Author Topic: bark collar rant  (Read 2460 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
bark collar rant
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:57:19 pm »
ok so i need to rant.  our neighbor has a dog.  i don't mind it except that her and peanut HATE each other for whatever reason and bark constantly when they're both out.  our neighbor got sick of hearing her dog when it started barking constantly to get peanut to bark, even when peanut is inside.  she got a no bark collar, the one that shocks them.  now, the dog screams instead of barking, i assume it picks up vibrations even from growling??  i don't know, but it's painful for us to hear all day.  today, on top of it, she started leaving her dog out ALL day long and occasionally goes and takes the collar off, but comes back just a few minutes later and puts it back on.  now, i feel like i can't even potty my dogs b/c of it.  not to mention even if the dog doesn't distract mine by yelping, my dogs won't potty b/c they're so upset / worked up over just being outside!  it makes me so mad, it's either yelping or barking non stop now.  the collar just makes everyone more miserable, esp the dog  :(  i can't imagine what that dog's mental status is considering she is so iffy about the collar.  now it's on now it's off, now you can bark now you can't.  it even confuses me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:59:12 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: bark collar rant
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:01:18 pm »
Have you tried talking to your neighbor? Maybe you could arrange time for potty breaks or playing so both of you could relax and not worry about barking  ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:09:33 pm »
i'm going to after today.  i've noticed she leaves a lot during the day, so i might be s.o.l.  i know she has a crate, but the dog screams when she's in it, too, so we still hear her except then we hear her inside out house.  i actually think that's why she stays outside is b/c the neighbors on the other side complained when she was crated all day  :-\

modified to add she is in and out 99% of the day, and the poor pooch stays either crated or outside almost constantly between 7am and about 3-4pm.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:11:06 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:24:30 pm »
That sounds awful...poor dog.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:05:59 am »
How long has the dog lived there and any idea on how old the dog is?  I know when I first moved in with Navarre, he barked for awhile but when he got used to the sights/sounds of the backyard then he was good.  I'm going through that right now with Issy since she's "found" her bark!!  She's ok with the dogs behind me but the one on the side (that she can't see) they have a bark fest every morning cause they go out at about the same time, but not for long just in little bursts!!  I'm very lucky in that both my neighbors have dogs and they're both like, "hey, dogs bark, it's what they do!"  It sounds like the owner isn't very consistent, either crate the dog or leave her/him outside,(yes 7-3/4 is a long time but that's what most people work realistically) she needs to get used to a routine no matter what it is!  And the whole collar thing, God if the dog is yelping in pain something is WRONG!!!!  Hopefully something will get better for this poor dog, good luck!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix