Author Topic: switching dog food-help please!  (Read 1558 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
switching dog food-help please!
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:28:08 pm »
I was thinking of switching the dogs from Natural Balance Duck & Potato to Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken.  Does anyone have any experience with that brand? My friend with goldens swears by it.  My pyr, Bo, is grain sensitive and can really only tolerate oats/flax/brown rice.  Wheat & corn wreck her tummy.
Thanks for the help!!
Jenn, Bo & Floyd
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: switching dog food-help please!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 05:33:46 pm »
I don't know bout that brand, sorry. But anytime you are making a switch in foods you should follow the 25, 50,75 plan. 25% new food-75% old food, recommended three days (I usually go as long as the dogs have any loose stool)then 50%-50% for three days then 75%-25% for three dys.

Hope that makes sense...lol. This will help you to determine how your dogs are going to do on the new food before they get on it 100%

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:56:51 pm »
I'm thinking of switching because they've been on the Natural Balance for quite some time...perhaps it's anthropomorphi sing, but they seem to be very disinterested in their kibble unless I "doctor" it up with cheese or something tasty.  They will literally leave a full bowl of kibble all day until I come home from work and make a fuss over it.  I read about Barking at the Moon, which is a grain free Solid Gold food, so I wondered about that, as well.  The other issue is availability.. .some of the super premium dog foods aren't readily available in my area where it's either feed store or Petco.  I don't have to change their food, I just thought it might be time to switch to something new to get them excited about eating kibble again. ;)
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:00:15 pm »
Cirra is now on a raw diet however before that we had her on Evo and she seemed to like it.  You may be able to find some of the better pet foods at a health food store.