any length of time here in Texas and there has been more than once we wore shorts for our Thankgiving dinner. The hottest months are probably May thru September, the rest of the year, this is a pretty good place to live as far as the weather. You guys will have to plan a trip to San Antonio as a family, and of course to Galveston. I am sure that Kathryn would love to see you guys since she works for Moody Gardens. It is a beautiful place. I hope that you like Mexican food. It is a staple in Texas.
We get really severe thunderstorms in the spring and you will probably go thru a few tornado warnings. Never fear, Ft Hood is not going to take the chance of losing any service members to the weather.
My husband was stationed at Ft.Hood back in the 80's. He was there during the hottest summer on record. They had to go out for drill and he said that he had seen some really large scorpions. I have never seen any at my house so you guys are safe on the base. Kileen is a small town. Not much going on- for entertaiment you will have to go into Austin. If you can get a sitter you and the husband will have to check out 6th street. Thats where all of the fun happens.
I think that it would be cool to meet up. Maybe we can all have a meet and greet some place in Waco, get here and lets figure it out.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 10:31:10 pm »
tornado's?  no problem, i'm from the gulf coast so bad weather is relaxing to me, but not so much for the kids lmao.  well, at least i don't have to worry about under-sand cacti!  i was kind of worried about that with the dogs lol we were looking at doggie shoes already!  you can't blame me for asking, i've never been west of La  :o  hot weather is ok, too, in ms it gets up to 100 degrees some days, is it better or worst there?  we'll DEFINITELY have to get together!  we just found out, also, that if we go to 4th ID we won't be there long b/c they're getting moved to colorado i think.  sometime after their deployment, or so at least we're told.  so if we go with them, we won't be in Tx long, if we go with the other group we'll be there a while lol.  btw, do you have any pics of the area?  that way we can see "about" what it's going to look like, as far as general geography goes?
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 11:25:33 pm »
Let's see what can I tell you about Texas that Paige hasn't covered yet.  Yes, we have grass unless there is drought and then you typically have dead grass.  Depending on your yard you may have to watch for sand burrs and small grass burrs but no cactus.  You will need to watch for bull nettle that will crop up in my yard from time to time.  Tornadoes and maybe some flash flooding are the only things you will really need to worry about.  For anyone that's used to living further north than Texas then no the winter won't be too cold for you but for those of us born and raised here then yes it's too cold even when it's only in the 40s.  Weather is always changing down here.  For example just last week we had in one day nothing out in the gulf, then a depression formed, then Tropical Storm Humberto was coming at us and by the time he made landfall he was Hurricane Humberto.  That was all within a 24 hour time span. 
I don't think I have any pictures of the Austin - Killeen area but if you do a image search on line you will bring up some pics of that area.  Austin is a fun town and 6th street is awesome.  It's been a long time since I've been there but I would definitely be up to hitting the town with you are meeting up at some point. 
Hope that helps some.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 05:54:51 am »
thanks for the help!  we'll definately have to get together!  with fort bliss is it going to be like georgia where we just get the feeder bans, etc, or will it be like the gulf coast where we get the WHOLE thing?  oh and what are sand burrs?

40's are great, i love it between about 40 and 70.  colder than that is ok, too, and warmer i'll be miserable but i can deal with it  :-\  are fleas / ticks, etc a big problem there?  anything that we need to watch our puppers for that we wouldn't have to over here?

modified to add hubby and i were curious what, exactly, moody gardens was?  i think i remember you (kathryn) working with snakes, and stuff like that, right? 

thanks again  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 05:57:36 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 02:09:48 pm »
I am going to let Kathryn explain Moody Gardens, I probably couldnt do it justice, but mark it on the things to do list.
We have fleas and ticks in Texas and the mosquitos are horrible, so if the pups are not on a heartworm preventative, good idea to get them started. Fleas and ticks can be controlled as long as you keep them under control in the beginning and you dont get an infestation. I had a horrible time this spring, but got it handled rather quickly.
We look forward to you joining us.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 05:23:59 am »
Sorry for the late responses but I'm helping with a conference and it's in 2 weeks.  It's getting hectic around here. 

Sand burrs are like grass sticker burrs but they are buried in the sand.  They can get in paw pads and they hurt trying to pull them out.  They also hurt when you step bare foot in them.

Ticks and fleas and mosquitoes are the main things.  Definitely heartworm prevention is year round down here.  The only other thing I can think of would be scorpions and venomous snakes.  I've never had a scorpion in my house down here in Houston but have seen them in my mom's house in East Texas.  I've been stung by one too. 

You'll get the rain bands.  Once the tropical storms (TS) or hurricane comes through they usually drop pretty quickly and break apart into strong rain bands once they hit land.  We are supposed to be in the low 90s this week so it should be quite pleasant as far as weather goes. 

Now to make this even longer, I'll tell you about Moody Gardens.  By the way, I have pics of the RF if you would like me to post them.  Moody has 3 pyramids - the rainforest, the aquarium, and the discovery museum.  I work in the RF and it is a 1 square acre heavily planted free flight aviary.  We are a zoo but the largest mammals we have are an ocelot and some sloths.  So no giraffes or elephants or rhinos.  The RF covers 3 regions of RF throughout the world and we are revamping the entrance and exit to add in some new exhibits with reptiles.  The AQ covers the caribbean, south pacific, south atlantic, and north pacific.  There are fur seals, sea lions, and harbor seals, penguins, and lots of fish.  The caribbean area has a walkthrough dome in the main tank so the fish are swimming above your head as you walk through.  The discovery museum is a changing exhibit area but right now it has a music exhibit that is interactive and great fun for kids.  And within the next month we will start setting up for our Festival of Lights exhibit.  Basically Christmas lights.  Sorry this is so long.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 06:26:47 am »
that sounds SO cool!  we're definately going to have to go there!  what city is it in, and is it easily found?  it's definately going on our to do list, aiden especially will love it as he is a BIG fan of fish / sea life and also reptiles.  tristan is more of a cars kind of kid but i'm sure will still like it a lot!  i would DEFINITELY love to see pictures!  i saw the ones that you posted a while back with the snake enclosures, they sure were nice!  if you post them this week though, it may take me some time to see and reply to them.  you guys are great, i sure hope we get together!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)