Author Topic: Sensitive stomach??? UGH, I need some sleep!  (Read 4420 times)

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Sensitive stomach??? UGH, I need some sleep!
« on: September 19, 2007, 04:30:31 am »
OK, I'll try to make this short.  We have a year old neutered dane and he seems to have an on again off again BM problem.  He's been getting me up to let him out of his crate about every two hours a night and honestly, it's driving me crazy >:(.  I've taken him to the vet and they did a fecal exam, and it was negative and the vet seems to think that he may have gotten an intolerance to his food (AND it doesn't help that the dog likes to eat wild turkey poop!!)  ANYWHO, does anyone have any suggestions to a better diet for him to be on if he does have a sensitive digestive tract??  ??? Assume you can't afford Innova or the like.  I had him on rice and pumpkin and yogurt for a bit after the last  bout and slowly started his kibble back (still including the rice and pumpkin and yogurt.  Any help would be greatly, and I do mean greatly appreciated!  :-\

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Re: Sensitive stomach??? UGH, I need some sleep!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:15:07 pm »
I'm not sure where you're located or if this food is available in your area, but Jack has a very sensitive stomach and we've found that Eagle Pack Holistic Large & Giant Breed works great for him. It is corn and wheat free and has lots of great ingredients like blueberries, cranberries, carrots, peas, etc.  It's all human grade and has great additives for large & giant breeds like glucosomine & chondroitin and lots of antioxidants and vitamins.  It was actually specially designed for Danes and if you check out their website at www.eaglepack. com you will see the studies that they've done with Danes.  Jack is still on the puppy variety (they recommend it until 18 months) so you could do that or you could go with the adult version.

They also make a regular, non-holistic variety that's great as well, but it does have some wheat in it, so if that upsets your pups tummy I would go with the holistic.  The cost for both is the same it just depends on what the stores near you carry. (There's a "Where to Buy" link on their website that allows you to enter your zip and find the closest retailers.)

Around here it costs about $35 for a 33 lb bag.  Our Swissy and Pyr each weigh around 100 lbs and they each eat about 4 cups per day.

My sister-in-law has two danes and she feeds Eagle Pack as well.  It's helped one with hip dysplasia and one with yeast and allergy problems to improve their conditions dramatically.

It's also the recommended food of "The Great Dane Lady", a canine nutritionist and quality Dane breeder. (www.greatdanel ady.com).

Geeze, I sould like a commercial - sorry I just really like this food!
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 05:34:01 pm »
Healthwise sells 35lb bag for $35.00 Isn't it how much Innova cost?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 06:12:43 pm »
I think we pay somehwere around 38-40 bucks for the big bag of EVO. But, like Tina mentioned, we feed A LOT less than we were before. And the dogs do very well on it!

Offline moenow

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 06:38:04 pm »
Interesting.  I swear, there are so many things people would never find out about unless they were on a message board like this!  I had never heard about taurine deficiencies.
The Innova here is $37.99 for a 33lb bag, the Cal. Natural chicken & rice is $34.99 for a 36lb bag and Healthwise Lamb & oatmeal is $32.95 for a 35lb bag.  The Healthwise is the cheapest, but it sounds like it wouldn't be the best!  Also, there's only pennies difference between that and the Cal Natural .  Right now, what we use (Diamond brand Large Breed) is about $24 for a 40lb bag.  We THOUGHT we picked a good one because it doesn't have CORN as it's main ingredient and it seemed to have good stuff in it, but hey, I'm new to this!  I'm not positive it's the food that's causing these "booty blowouts" because he's been eating this food for at least 6 months, I'd say.