Author Topic: Rally competition with a big dog  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Rally competition with a big dog
« on: September 30, 2007, 05:56:34 pm »
OK....anyone with a big dog competing in Rally? We tried it for the first time 2 weekends ago. Got our first leg on saturday (YEAH) but on Sunday, we didnt qualify for "lack of briskness"!!!!!!! I was told that time didn't matter! anyone else have this experience?? Rudder isn't the most fleet of foot!!!!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Rally competition with a big dog
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:07:53 pm »
Yes, we are competing in Rally. Lily has two legs so far :)

About the "lack of briskness"... It all depends on a judge. Some are very nice about it and do give you extra credit for bringing your monster into a ring, LOL!

But if you read Rally rules you will see that it does say "the dog must heel briskly" or something like that  ::)

We used to have the same problem during training and one of the teachers had noted that I am slowing down because I think that my dog is slow and big. She told me to increase my speed 3-4 times and Lily actually loved it and gave me more attention than what I was getting before.

Good luck, it is so much fun!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:09:06 pm »
OH good idea! I think I do slow down!!!! thanks! I have class on Wednesday. i will try that! thanks! good luck on leg #3!!!!!

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 07:20:10 pm »
We did rally along with agility in puppy class. Kali was much better at it than I was. I couldnt give her the commands properly but oh well.