Author Topic: HYPERTROPHIC OSTEODYSTROPHY (HOD)  (Read 13397 times)

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
Re: HYPERTROPHIC OSTEODYSTROPHY (HOD)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 04:25:37 pm »
This is Carrie.  Charlie seems to be feeling a little better today...some of the swelling has gone down.  He is still having a little trouble getting around, but he's playing today so that's a good sign.  It's almost like he has the worst problems every weekend, like clockwork.

Thanks for your help and concern, everybody!
Charlie - Great Pyrenees (DOB 5/1/07)
Nola & Roo - beautiful kitties

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 04:57:33 pm »
I'm so glad that little Charlie is feeling better.  I hope that this is all behind you guys soon and that he's back to being a happy, playful puppy all of the time.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 05:37:10 pm »
hi, im sorry about your little guy! i know what youre going through. my pup is finally recovering from HOD. yes, it will cause the legs to swell, in front or in back, or both. Chloes hocks and knees used to get really bad. try wrapping them in cold packs to reduce some of the swelling. it wont take it all away, but it will help. i know how the relapses are... it was like Chloe would relapse EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY, it was tough. the temp is really something thats most important to watch. thats really the part that if a pup dies from HOD, its the usual culprit. along with dehydration. if the temp gets too high (104-106) a cool shower will help. but do call your vet if it gets to 106. they might want you to bring him in then. i hope this doesnt last too long for you! Chloes lasted about 3 months, but shes running and playing and everything now. its tough but hang in there!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:40:05 pm by RMSChloe »
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 03:09:11 pm »
I thought I'd give everybody an update on Charlie.  The vet changed his medicine from rimadyl to deramaxx, and it seems to have helped tremendously.  This is the first weekend that he has been able to walk in over a month.  He is still on the tramadol as well.  Now that he's getting around better, we have other problems like keeping him from chewing up everything in sight!  But I'd rather have that problem than a sick puppy.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 11:45:53 pm »
Just wanna say Thanks to all of you.
Last night we bought Charlie a KONG Toy, The one where you put the treats inside and I gotta say "It's the best dog toy ever".
He loves it and it keeps him busy.

Adam

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 10:22:42 am »
I am glad to hear that Charlie is feeling better he is such a doll.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 05:08:55 pm »
Just wanna say Thanks to all of you.
Last night we bought Charlie a KONG Toy, The one where you put the treats inside and I gotta say "It's the best dog toy ever".
He loves it and it keeps him busy.

Adam

Another great interactive toy is the Tricky Treat Ball.  You just put a handful of their regular food in it and they have to roll it around to get it out.  Our pups love it.  We usually just short each meal a bit and then give them the rest in that ball a little later.  That way they don't get unnecessary calories, and they have fun getting some of their daily food.  Plus it keeps them busy for about 20 minutes, and that's ALWAY good!

Here's a link, but they carry it at Petsmart too.  It's a little cheaper online, but then you have to pay shipping so it's probably a wash.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-TTLG-Tricky-Treat/dp/B0002DK26M
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 06:38:53 pm »
Charlie has gone about 3 weeks now without a problem!  I don't want to jinx it, but I wanted to share about his progress.  He is feeling so much better...he's like a different dog.  It might recur at some point, but we think the deramaxx must be helping b/c he starts to limp if we don't give it to him first thing every day...and we also got the right food for him.

Now that he is getting around better, we are having major issues with preventing him from chewing up everything in sight.  Does anybody have advice on crate training?  He seems to have had a bad experience before we adopted him, because he is seriously resistant to the crate...but if we don't figure it out, he's going to destroy the house.  We've tried putting his food in there and throwing treats in there...he will go on and right back out as quickly as possible.  I really don't want to force him.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 07:09:03 pm »
I'm sooo glad that Charlie is feeling better.  That much be a huge relief for you, too! 

Hmmm, crate training.  Well, we've had really good luck with a Kong stuffed with peanut butter and either treats or regular kibble.  We also have torn up bits of Mellow Mutt Chicken Breast strips and mixed it into the PB.  This has kept our puppies busy until they've relaxed and dozed off.  In time, our's didn't seem to mind the crate even without a treat. Now that everyone here is over 2, we seldom (if ever) crate, but it's good to be able to when it's needed.  I know that there are other treat ball/cube types of things out there that others have been happy with, too so you might want to check out some of those, too.  I'd just start out with a fairly short time and a really yummy treat to make it fun for him. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees