Author Topic: If a dog is really tired will it refuse food for a whole day and just sleep?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
Our dog Ella hasn't eaten a thing all day and has slept most of the day too. She is really not herself. She was taken for a walk today but also gave up on the walk half way through and lay down.

She was spayed 13 days ago. We were away yesterday and friends came over to walk her. They walked her for about an hour and half an hour later on, when she also lay down and didn't want to walk anymoe.

As she was a rescue dog and had been in kennels for six long months we had only just been taking her for 20/30 min walks since her stitches came out at nine days (10 mins with stitches).

Is she just exhausted from all that walking, hence the tiredness and no appetite? She last ate late last night.

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
her stitch site seems ok. and we don't have a doggy thermometer...

She has followed us upstairs though so she's showing some interest, but not in food. and she only drank a little water hours ago.

We thought maybe she could be sore in her abdomen as that walk yesterday would have been her longest in six months. And 12 days after surgery.

She just keeps falling asleep....

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
Ella's adorable~!  None of my dogs has ever refused food just because their tired, but, if they're not feeling well, they will.  My dogs and Kids and I did a 13 mile hike this Spring, and both dogs layed around doing absolutely nothing for about 1 1/2 days afterwards, but, they still ate (they're piggies that way). It is possible Ella pulled muscles on her walk, and because of this isn't feeling well.  Is she drinking water and staying hydrated?  If not, you might want to have her checked.  If she's drinking water, I'd probably wait a day or two before worrying too much.

Good luck, I hope she feels better soon  :)
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
thanks for the replies. she drank water about four or five hours ago. as she's just been sleeping since I guess she wouldn't need any more water just now.
she just went out to toilet which is a good sign too.

if she's sore and tired us fussing over her and trying to get her to eat and go outside has probably bothered her too. I'll leaver her till morning and see if she'll manage a 10 min walk around the block. If she doesn't eat tomorrow I'll have to pop into the vet and ask though.

thanks again.

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
Thanks Holly.

You were spot on! Rang the local vet and took her straight over - very handy as it's only down our street.
She has an infection and a tmp of 104. Got an antibiotic jab and tablets.

Was definitely good to get her seen to quickly. She can sleep all she wants now and we won't have to worry about her. Getting the tablets into her will be fun if she doesn't eat of course.

THanks Holly

Adrian

p.s. I think you were one of the first to suggest what cross breed Ella is when I introduced her two weeks ago.

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
I'll try her with some sliced ham. How could she refuse?!

You can probably tell that this is my first dog - EVER!

But yes, we will all get to know each other better and understand her moods better. She is so well behaved and such a pet she couldn't be easier to live with.

Nicole

Hey Byrnsey,
 I just wanted to make you aware of the fact (you may have already begun to notice) that Holly is right about EVERYTHING. If Holly says it, write it down, put it on your wall, and do it. :)

Hi, I'm Nicole. My pooches are Cabeza and Mabel, two big black hairy babies. I'm also a Holly disciple. :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Oh what a great picture collage of Ella. What a pretty girl.