Author Topic: Jessica and Oz in Australia  (Read 9381 times)

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Jessica and Oz in Australia
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:36:07 pm »
Hello again,

Jessica is my little problem today. I think she is upset because I have been spending more time with Oz than with her. I usually walk her with my husband and I walk them. Oz needed more exercise so a neighbor has helped me walk them in the morning while my husband is at work. Since Jessica is good on the lead and Oz isn't I have been walking him. On Wednesday and Thursday I worked for 4 hours each day. Wednesday went fine because Stephen was home with them but Thursday was another story.

Oz was great because he was in his crate and could not do any damage. Jessica who I have never had any problems with went crazy trying to get to Oz who was in the front bedroom. I had them in different rooms because if they are in the same room Oz will not settle down and rest in his crate. Jessica has always been free to go into any room but the den. In the hallway is an door with glass on top, Jessica ( trying to get to Oz) kept jumping on the door and did some damage on the door and the frame. She also jumped up and got Stephen's heavy wool work jacket and my summer straw hat and tore them both up. I have not worked since that day, but will be going back to work again on Monday. Should I let Jessica go into the bedroom with Oz?

I don't have another crate, and can't afford one right now. I have to order it from Sydney and it would be $270, they don't have exercise pens here or if they do they are not available in Ballarat. I don't want to leave her outside because it is school hoildays and I don't want a child to come into my yard and open the side gate and let her out.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 04:31:50 am by Greytmom »
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Jessica and Oz in Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 07:59:58 pm »
I think you should let them stay together since they get along. It might also prevent any further distructive behavior.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:02:06 pm »
 :) Jessica and Oz have been very good this week while I was at work. Oz is now telling me he doesn't like it because once I am home and take them for a walk he still comes inside to wee on the carpet. This from a puppy who has been house trained almost from day 1. It doesn't matter how many times he does it outside but the last 3 days he will do it at least once while I am at home, usually after a walk or being outside for an 30 minutes or so. Jessica on the other hand has been fine. I have let her have the run of the house and that seems to have made her happy while I am gone. Oz is happy because she is near him. Still work to be done but not bad for a puppy who is used to me being with him nearly 24/7 since we got him.

Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline GREYTLADY45

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 08:30:04 pm »
HI, I HAVE TWO GREYHOUNDS AND LIVE IN THE SUBURBS OF NY.  MY BROTHER IN LAW LIVED IN ADELAIDE FOR A YEAR AND LOVED IT.  ANYWAY, SOUNDS LIKE HE'S HAVING A BOUT OF SEPARATION ANXIETY.  IF YOU CAN'T SPEAK TO YOUR VET FOR SUGGESTIONS, MAYBE A SEARCH ON THE INTERNET WILL HELP WITH THINGS YOU CAN DO.  HE'S DEFINITELY URINATING IN THE HOUSE TO MAKE A POINT.  COULD YOUR RESCUE GROUP HELP WITH SUGGESTIONS?  I'VE NEVER HAD THE PROBLEM SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE SOLUTION WOULD BE.  I HOPE SOMETHING WORKS TO STOP THE PROBLEM.  LORRAINE

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 12:24:38 am »
 ;D First I have to say something about the pic. It does NOT look comfy lol..... but whatever floats your boat.

I am not sure I get it, does he only pee after you come home, or is he doing it even when you are gone. If he is doing a peepee when you are away too, and not only after you come home he may have some kind of bladder inf. that you may want to look into. If it is only after you come home, it is defenately as the previous poster said some kind of separation issue, but dont get too depressed, there are great help to get out there, I am sure your rescue can help and if not, there are so many groups online, maybe you should try and find a forum or group for people with rescued grey's. I am sure some of them have the same kind of problems as you do, after all they have lived a very different life and is a special breed. Good Luck and meanwhile buy paper towel in bulk lol....

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 04:26:05 am »
Hi Marit,

It is only when I am home that he is doing his little or now I should say big pee. He has stopped doing it on days when I am home all day but still will do it on days when I leave for a few hours. He will be getting desexed on the 9th so I will have the vet check and make sure he does not have a bladder infection. He is only 5 months old and hardly anyone in our rescue group have ever seen a greyhound puppy so they are of little help. I have been talking to race dog trainers about it but all of there dogs are outside dogs in kennels and what they suggest is not something I would do to a dog. Believe me I always have paper towels as well as regular towels at the ready.

Toni
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 04:40:19 am »
Hi Lorraine,

I have been told about the DAP adapter that is suppose to smell like there mother. I have not had much luck find them in the town I live in, at least not in any pet supply stores. I asked my vet about it and she is looking into it. I am hoping that might make a difference. Its funny we got the puppy to help with Jessica because she was so attached to me. I have a friend who helps me walk them during the day who wants to come over and watch them when I am at work. She does not understand that these dogs can get really out of hand easy. They just will not settle down when people are here so there is no way I could leave them with her. If they are home alone with Oz in his crate they will whine for a few minutes and bark for a short time but they do settle down and go to sleep. This would not happen if she is here. I don't think she would be able to handle them when they want to run the length of the house and the ruff play that they do. I think she would have a nervous breakdown. When they are wired up during the day they are really hard to handle. I say they but it really is Oz who starts it and gets Jessica worked up. There is a dog walking service here and I might investigate it and see if the man who does it can handle these dogs for a walk during the time I am gone. I still have to work that out. I am not comfortable giving my keys to a stranger.
I'll keep you informed with the progression.

Thanks again,
Toni
Toni

Greyhounds are great