Author Topic: Does anyones Large Breed have this?  (Read 7646 times)

Offline goldensaint25

• Ankle Biter
  • My babies
    • View Profile
Does anyones Large Breed have this?
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:39:03 am »
Cujo went to the vet last week he turned a year old at the end of July he weighs 130pds and is 36 inches tall. We thought he was on the thin side and the vet said no he was actually very healthy and he should get a little taller and probably will gain another 10pds.We took him to the vet because he had what appeared to be a water filled tumor looking thing on his elbow ended up finding out this is another form of calius* not sure how thats spelled.He said unless it causes him pain he wont lance it or drain it due to being on his elbow which most of the time will not heal. Does anyone else that has large breed dogs have this?Im very greatful it was not anything serious because I love this dog so much Im just wondering how common this is?

Offline goldensaint25

• Ankle Biter
  • My babies
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyones Large Breed have this?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:48:26 am »
yes that picture is exactly what he has on his elbow. I try to get him to sleep on the couch most of the time, but he has a tendency to lay in the kitchen on the tile on the floor. Ill try laying a floormat down in front of the door in the house where he loves to lay maybe the swelling may go down some.

Offline ShaggysMom

• Gnawer
  • Summer by the pool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:35:37 pm »
Haven't had any problems with this but wanted to show you my pup's favorite bed.  It is the large Coolaroo bed.  I got it at Petsmart for about $30.00.  It is by far his favorite - even more that the cool tile floor most nights.  (Hope the pics attach ok)
Mom to 1 giant and 2 large.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:52:35 pm »
This is very common in wolfhounds.  They call them bursas.  I have a friend that has a male that has  bursa that are as big as  melons.  Only on his front elbows, poor guy, it is so hard to get rid of.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline goldensaint25

• Ankle Biter
  • My babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:38:48 pm »
Yeah my dog is still having a hard time getting rid of it. lol I just started letting him lay in my bed now all the time because I dont want him near the kitchen I tried to put a bed down for him and he will not lay on it. Its either my pillows on the couch or my bed or he will lay on the kitchen floor. I would gate my kitchen but my entrance to my kitchen spans all the way across my living room I talk him out of laying out there, but the thing still will not go away.

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:39:02 am »
Here's a site with several solutions for getting rid of hygromas.  Their products are very reasonably priced and based on the testimonials they seem to do the trick.  I've heard vet friends recommend these products as well.

http://www.dogleggs.com/files/hygroma.cfm

Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 01:21:03 pm »
I have heard of these, but have not had that problem with Gunther.  Probably b/c he's spoiled and refuses to lay on any hard surface unless I tell him to.

In fact, we were at a friends' house once and he kept pacing around.  I thought he had to go outside so I let him out several times but he just kept wanting to come back in.  He finally tried to sneak up on the couch, which is a big no no for him.  My friend put a rug on the tile floor and he heaved himself down with a big sigh.  :)