Author Topic: ELLA update. Ever experienced post-vaccination limb soreness?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
ELLA update. Ever experienced post-vaccination limb soreness?
« on: September 26, 2007, 09:12:50 am »
Hi all,

For those that read we took Ella to the vet on Tuesday as she became suddenly became very listless and had no appetite. The vet thought it may be an infection - AS HOLLY suggested. She had temp of 104C (not sure what that is in Fahrenheit!). Gave her antibiotics.
Yesterday she was just as listless and also whined when she tried to move and seemed to have physical pain so I thought it was something more than an infection.
Brought her in again and she got an anti-inflammatory this time. This morning she was a much better dog and no whining, so the anti-inflammatory must have worked.

But worked on what? Today the vet asked had she been vaccinated recently. She was just last Thursday. I had told the nurse this initially of course. So, the vet says dogs - but usually just pups - can get joint pains 3 to 4 days after vaccination. It is possible that Ella never had never been vaccinated - she's a rescue dog with no history. This may be what caused her some pain. Not sure about the temp though. Either way she is on anti-infl and antibiotics for a few more days.

Finally, my QUESTION - have any of you very experienced and knowledgeable members seen this reaction in your dogs? She is still very tired and sticks to her bed. Even when eating last night (thankfully) she kept one paw in the bed, then reversed back into it :-)

Adrian, for Ella.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: ELLA update. Ever experienced post-vaccination limb soreness?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:21:43 am »
What kind of vaccination you are talking about? Rabies? Dog do have reactions to that one. When Lily got it for the first time she was really quiet and had nastiest poops ever  >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:43:10 am »
no rabies jab. just the regular ones like dog flu, parvo virus...I'd have to check the papers.
we live in England so the jabs are probably different here and there's no rabies threat.

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 01:38:44 pm »
Last year after his vacs Strider laid around in his cage for four days, didn't eat much I could barely get him outside. It was was truely alarming to see my hyper perpetual motion machine so subdued. He came out of it though and I have comprimised by only having the "extra" vacs every other year.
Stella

Hi gr8dame,

Did your perpetual motion machine :-) feel ill immediately or a few days later. Ella took ill four days after her jabs. And did yours also get a temperature? This is three days of her being really out of it, though less today. So we are really hoping she is even more normal tomorrow.
Unfortunately she is due to get the booster vaccination next Thursday  -why can't the one jab do it rather than two in two weeks?

Adrian

Offline byrnsey

• Gnawer
  • Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 02:52:43 pm »
true. I can ask her that. Her system would be just recovering, so I think it would be a bit much to hit it again so soon. We shall see.

We can't wait to bring her for a nice walk again. Two weeks home with us and she was just really settling into her home when this had to happen.

Things can only get better for her.