Author Topic: mobile, al / south mississippi bpo'ers! i need your help!  (Read 5264 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
mobile, al / south mississippi bpo'ers! i need your help!
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:33:29 am »
i'm going to be in pascagoula starting in november for about a month.  we're moving (again) to texas and instead of paying for a hotel we're going to stay with family while we talk to people, etc and at least get some places lined up to look at in tx. 

anywho, this is where i need your help.  i will need to board axle from approximately 3 weeks starting nov. 9th round about.  i was curious if any of you knew boarding places that were good with large / giant breeds and who will actually let him go potty every few hours as axle is very adamant about NOT going potty wherever he is, esp. if it's on concrete.  axle doesn't require exercise and it's best he doesn't get too much with his HD, but i would like a "family environment" in the kennel, where they are friendly to him.  AC would be nice, so an inside kennel is preferred.  anyways, i thought i'd ask and see if anyone in the area knows any great kennels.  i know everybody on here is like me, wanting the best for their dogs, so maybe someone has an experience they can share to help me out, who to talk to or who NOT to talk to.  most of the ones i talked to last time i needed him boarded refused us b/c of his size, saying they don't have exp. with giant breeds and their staff was scared to work with him  ???

thanks in advance :)
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: mobile, al / south mississippi bpo'ers! i need your help!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:51:47 pm »
thanks melissa!  maybe we could get together sometime!  we'll be staying close to the hwy 90 / industrial intersection on the east side of town.

i have contacted the vets, most do their own boarding but are very limited on big dog experience and even kennels, esp. indoor ones that are big enough for him.  most cater to small breeds and medium breeds.  i've talked to a few who didn't even have a kennel axle could fit in.  literally.  the few i have found have told me that they don't have staff that are comfortable working with him, and wouldn't even let me bring him in to meet them  :-\  one said he would board him (it's an in home boarding facility where he limits it to one or two dogs at a time), but he quickly changed his mind and called me back saying he wasn't comfortable.  i'm going to contact the vet we use (in escatapwa i know i spelled it wrong lmao), he's always been great with axle when we've used him in mississippi.  maybe he'll be able to help us out, he's such a great guy.  i've also contacted the akita rescue on the gulf coast and asked them for advice.  maybe they can refer me to someone, too.  some rescues use boarders long term until a foster home can be found, so that'd be great if they've used someone for that. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:53:42 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:49:37 pm »
There is a place in Daphne that a friend of mine used to board at all the time, before I started to keep her dog.  I believe it's called Waggy tails, but I'll email her to find out for sure.  My vet used to keep Navarre and all the staff LOVED him and he was a 130lb GSD!!  Does Axle get along with female dogs?  What about cats?
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 03:09:58 pm »
thanks!!  i'll look them up, too!  yes, axle *typically* gets along with any / everything, given it doesn't have a problem w/ him and he gets to meet them properly (but we all know that you can't say "always gets along with" because some animals just won't get along just like some people won't).  we've only had problems with the two GD's at petsmart that bull rushed him in the four years of his life, other than your typical spats between dogs.  he's a very laid back dog.  the only thing that irks him is new dogs that jump on him / get in his face or get in the way of his food bowl (he just started that in his older age, though he won't start a problem so long as they don't get within about a foot of his bowl).  once he gets around them, a few minutes though he's golden, even if they jump on him.  people can't do anything to make him trip out though.  he loves everyone, especially women or anyone who gives him a lot of attention.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)