Author Topic: New Puppy HELP!!!  (Read 2368 times)

Offline captainjiener

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New Puppy HELP!!!
« on: October 02, 2007, 12:08:55 am »
We just picked up Mallow a soft coated wheaten terrier 5 days ago.  We are trying to get her kennel trained, but she keeps going potty in the kennel overnight and even during the day when she is in there for 1 hour.  Our breeder told us that we shouldn't take her out until the morning, but each morning there is potty on the towel.  I put something into the kennel to make it smaller, but Mallow keeps making a mess... ANY IDEAS?
concerned owner

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New Puppy HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:22:43 am »
Don't leave a towel or anything soft in her kennel.

Also, puppies usually can't hold all night and need to be taken out ones or twice.

What in the world this tiny paws doing here? (kidding  ;D)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline captainjiener

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:27:52 am »
Thanks for the advice.  Is this site for big or older dogs.  I just started to get fusterated and googled to see if i could get advice.

adorable dog!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:29:54 am »
Thanks for the advice.  Is this site for big or older dogs.  I just started to get fusterated and googled to see if i could get advice.

adorable dog!

You can get plenty of great advise here! We love dogs of all shapes and colors  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 04:33:45 am »
Welcome to BPO!  Awww, Mallow is completely adorable!  I don't know anything about Wheaton Terriers (yet  ;)  ;D) but after seeing her cute picture, I'm going to do some research on the breed.  BTW, I have to agree with Julie & PW, overnight seems awfully long to expect a young puppy to hold it.  We've crate trained our pups in the past and we always needed to take them out 1-2X per night for the first month or two at least, sort of like tiny babies needing a diaper change during the night.  I really hope that you stay around and post more pics, I'd really love to see more of Mallow as she grows.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:42:42 am »
I totally agree with the "cheerleader" tip.  I take it one step further, though, by giving a very small treat. (something delicious that she can swallow quickly.  They sell special training treats at most pet stores.)  In my experience, puppy's tend to be very food motivated and will do anything for tasty bite.  So when you take the baby out to potty, as soon as she does her business, praise her with your happiest and most excited voice and quickly give her the treat.  (It helps to keep a bag of them by the door)  Soon she'll associates pottying outside with good things.  ;D 

BTW, I'm Amy - mom to 2 yorkie mixes and 2 great pyrenees.  Congrat's on your gorgeous baby!  I love Wheatons!  And don't worry, she'll figure it all out before you know it!