Author Topic: How big is your Newfie??  (Read 8622 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
How big is your Newfie??
« on: September 27, 2007, 12:16:59 pm »
Bodhi is 15 months old, and about 130lbs.  I don't think he is getting any longer or taller, but he seems to be bulking out more...either that or he is just getting more fur, lol. 

How big is your Newf?  And at what age did they completely stop growing??
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How big is your Newfie??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:40 pm »
I had a small newf before...he was only 110lbs but he didn't fill up until 3 years.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:27:38 pm »
Kali is 105 consistant now at almost three. She seamed to stop growing at about 15 months but then had one last small growth spurt at about two, the same time she really filled out like everyone is talking about. height i couldn't give you but I would guess it at around 33" to the top of her head as she walks head held high, and probable 25" at the top of her shoulders. She is on the smaller side but like Melissa said its better for them to be lean and muscular than obese.

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:17:22 pm »
Yikes!  Is my Bodhi a monster?? LOL!  I've read that normal size for male Newfies is 130-150 lbs.  At 130, Bodhi is not the slightest bit overweight...o ur vet said he might actually be a bit thin.  He stands about 36-37" from the floor to the top of his head...I am almost 6' tall, and he comes up to my hips!!  The DNR trapped a bear at my friend Patty's house last month...and it was smaller than Bodhi, LOLOL. 

Our trainer has Irish Wolf Hounds...now THOSE are BIG dogs!!!

Bodhi - Newfoundland
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 02:35:15 pm »
I can feel Bodhi's ribs easily.  He was neutered at about 6-7 months of age (probably should have done it sooner, but my dad's cat died after being spayed which freaked me out enough to avoid Bodhi's surgery for a couple months!)His father was a big boy...about 140lbs....so he must be a Chip Off the Old Block!! 

Isn't it funny....when you live with a giant breed dog every day you get used to their size.....and then you take them out in public and watch people's eyes bug out....lolol.. ..
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:36:47 pm by shine »
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 02:37:19 pm »
Well make you feel better.. Fumble is a bigger newf too. Don't worry there are some newfs that are BIG! Fumbles dad was only 2 and a little under 200lbs and wasn't the least big heavy!! Fumble just turned 2 in July and weighs 160 right now, but hes also on Seph and Prednizone right now. But Im pretty sure Fumble was about that size when he was 15 mths old. As long as you can feel the ribs your fine! I would love to see a picture of your Big Newf!! I always feel the bigger the better!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »
Rosie is 4 years old and 120lbs right now. At this weight, you can still feel her ribs easily. Her lightest adult weight was around 110 lbs, and that was really lean for her, at which point the vet told us we should feed her two cups more per day.

Ultimately, you should really be checking her rib area, to make sure you can easily feel the ribs and also see a curvature in the waist area. It's not about what the weight range specified for the breed, since the dog's size is based on the genes of its parents.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:40:19 am »
Your pup sounds normal and healthy. Bear just turned 5 and weighs 150 lbs. but looks thin to me.  :) You can easily feel his ribs and he is a picky eater so I think that keeps him lean or I'm sure he'd be a fatty.  :D His dad was 10 and mom was 160 so he's a bit small. I'd day that he pretty much stopped growing in size just about 2 yrs. old but slowly gained weight 'til he was 3. He's held steady at 150 ever since.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:41:29 am by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 05:29:39 am »
molly is five months old now and is 22 inches at the shoulder and weighs 57lbs...she looks very lean with not a ounce of fat on her. still plenty of growing to do yet lol
 :o
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 01:33:14 pm »
Here is a picture of Bodhi on his first birthday.  It's one of my favorites, because it is so HIM...big tongue lolling out of his mouth, in motion and needing to be held down! LOL!!  That's my Bodhi!!
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 08:11:47 pm »
aww  Bodi is sooo cute!!!  He sounds normal to me.  if you're vet seems concerned then i would be worried, but it sounds like he's just your average newF! a BIG baby!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 05:49:01 pm »
If you can feel his ribs by slightly pushing, then he is fine:) that is the most important. my boy, rudder, is VERY large. He is 160 right now and only 18 months old...he is also VERY lean. He hasn't started to fill out yet. He is lanky right now. Every newf is different in their growth. Rudder's dad, lincoln, didn't completely fill out until 4 years old!!! We met his father's owner last week and they mentioned that Rudder will fill out at the same rate..holy smokes! We wanted big...eeks!:)

Offline zeus1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 06:17:21 pm »
Zeus is about 135 pounds and he is a year an half , but I only feed him about a cup in the morning an a cup at night with some kind of snack inbetween like apples, or cottage cheese stuff like that. He seems to be on the shorter size for newfies to me but stalky. I cant see him filling out much more lol but who knows id like him to be taller lol but i dont think its in the genes! When people say feeling ribs are we talking like you can feel them real good or just that u push on the side an feel them? I always wondered

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:36 pm »
Hello!

Our Newfs weigh the following:  Klondike, 4.5 yrs old 150lbs,
Madison (Klondike's littermate) 4.5 yrs. old 120-128 lbs.,
Kelso, 3 yrs. old, 128-135lbs, very lean,

McKayla pup, just turned a year, last weigh about 3 months ago, she was 95 lbs. 

I agree as long as you can feel their ribs & they stay active, like swimming in the summer etc...they will maintain a great weight.

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:46:11 pm by pitas »

Offline MandyL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 04:11:46 pm »
I love the big Newfie's there adorable

Tyke is exactly 5 months now, I weighed him the other day at 5 stone/66lbs. Is that ok for his age? small/large/average???

I've also changed, well in the process of changing his food, now feeding hime Science plan as I'd been told Royal Canin protein content was way to high. Any one think this one's ok?

I'm confused as to who's boss, when I don't give him attention he'll bark really angerly and loud at me but when I tell him to sit or stay he'll do it but starts barking again. He doesn't do it with my boyfriend as he'll just pup him outside. So he's listening but is he? Was anyone else's pup like this? When he know's his annoyed my boyfriend he'll come and lick me and sit beside me as I always stick up for him, but the barking at me....am I a door mat? :(

Sorry for all the q's but there's not many ppl in my area to ask.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:14:11 pm by MandyL »