Author Topic: Belly bumps?  (Read 26298 times)

Offline windweaver

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Belly bumps?
« on: September 30, 2007, 12:12:27 pm »
Hi! I'm Molly's mom, a dear dal/pit mix who runs our house. She has developed a condition which I am uncertain how to deal with. She has bumps on her belly, about 10 of them, and she's scratching them incessantly. Some are red and look like mosquito bites and some she has scratched until they bled and are scabbed. There are 10 of these bumps.
So, my question is, did she sit in a mosquito huddle, mayhaps? She's had K9 Advantix applied within the last 40 days...hmmm. I may have answered my own question.
Well, I'm looking forward to chatting with other dal folk; we also have a rottador, so big paws is what we do here.
Windweaver
Mom to
Ladybug-10 yo Rottador
Molly-4 yo Dal/Pit/?
Lucy-2 mo SetterX
Tygercat

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Belly bumps?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:33:01 pm »
Hi there Windweaver.  I'm Misty and you can see all my fur-kids in my signature.  Welcome to BPO and I really hope you enjoy it here and also know you will find a lot of useful and very helpful information.  Speaking of info, I have no idea what the bumps may be or what caused them but if they are irritating her to the point of scaring and scabbing I think it may be best to take her in to the vet for a professional opinion.  It could be an allergy or a reaction to the Advatix but either way you will need to rule out all the potential causes. 

I hope to see pictures of Molly very soon and again, welcome to BPO. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 02:56:48 pm »
We have a member whose dane recently had belly bumps -
Miss R, where are ya? What was that on Chloe's belly again?
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 04:55:21 pm »
Welcome Windweaver!  Our dogs had some bumps here early in the summer.  Our's improved a few days after we applied Advantage (no ticks here, thank goodness) and fleas are only an occasional problem in the summer.  Although they didn't get any new bumps or bites after that, it did take up to a week for the old ones to resolve.  If only one of your dogs has the bumps (and only on the tummy where hair is sparse), they also might be spider bites.  We've seen that once or twice, too.  You might want to get them checked out by the vet though if they don't go away quickly or if Molly has any other symptoms.  Dal/Pitty and Rottador puppers?   ;D  They sound adorable!  We have Daisy a Goldenador Retriever, Sammy a Great Pyrenees, Cassie a Pyr-surprise mix.   ;)  :D  Glad you found us!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 05:06:36 pm »
here's a link that nina posted (dibby dog).  anywho, it has a chart with conditions, descriptions, etc of skin ailments in dogs.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/skin.htm

it says:

Condition:
Allergic and Irritant
Contact Dermatitis

Description:
Reaction of the pet's skin to something it had contact with such as wool or plastics

Symptoms:
Red skin and small bumps or blisters on the areas of skin that are sparsely haired and directly exposed to the offending substance, itching

Diagnosis:
Patch test, exclusion trials

Treatment:
Restrict exposure to the allergen or contact irritant in the pet's environment, steroids, antihistamines
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bacterial Infection

Often occurs as a result of another condition

Redness, pustules, bumps, sometimes itching

Microscopic examination of smear; culture

Treat underlying condition; topical and/or oral antibiotics
----------------------------------------------------------
Chiggers (Harvest mites)

Seasonal disease caused by larvae of the chigger

Itching, bumps usually on feet, abdomen, folds at base of ears

Visualization of mite larvae or microscopic examination of skin scraping

Permethrin (Dogs ONLY) or Pyrethrin
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:12:02 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 05:23:47 pm »
ah, i am here. my dane had bumps on her belly for a while, they didnt *seem* to bother her, (but she could have been chewing on them or whatever behind my back) they were there for a while, then turned into pustules (basically pimples, i could pop them... and yeah i popped one or two to see what was inside.) and then they got flakey and crusty sooooooooo to the vet. turned out to be Pyoderma. she was on an antibiotic and given a special follecular flushing shampoo. then ta da! in a few days it was gone. just so ya know... pyoderma is the second most common skin disease in dogs. first is a flea reaction. its a bacterial infection caused by Staphylococcus .. basically, its a staph infection. take the poochie to a vet, get it checked out. dont give yourself a headache! lol
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »
i just remembered i had some pics of it. this is when it first started, and just to let you know, hers was very severe. most of them dont have this many bumps! i also just read that it may or may not itch them.

Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!