Author Topic: New mom to 2 rescued pyrs  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
New mom to 2 rescued pyrs
« on: September 16, 2007, 04:47:42 pm »
Hi All!  I just came across this board the other night and decided I had to be a part of it!  It's nice to see so many dog lovers out there! 

My husband and I (and our 4 boys) recently adopted 2 great pyrs from a shelter in SE Michigan.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw their pictures on Petfinder.  They were found straying together and their owner never claimed them.  They've been with us since June and already I can't imagine life without them.  Of course we're having some adjustment issues, but that's to be expected with adopting adult dogs.  Nothing a little love, patience and training won't fix! :D

Can't wait to meet everyone and share stories about our furry friends!  And now I'm going to attempt to attach some photos of our family!  Wish me luck! ;)

Amy

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New mom to 2 rescued pyrs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 04:52:45 pm »
Welcome Amy!!! Your Pyrs are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!
I wouldn't believe my eyes either if I found them  :o
How old do you think they are?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:11:41 pm »
The vet says they're about 1 year old.  Their teeth are still perfectly white and beautiful.  When we went to the shelter to visit them, I was shocked by how skinny they were.  They're very tall, but they only weighed in at 70 lbs.  You could feel every rib, and their hip bones just stuck right out.  We took them to the vet the other day for a weigh in and both gained about 10 lbs since June and are doing really well now.  I'm sure they've still got some filling out to do over the next couple of years, but I'm happy that they're finally on track for a long healthy life.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 05:20:41 pm »
Welcome! Wow they are gorgeous indeed!! They look so very well loved now, how lucky for them you adopted both of them! Look forward to seeing you around and more pics too!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 05:20:57 pm by mama2many »

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 05:26:22 pm »
Welcome and a BIG congrats to you for adopting these 2 adult boys ~ that's ALOT of dog to take on at once. Looks like the men in your family are just thrilled to have them with you. Can't wait to see more pics and what do your tiny paws think about their new fur brothers? I'm Kim ~ mom to a E.Mastiff Libby adopted as an adult, and a crazy Siamese Max.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 05:38:30 pm »
I have to be honest, the little dogs still aren't too impressed with the big ones.  A lot of nipping goin' on, actually.  We've been somewhat succesful in keeping everyone happy by making sure the big guys get a lot of exercise outside so that when they come inside, they just lay down and sleep.  That way, the little guys feel more secure...  and by secure I mean less likely to get trampled by two playful pyr brothers!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 09:37:15 pm »
Hi Amy, what a wonderful rescue story!  I'm so glad that your family was able to take on both boys, it's great that they've been able to stay together and have a wonderful new home.

I'm Marie, mom to 3 boys and 3 dogs including Daisy our Golden/Lab mix, Sammy our Pyr, and Cassie our Pyr/something wonderful but mysterious mix.  Sam came to us from rescue in March and Cassie was rehomed to us by a sweet older couple in February.  There are so many pyrs in shelters & rescues all over the country right now, bless you for giving a home to Apollo & Zeus, they are gorgeous boys and Sebastian & Napoleon are adorable!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 11:35:35 pm »
Congrats, your life will never be the same again and I mean that in a good way. They are gorgeous. They will probably not totally fill out until they are at least 2 so dont worry too much. You have a gorgeous family.
I am Paige and  I live with 3 Danes, 4 Pyrs, a Newf mix and whatever way ward soul needs a place to crash until they find thier forever home. Welcome BPO.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:17:00 am »
Welcome to the board and congrats on your two new family members.  They are gorgeous!  I'm Kat and my crew is listed below. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience