Author Topic: Oliver, GSD with HOD  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Oliver

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Oliver, GSD with HOD
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:59:46 pm »
I have a 14 week old German shepperd named Oliver.  We took him to the vet one week ago today and he was fine.  After vaccines the next few days were rough.  Now they say he has HOD.  He is in constant pain, he can barely walk, takes him a  few tries to stand up (we help as muich as possible without hurting him further)  They are telling us this will eventually go away with possiblilty of it re occurring.  I need a owner who has been through this to answer this for me, will it go away?  Has it for your dog?  And when it does how has their lives gone.  I am not going to put him down unless it doesnt go away for months, at that point my heartache for the pain he is going through and the puppy life he is missing will eat away at me til I dont want to see him suffer anymore.  please email me at nikoanagnostop oulos@yahoo.com   

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Oliver, GSD with HOD
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:30:20 am »
i sent you an e-mail.
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Re: Oliver, GSD with HOD
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 02:05:33 pm »
I second following "The Great Dane Lady's" advice.  Her HOD program should help you to manage his symptoms until he grows out of this awful condition.  My Jack has elbow dysplasia and she's been a wonderful help to me throughout his diagnosis and treatment.  I follow her program for orthopedic issues, but she specifically has one for HOD as well.  If you email her make sure to put "HOD - Need Help" in the subject line so she prioritizes your email and responds quickly.  She gets a lot of emails but she makes a point of saying she replies to the HOD ones first.

Good luck with your baby.  You'll be so glad that you stuck with him when he outgrows this and didn't give up on him. 
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!