Author Topic: In Heat?!?!  (Read 5085 times)

mama23+pyrs2

In Heat?!?!
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:05:31 pm »
Hubby found splatters of blood on the floor in the kitchen after he let Yiska out of her crate this morning to go outside.. we were wondering where it came from but had no idea. Well, we just let her out of her crate again to go outside and I just went in there and more blood drips outside of her crate. Haven't seen anything before now. I'm gonna look her over when she comes back in and make sure I don't see anything obvious. I've never had a dog go into heat before.. what should I expect, could this be it? Geez, she's only 9 months old. :-\

Lyn

Re: In Heat?!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:29:10 pm »
How is Yukon behaving around her? When Lola went into heat Bubba let me know before I even noticed blood and I completely seperated them from that day on.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:33:33 pm »
K, thanks. Yeah that is what it appears. She is pretty messy looking down below so we will give her a bath this wknd.. is there anything I should know? I've been looking it up online, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to this. I guess it was good that I planned on fixing Yukon this month..within the next week or 2 if they can get him in. I thought he knew something was coming, his nose (and other things) has been glued to her. UGH. I read that she isn't fertile until like 7-10 days after the bleeding starts so is the worst of his behavior yet to come? Cause right now, he's not going TOO insane (being seperated from her, together- forget it)..though we stopped letting them be together a few days ago because he wouldn't leave her alone.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:35:19 pm by mama2many »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:39:22 pm »
Yeah, I think I remember you saying that Yukon was pretty obsessed with her recently.  That would certainly explain his behavior and his trouble with not eating enough.  My boys used to lose 15-20 pounds when one of the girls went into heat. 

There's no danger of him getting her pregnant for at least a week after her heat starts.  Ovulation is usually between 10 and 16 days, although we had one that ovulated on day 22, so don't slack up on the watching too early!  That said, it's still better to keep them apart, because he will get super obnoxious about it, and until the time when she'll be receptive, she could turn around and tear him to pieces.

WOW, thanks for the information. Yeah, I'm totally paranoid haha. Good to know.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:42:13 pm »
Yiska, what are you doing by going in heat so early???

Should I mail you Lily's super panties? LOL

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 11:45:15 pm »
Yiska, what are you doing by going in heat so early???

Should I mail you Lily's super panties? LOL

Yeah, maybe she was jealous. lol  ;)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 11:48:01 pm »
LOL well, 9 months isnt too early. Jigsaw went into heat at 7.5 months, reba at 8.5 months, both the exact same day. we hadnt neutered Zero yet, and he was perfectly fine for the first week (we boarded him at the vet clinic for a few days durring the next week). but he came home and went absolutely nuts. He wouldnt eat, he lost bout 10lbs, and JUST gained it back. he wouldnt play ball, we had to keep the girls in the kitchen with memphis- and memphis was very interested as well, but neutered ;) for about a month zeros behavour was different. and he finally went back to his normal obnoxious self... and now that hes neutered, we have no real worries ;)
Good luck with this. its not fun LOL. but, its definately not as hard as people make it out to be... when you hear "My dog got pregnant by the mangy neighbours dog" well, you shouldnt have left her un attended. its just common sense :) hahahaha
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 11:50:43 pm »
I am surprised though. Lily and her other sister went in heat the same week (14 months old), her other sister haven't gone yet. Another female I know got it at 17 months. Yiska...jealou s of you  ;) (she wants puppies as well)  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 11:53:40 pm »
OK, yikes!!  I take back the part about no danger of her getting pregnant with them together now!  I was looking up my numbers (since it has been 13 years since I last did any breeding), and I found two important facts:

1. Bitches can ovulate as early as 6 days after the bleeding starts.

2. Dog sperm can survive up to 7 or 8 days.  So, if she ovulates early in her cycle, and his boys are strong, they could do it tomorrow and get her pregnant!  :o

So, be careful! ;D

Holy Cow!! Thanks, my paranoia was well founded lol. Ugh, I just remembered we let them outside together yesterday..wel l hubby did not me. I hope it was still too early for anything. My lord that would be absolutely horrible! Okay, I won't worry myself to death, I worry enough as it is.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:56:18 pm by mama2many »

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 03:02:31 am »
I'm not familiar with Yiska and Yukon's background - I'm assuming they are brother and sister, and you don't want any two headed six legged pups? Or is she just too young for motherhood?
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

chaosndestruction

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 12:47:17 pm »
yes holly's right about the quick wipe with a papertowel...w hen I worked at the kennel (I worked with Labs) I was told to "wiper her MUFFIN with a bit of tissue" k I wasn't laughing or red at the fact that they wanted me to do that but at the fact that she called it a muffin... :o

Yes it's not too hard to keep dogs apart...just don't let Yukons whining and craziness get to you!!!

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 01:08:06 pm »
Lola was in heat for 22 days from start to finish and she bled fairly heavily through the majority of those 22 days. She's was a slob to boot so the mess.. yuck. Definitely get Yiska some undies. I laughed when I saw them in the pet store labled "Bitch Britches" LMAO

The worst part by far was Bubba. He turned into a wild water buffalo. He would litterally try to go through anyone or anything to get to Lola. He stopped eating and spent his days howling, whining, pacing and panting. I wanted to kill him. LOL

I can't say that it wasn't stressful. I was ready to spay Lola mid-heat and neuter Bubba myself. LOL