Author Topic: In Memory of Arwen and Aragorn  (Read 10318 times)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
In Memory of Arwen and Aragorn
« on: July 25, 2005, 12:35:18 pm »
I hate to write this as much as I hated to talk to Chelle this morning.  We lost Arwen and her brother Aragorn to the heat this weekend.  I dont know how to say it any other way.

The heat here this weekend was 105 with moderate humidity.  They were in the pasture with the other dogs and goats.  Pleanty of shade, pleanty of water and a pond.  At noon they were ok and at 6 pm they were both dead.

There are times when we do all we can and try to do it right.  Often we can look back and see what we could have done differently.  But not this time.  Short of moving all the dogs (8 of them) into the house with AC, there was nothing I could do or could have forseen.  Because if I could have forseen this they would have all been in the house.

Todd and I have broken hearts as do Chelle and Randy, who were taking Arwen home with them this month.

Chelle and I have talked at length this am and cried together over this.  Pippin, Arwen and Aragorn's brother, did not seem to be effected by the heat, nor did the other dogs or goats.

The heat continues today and tomorrow here in the midwest with a break coming hopefully Tuesday night or Wednesday.  So take extra precautions with your animals this week.  I did, but it did not help..... :'(

Jackie

Pic: Dutch (Nubian) Aragorn and Arwen on the right
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Icerotti

Re: In Memory of Arwen and Aragorn
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 12:37:07 pm »
That is so sad. Hugs and prayers to everyone. :'(

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 12:39:49 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss, Jackie. It's so hard to predict what is going to happen when you do everything you can to make them comfortable outside. With the shade the water and, especially a pond to cool off in, I would think they would have been fine, too - despite the heat.

Maybe it was something else, but despite the reason, your broken heart remains just as full of pain. They look like such sweet angels.

We're all here weeping with you.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 12:39:51 pm »
OMG! I am so sorry for both you and Gypsy! So, so sad!!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 12:40:48 pm »
I am so sorry Jackie.  I am in shock, I wish there were some words to help.  Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Lisa, Dixie Darlin, and Sugar Bear

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 12:41:49 pm »
That is so sad.Im so sorry for your loss.They were so beautiful!Ill say a prayer for you and your family.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 12:47:31 pm »
I am sooo sorry for your loss I know how much she meant to you an Chelle. My prayers are with you
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 12:49:31 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that. 

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 12:50:34 pm »
I too am at a loss for words.  Jackie and Chelle, I am so sorry to hear of such a sad thing, and this truly brings tears to my eyes.  You are all in my thoughts and prayers today.   
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 01:00:37 pm »
Ty everyone...As I think you all know, in my heart, Arwen was already mine...She just didn't live her yet...She will always live in my heart...I am going to take one of the many pics that Jackie sent to me...You know the one...Arwen grinning up at the camera & have my neighbor print it out on photo paper & she will have her place next to Samson on the fireplace mantle as it should be...Funny, but it's like Samson knows...I know he knows I am grieveing but I think it is even more than that...It is as if he understands... I sit on the couch & he lays his big ol' head on my knee & looks up to me as if to say, "I will miss her too Mama"...Normally Samson isn't a laying the head on the knee kind of dog...Today I grieve for Arwen, for Aragorn, for Pippin, the brother left alone, for Jackie & Todd...I am so very sorry...& I grieve for us...My children are handling the news well as children will & have reached out to me in their sweet little way which makes me so very proud of them...Randy is also saddened but is also trying to comfort me...I want to add a big ty to Jackie for delivering this sad news to me the kindest way possible & for crying with me over our little girl...Rest in peace baby girl...We all loved you so...I take comfort knowing you right next to your brother Aragorn as you were while you were here with us...Keep room at The Bridge for me little one....& Jackie, please don't feel badly...You couldn't have known & did everything you could to provide Arwen & Aragorn with comfort from the heat...You are one of the most tuned in & caring dog lovers that I have ever met!  ((((((Jackie))))))
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 01:18:25 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 01:04:08 pm »
OMG Gypsy! You are so sweet and so strong. Your kind words to Jackie and Arwin and your thoughtfulness made me cry so much! I am sure that Samson knows and that he too is grieving for his sister.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 01:04:36 pm »
This is SO sad  :'(

I am sorry for your loss. Both tanimara and gypsy.
RIP former BPO

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 02:11:05 pm »
  I would like to take the time to reply to each and everyone of your posts but considering how many of you have shown us support that would be hard to do.  So may I just say thank you for the support, hugs, and emails I've gotten, not to mention the phone calls from Chelle.  She just called and then I read your posts here and now Im crying again!  Damn it!

Arwen was one of those very special dogs.  Not because I lost her but because she was just special.  She had the tempermant of her ancestor Wolf.  Very quiet, very docile, very loving, and at 5 mo I was very attached to her to say the least.  Aragorn too but Arwen was just so special and she spent more time in the house with us as Aragorn was to be a guardian.

As a breeder of Pyrs for 20 years, I have lost puppies over the years as any breeder will at times.  You get use to loosing the very little ones to some extent.  But when you have bonded with them like I did with Arwen it's a different story.

I can only say this that Chelle has been very supportive to me instead of the other way around.  She and Randy both have touched my heart.  So with her decision to take Arwen's brother Pippin it has helped me some.  To know that he is going to this very loving home.  For those of you who have seen Lord of The Rings, I think you can picture Pippin's personality.  I think Chelle is in for a treat with Pippin and I think it was meant to be that he go to live with Chelle and Randy and their wonderful family.
Jackie Wood

Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 02:14:42 pm »
How old were these puppies?

Puppies have more trouble regulating their body temperature in the heat, and so do older dogs.

Pyrs have been bred with the coat to be LGDs in mountainous terrain where they probably usually work in cooler temperatures.

I'm so sorry for your loss, they were 2 lovely puppies.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 02:15:49 pm »
Wrong picture of Pippin, try this one.

Jackie
Jackie Wood