Author Topic: Ranger Gave Me a Scare Today! (Very Long)  (Read 6614 times)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Ranger Gave Me a Scare Today! (Very Long)
« on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:06 pm »
No, not a Halloween topic!  Ranger gave me quite a scare today...  He is okay now, but he ate something he shouldn't have - like an entire bag of Reese's peanut butter cups, foil and all.  They were the "white chocolate" kind (which isn't really chocolate at all), so I probably completely over-reacted, but still...

I didn't have to work until later in the day today, but because the dogs refuse to let me sleep any later than 7:00am, I had a couple hours on my hands before I had to get ready for work.  I cleaned out a couple cupboards in the kitchen and found a not-too-old bag of white chocolate Reese's peanut butter cups that I had never eaten, and instead of throwing them out decided to take them in to work for the staff (cause, you know, they love old chocolate).  I left them out on the counter and went to take a shower.  When I got out, Gwen was laying in the bedroom and I went to see where Ranger was (just cause that's how I do).  He was in the living room showing a strange amount of interest in licking the rug.  Once he saw me, he kind of gave me a weird look and lay down in that fake innocent "Who me?  I didn't do anything wrong" kind of way that makes you immediately suspicious.  Underneath him I found the empty zip-lock bag the candy had been in, one lone peanut butter cup pushed way back under the sofa, and NOTHING ELSE but damp carpet.  Panic.  Calls to work to tell them I am not going to be there on time (if at all), calls to my boss for the same, and most importantly a call to the emergency vet.  They told me what I basically knew if I had stopped to think about it - that white chocolate isn't really chocolate and therefore not toxic, but that the amount of foil, sugar and peanut butter that Ranger had eaten probably wasn't too great for him.  I asked her if I should give him hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up and she said that they really only recommend that in extreme emergency cases (it also apparently isn't great for their stomachs), but that I could bring him in if I wanted to and they could have him throw up, just to be safe.  Or I could just watch him for vomiting, diarrhea, etc., etc., for the next two days. 

So, I ended up taking him in because I figured however much it cost me to have him hork up the sugar-pb-foil was probably worth me not going into hysterics every time he burped.  He felt absolutely fine and was thrilled to go for a car ride until he realized where we ended up.  So, in the end, everything came up (the vet tech kindly not only shared with me that I would have been "horrified" by the amount of foil he barfed up, but also that their entire back area now smelled like "peanut butter and puke").  The staff at the emergency vet was very nice, even though I know in their heads they were thinking "OK, whatever freaky paranoid dog lady - we'll make him barf, it's your money.  But you could also just watch TLC all day and check on him every once in a while" - hey, it was THEIR suggestion in the first place.  Ranger has been sleeping off the effects of the vomit-y shot, and I have been cursing myself for being such a bad dog mom. 
I swear, I never in a million years would have thought he would get up on the counter and take that whole bag of food.  He hasn't stole food since, like, his second week with me, (when he stole an entire loaf of bread off a counter and proudly trotted out into the living room with it and jumped up on my lap to eat it, like "Hey, look what I got us!").  Still, I should have known.  I suck.  :(
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Mallory's Mommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Ranger Gave Me a Scare Today! (Very Long)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:49:17 pm »
For the record you do not suck. When I was in middle school my mother was cooking chicken breasts one night for dinner. We were all trying to watch our weight so she removed all the skin and fat from them and threw it away. The family's Shetland sheepdog got into the trashcan, ate all of it, and ended up at the vets office for about a week. She felt terrible, but it's not like you plan on these kinds of things happening.

It's too bad for everyone at work that they never got their chocolate. ;) Glad Ranger is alright!

~ Mary
Mary, mommy to Mallory, the Saint Bernard pup

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 12:31:39 am »
For the record you do not suck. When I was in middle school my mother was cooking chicken breasts one night for dinner. We were all trying to watch our weight so she removed all the skin and fat from them and threw it away. The family's Shetland sheepdog got into the trashcan, ate all of it, and ended up at the vets office for about a week. She felt terrible, but it's not like you plan on these kinds of things happening.

It's too bad for everyone at work that they never got their chocolate. ;) Glad Ranger is alright!

~ Mary

Oh, that's horrible!  But, you're right - accidents happen.  I am just glad he is okay.  Funnily enough, when I called my staff at work today to tell then I was home from the vet, but wouldn't be in, I was telling the details of the story a little more.  One of my co-workers goes "Wait a minute - he ate chocolate that was supposed to be for US?  He and I need to talk."  Ranger apparently owes her some peanut butter cups.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 12:32:28 am by grumpybunny »

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 04:03:49 pm »
My mothers Weimie ate anything and everything possible.  So the kitchen always had to have a babygate!!  I don't know how many loaves of bread that dog ate through out her life, but it was a few!!  I came home one day and the babygate was down, in front and in Shade's crate was a box of croutons, a cake mix, the icing for the cake, a loaf of bread, a box of mac-n-cheese, and some other stuff too. The uncanny thing about this dog, besides the fact that she NEVER got sick, was that she always opened the items like a person would!!  The boxes had the corners torn and then the top was just pulled back, even the icing (which was chocolate) she had gotten the top off and the foil cover she got one side and pulled it back! Moral of the story, you are not a bad mom, accidents happen with fur kids too!!  Oh, and this dog lived to the ripe old age of 15!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 02:45:58 pm »
Puhlease! Bear got a sugar pumpkin off my lovely autumn table-top display last year. Very stealth - didn't notice it was gone 'til I found the stem all chewed up on the floor. He pooped neon orange for two days.

You're a perfectly good mom - enoy the good story you now have to tell - made me laugh!  :D

Jacksmom - made me lol at work while the boss was walking by... baby oil???  ::) ;D
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:59:49 pm »
So I guess Bella is not the worst, but she ranks up there- This past week she stole the Mortons Salt and ate as much as she could before I could take it away from her- then she stole a whole box of the dry Lipton onion soup mix. And that was just this past week. Bella has a stomach of steel and will eat any food, even Maraschino cherries....

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 11:16:24 pm »
Awww poor Ranger and poor mom. Glad he is ok. I hope he is feeling much better by now.
Farley and Rosie follows a close second are horrible for eating things they should not. Farley has ate a whole box of Laura Secord Chocolates,Lexis stuffies,underwear,crowns(daughters dress up),barbies.little mermais doll the list goes on and on oh a whole jar of hubbys fav peanuts--lets just say that peanuts comeout lookin the same way they went in...ugh

The best one I can remember is my rotti Kate, ate something not so pleasant. I use to take her to work with me at our beach property. I noticed she would cry every time she went to sit down and was very uncomfortable. I saw half a seagull feather sticking out her butt---ugh---I had to "help: her out a little. She was still a puppy the poor lil thing...lol

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 11:28:10 pm »
Well, I guess I feel better knowing I am not alone...  The underwire bra story had me on the floor!