Author Topic: HYPERTROPHIC OSTEODYSTROPHY (HOD)  (Read 13396 times)

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
HYPERTROPHIC OSTEODYSTROPHY (HOD)
« on: September 22, 2007, 11:08:35 pm »
I also posted this in the medical section of the board b/c this condition is common in many breeds of large dogs...but I also wanted to post it here.

My fiancee and I just adopted a 5-month-old Great Pyrenees puppy who was just diagnosed with HOD (hypertrophic osteodystrophy).  The vet gave him rimadyl and keflex.  He was up on his feet for a few days, but now the problem has returned.  From what we understand, he may experience this recurring problem until he is fully grown.  His fever is spiking sometimes and he is in pain.  We are giving him baby aspirin for the fever.

I was just wondering if anyone on this board has any experience with this condition, and what the best ways are to keep the dog comfortable.  He is such a sweet thing.

Also, by the way, we cannot seem to decide on a name.  Any suggestions are welcome.  I attached a picture.
Charlie - Great Pyrenees (DOB 5/1/07)
Nola & Roo - beautiful kitties

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: HYPERTROPHIC OSTEODYSTROPHY (HOD)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 11:10:53 pm »
One of Holly's Great Danes has HOD, I'm sure she'll be along to give you some great advice ;)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:35:30 am »
my dane has HOD. did you ask your vet about using baby asprin with those medications your pup is already on? i just dont want to see your pup have a problem because of the medications reacting. my pup is on tramadol and rimodyl for hers, it was 3 months that she couldnt walk at all had high fevers, and so on. hers was very serious, the vets told me it was one of the worst cases theyve ever seen. now shes finally almost out of the woods. (age wise) and physically shes almost 100%. she just needs a little more muscle in her backside. shes off of her tramadol now, and going to start getting off of her rimodyl soon, and slowly. im currently talking to a guy who has a 14wk old german shepard that just got HOD. he posted on here, and i e-mailed him. if you ever want to talk about anything, have any questions, or anything, feel free to e-mail me at Almagro at AOL dot COM. i also have some questions for you about it, i would really enjoy talking to you!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 11:38:45 am »
Welcome to BPO!  As Tina mentioned, we had a great discussion here a few weeks ago with the country's leading expert on this topic, Linda Arndt. 

Here's the link to that thread:  http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,19392.msg238803.html#msg238803

Also, I would strongly suggest visiting Linda's web site, reading her articles, e-mailing her for assistance, and following her instructions to the letter:  http://www.greatdanelady.com/

It is through the extensive research that Linda has conducted that most of the current information about HOD was developed.  She is a wonderful resource!

The most important thing to recognize is that the main factor in HOD is nutrition.  Many commercial dog foods are simply inappropriate for large breed dogs.  Veterinarians get extremely little training in canine nutrition during vet school, so most don't understand the role nutrition plays in orthopedic problems like this. 

One of Holly's Great Danes has HOD

Nope, no HOD here. ;D  Mattie has megaesophagus--is that what you were thinking of?

Um, yeah, I'm a dork ::)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 12:13:29 pm »
Linda Arndt is GREAT, she has been such a help to me with Jack's growth issues, which we first thought were Pano, and then found out was actually elbow dysplasia.  But we are now following her othopedic feeding/supplement program.  She strongly recommends feeding Eagle Pack Large & Giant Breed Puppy as the first step in solving your pups problems.  Check out her website for more info.  Here's the link to the HOD program.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/feed_program_for_hod.htm

Here's the link for Eagle Pack so you can find the store closest to you that sells it.  I'd advise that you call them before you go to make sure they have the Large Breed Puppy formula, as there are many Eagle Pack formulas and they don't always carry all of them at the same time.  Make sure you get the regular (not the Holistic variety) as it is the one that is proven to work to treat these conditions.

http://www.eaglepack.com/retailer_search/

Good luck, feel free to email me if you have any questions!
- Cortney
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:09:29 pm »
Thanks everybody!  It will take me a little time to go through all of these resources...I am in law school, so I am busy.  I will report back as soon as I can.  Thanks again!  I am so glad that we found this forum!

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 01:18:32 am »
Can somebody let us know about how much we can expect to pay for the Eagle Pack food?  It shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to know what to expect b/c we have to drive an hour away to the nearest retailer.

ETA:  P.S.  We named him Charlie.

P.P.S.  We have stopped using the aspirin and his fever hasn't returned so far.  He is now on tramadol and rimadyl, and seems to be doing better for the last few days...but he is still moving kinda slowly and awkwardly.  The vet said he seems to be in less pain than he was a few weeks ago, so I am grateful for that.  It's hard to watch him suffer.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:33:12 am by nolagirl05 »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 09:11:50 am »
It's nice to hear Charlie is doing better  ;D
I believe that a big bag Eagle Pack costs about $40

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 10:42:33 am »
Awww. Poor Charlie! Thank goodness he has a loving family to get him through this and make him comfortable along the way. :)

Can somebody let us know about how much we can expect to pay for the Eagle Pack food?  It shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to know what to expect b/c we have to drive an hour away to the nearest retailer.

Miles gets Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy, and I could not find it for the life of me. Alot of places carry the Eagle Pack, but some didn't carry this specific formula because they didn't get alot of large breeds in there...and some had it..but were ALWAYS out of it. Definitely call the retailer before you drive an hour away to get it. The Super Premium Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy is actually very cheap, especially for how great a food it is for our giants! Where I finally found it, it is only 28 dollars for a 33 pounds bag. I have seen it as much as 36 though. The Holistic version is around 36-40 (although this is not recommended by Linda since the research was done on the regular).

Best of luck to you and Mr. Charlie.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 02:22:48 pm »

ETA:  P.S.  We named him Charlie.

P.P.S.  We have stopped using the aspirin and his fever hasn't returned so far.  He is now on tramadol and rimadyl, and seems to be doing better for the last few days...but he is still moving kinda slowly and awkwardly.  The vet said he seems to be in less pain than he was a few weeks ago, so I am grateful for that.  It's hard to watch him suffer.

If you can't find it near you, you can get it from www.petfooddir ect.com   The 33 lb bag is $42 including shipping.  You will pay about $30-$35 at most stores so the shipping probably costs about as much as the gas you'll use to drive far away.  Plus you'll save yourself 2 hours and you know they have it.

www.waggintail s.com and www.dogfooddir ect.com also carry it but shipping is based on the zip code so I don't know how much it would be for you from either of those.

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »
Thanks everybody!  We will probably just have it shipped...unle ss something comes up where we need to go up to Memphis anyway.  We pretty much have to drive an hour away to do any major shopping...we live in a small college town.

I am trying to educate myself about this condition and do whatever we can to help out little Charlie.  Thanks again!

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 06:18:09 am »
This is Adam, The boyfriend. Nolagirl05 is out of town for the night. Charlie is in alot of pain, which is why I'm stil up at 3:11am our time.
It looks like to me his two front legs at the "ankle" are severely swollen. He is barely able to walk. we still have him on the two drugs mentioned earlier but they seem to not be woking.
I was wondering 1st. Is it okay to give him Bayer Low Dose 81mg along with the other drugs.
2nd i was wondering if it possible his legs can be swollen from this HOD?
I hate this so much , I wish he would just grow up over night. It's so hard seeing him in so much pain.
When he does walk its like his front legs are bowed outward and totally stiff. The knees are like they don't bend.
I have been carrying him out to the yard for the bathroom, but I wonder if it's actully good for him to try and walk.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Sorry for rambling. I'm just worried.
I hope tomorrow is a much better day for him. He is the sweetest dog I've ever owned. Seeing him in pain just kills me.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and knowledge.

Adam

Oxford MS.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 07:55:52 am »
Hi Adam.  I'm so sorry that Charlie is having such a tough time of it.   :(  I have no experience with HOD, but there are a number of people on the board that do know quite a bit about it and I'm sure that they'll be on to help you soon.  I just wanted to help a little until they can be on to help you more. 
1.  I wouldn't give him the Bayer asprin b/c mixing an NSAID like Rimidyl with asprin is generally pretty risky.  It can cause bleeding in the digestive tract or worse, so I'd definately avoid asprin.
2.  I think that the swelling is indicative of the HOD from what I've understood and I wonder if you could give him some temporary relief with cold or ice packs.  I would be very careful to move them around often enough to avoid frost bite (even through his furry little pyr puppy coat), but it might help.  Ice could help to bring down some of the swelling and also to numb the area. 

Poor baby!  I'm so sorry that you all are going through this.  I'm sending him a kiss from me and my pyrs are sending him gentle snuffles & slobbers.   :-*  I hope that he gets through this quickly!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 09:23:12 am »
Hey Adam. Your poor little Charlie :'( I don't know alot about HOD either but I just thought I'd at least give something before the HOD experts peak their heads in.

I would definitely not add any meds before you get the ok by your vet. I'm sure you could call them first thing in the morning and see what the vet recommends.

Also, I agree an ice pack might make him feel a bit better. I don't know how much it will actually bring the swelling down but it's worth a shot.

Also, I think right now, it is good that you're carrying him outside. He doesn't need to put anymore pressure on those joints at the moment. I mean, it is good for them to walk to keep all the muscles and everything in shape, but now...I'm sure he's happy you're carrying him and he doesn't have to be in pain walking outside.

Hope the little guy feels better soon!! And Adam, get some sleep!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 11:25:55 am »
Any update on Charlie today?  I've been thinking about him since I read Adam's post.  I hope he is feeling at least a little better.  Let us know.   :-\