Author Topic: just bragging about my Pyr  (Read 9610 times)

Offline rfmaniac

• Gnawer
  • 17 months old, and yes, very spoiled
    • View Profile
just bragging about my Pyr
« on: April 07, 2005, 06:48:57 am »
This is dutchess  ;), she is 18 months old now.  I got her when she was 6 weeks old.  My fiance and i spoil her rotten.  She snores as loud as we do and and walks very prissy.  I want to train her but i don't have the money for all these training tapes and books, nor do i have the patience. so i'm making very slow progress with simple commands. at one point we were curious as to what it takes to get into the dog show business?  any help will be greatly appreciateed   :)

Offline romanreign

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Roman Reign Working Dog
Re: just bragging about my Pyr
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 07:52:12 am »
If you want to show your dog, put away a small fortune.  Entry fees are in the neighborhood of $15-$20 per day.  That's not including gas, hotel, and meals.  I've known people who spend $800 per weekend win or lose trying to show a single dog.  Don't intend on having any free weekends.  

Since you have a white long haired breed, you'll spend at least $500 on grooming supplies, grooming table, hair dryer, and shears.  You'll have to spend a great deal of time grooming between shows as well to keep up the coat.  

If you're serious about getting into dog shows, have someone from your local kennel club or breed club evaluate your dog's conformation potential.  If you decide that you'd like to invest the time and money into dog shows, you must go to training.  On TV, showing dogs look so easy and straightforwar d.  However, the ones that do wind up on TV, have had hours and hours of training for them to accentuate their best features.  The people who handle those dogs have had years of experience and can show with style and finesse.  

I wouldn't call dog showing a business perse.  I doubt there's more than a handful of people who even recoup a portion of the money put into dog showing.  I look at it as a very expensive hobby.  

There's no need to buy tapes and books to learn how to train.  There are plenty of sources online.  Hope that helps.  

Jennie
Roman Reign, Work Hard, Play Happy, Eat Well

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: just bragging about my Pyr
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 01:27:37 pm »
Obidience training doesn't have to cost an arm & a leg...Samson has been through two puppy kindergartens. ..The 1st was basic commands & general socialization & was offered free at a local vets office...The 2nd was more in depth training & was only about $75 at our local Humane Society...Chec k with your local Humane Society if you have one & they should be able to point you in the right direction...Py rs are very intelligent & my Samson caught on right away!