Author Topic: Titan - English Mastiff  (Read 25306 times)

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Titan - English Mastiff
« on: October 14, 2007, 05:20:54 pm »
We are proud owners of a 4 month old English Mastiff named Titan.
Question: How much should he be eating? He eats 6 cups a day and I have a feeling that it is way to much. We feed him 3 times a day and he is on Holistic Blend...good food...his stool is normal having 3 poops a day...i am just not sure the qty; it seams like a lot of food for this little guy... and would like some guidence.
Also Water...we find when he DRINKS he drinks a lot...i mean a lot like cups at a time and then he has "not so good stool" I would like to monitor his water intake but have read lots of different places that they should always be alowed water...what to do ... what to do....
Thanks

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: Titan - English Mastiff
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 06:08:34 pm »
Congrats on your fine looking boy.  Most of your higher end food will call for 1/2 to 3/4 cups for every 10 pounds of body weight.  I have a 9.5 month male OEM that tips the scales @ 155 and he mows through 9.5 cups a day plus the occasional added treat (raw hamburger etc...) Mastiff puppies do inhale a lot of water, some of it will actaully end up in there mouth :-).  I have never seen a corelation between water intake and bad stoole but I am by no means a vet.  I have had Giant breed dogs for 21 years now and there is always something new to learn...  If you can keep feeding him 3X a day for another 1-2 month and then ween him to 2X a day you will be doing just fine.  Do not get too worked up over a day or two of bad output, but you should be concerned if it goes longer and there is no logical explantion (ate something he should not have etc..). Good common sense as well as a good vet make for a great combo.  Good luck and enjoy!
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:23:36 pm »
Thanks for the tips! I think we are over-protective parents!! We love our little guy so much and dont want him to not feel well :) AS for the soft stool....it only after he eats his dinner and has drank the mound of water so I am not sure. We did end up asking the vet and she said well it has to come out somewhere?!? Either through the urine or bowels one or the other so just watch and see what happends.
Did you crate train your guy or was it free range for him. We are using a crate and he loves it! We tell him its bed time and off he goes. It is also Aids BIG TIME with the potty training! But we dont leave any water in his cage..he does have a afternoon break...I am able to come with him for an hour each day and he has his lunch and we play and have a walk.
Thanks Again

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 07:49:41 pm »
I did a combo crate/free range.  At night he slept with me for the first 3 months.  Once he hit 5 month he was on the floor next to my bed in a bed of his own.  I had a good sized crate he would spend the day in when I was @ work.  Up until 6 months I had a relator friend coming over during the day to let him & the rest of my crew out and give Butler (OEM puppy) some lunch.  I also have a 6' X 10' run in the basement of my house that I put up and customized for him (insulated riser, bed, pictures of female mastiffs  :), radio, carpeting etc... that he spends his day in now.  I will not give him complete free range until 1.5 - 2 years.  I have had mastiffs eat lawn furniture, my Dane ate mini blinds etc... so I do not trust them completely until they have fully matured.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 08:49:47 pm »
That is so funny... we just purchased an english mastiff that is 4 months old also called titan!!! lol that is great!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 05:31:01 am »
I Agree...his cage is the perfect size for him...for now...but I can see very shorty we might have to come up with something a bit bigger. We have purchased the largest cage you can purchase...he is in it now...but he have a section blocked off...everytim e he grows it grows with him!
Thanks so much for taking the time to chat... you seem very up to date with all the informatin you are giving us...we greatly appreciate it! I am sure we will have more questions or thoughts and concerns in the NEAR future!! :)
Thanks again...and any quick tips or advice are always welcome!
Thanks again!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 05:33:18 am »
That is so funny... we just purchased an english mastiff that is 4 months old also called titan!!! lol that is great!
That is so awesome...well its a pleasure to meet you and Titan...have any picts of him yet!?! :)

lorim2

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 06:28:19 am »
Let me try this again...I am Lori, proud mom to Marley..our 2 yr old mastiff...He is the love of our life...Two things marley cant live without are his many huge water bowls around the house and his own personal fan!  Since day one, Marley drinks like a fish and leaves lots of water trails around the house...Cant tell you how many times I have slipped and almost fell..haha..bu t we just love him!  Your big boy is adorable!  Welcome to the site and cant wait to see more pics of Titan!!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 07:07:47 am »
Let me try this again...I am Lori, proud mom to Marley..our 2 yr old mastiff...He is the love of our life...Two things marley cant live without are his many huge water bowls around the house and his own personal fan!  Since day one, Marley drinks like a fish and leaves lots of water trails around the house...Cant tell you how many times I have slipped and almost fell..haha..bu t we just love him!  Your big boy is adorable!  Welcome to the site and cant wait to see more pics of Titan!!
Thank you! Everyone has been soooo helpfull! Did you crate train your Marley...did you put water in the crate? I feel like i might be depriving him of his water....but I dont want him to have accidents in his cage...I want his crate training experiance to be possitive. So we leave water out for him in the morning at lunch and then the rest of the night when we are home. Also how much did your guy eat when he was 4 months old? Titan is eating 6 cups a day!  And he mows it back...we are still wetting it down just so he doesnt get a belly ache. But when is a good time to start him on hard kibble?
Thanks in advance for the tips!

lorim2

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 02:38:14 pm »
Yes Marley is crate trained but I used a water bottle during the day attached to the side of the crate and at night I didnt use any...We only crated for awhile and now he has free roam...As far as food...he has always been on hard kibble..I am thinking he was doing between 6 and 8 cups a day...and we feed twice a day...so now hes still eating like 6 cups in the mornign and6 in the evening..and hes soooo spoiled he has to have his little treats in between!  ONe thing for sure...Marley was the hardest baby I have ever potty trained!  We had lake michigan in our living room several times!  You will do great with Titan..Hes already so loved that you cant go wrong!

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 02:58:16 pm »
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Titan is very cute! And yes they can be naughty my 2 year old english mastiff is at his terrible 2s nad he is lucky he is so cute thats what gets him by! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 05:23:06 pm »
Here is a growth chart for you to measure Titan up with to see how he compares.  This is in line (albeit a little bigger) with the other mastiffs I have had.  THis has been butlers growth since I got him.  He is big but by no means huge for his age.  His dad was 230 and his mom was 185.

17-Feb   20.2
2 Months   
24-Feb   22
3-Mar   24.6
10-Mar   31
17-Mar   34.5
3 Months   
24-Mar   39.5
31-Mar   45
7-Apr   51.5
14-Apr   55
21-Apr   59.5
4 Months   
28-Apr   62.5
6-May   65.6
21-May   72.5
5 Months   
28-May   76.7
19-Jun   92
6 Months   
24-Jun   96.5
28-Jun   98.5
3-Jul   106
14-Jul   106.5
7 Months   
26-Jul   116
5-Aug   119.6
12-Aug   122.2
8 Months   
24-Aug   130.6
9-Sep   133.3
9 Months   
24-Sep   142.2
14-Oct   155

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 05:22:53 am »
Here is a growth chart for you to measure Titan up with to see how he compares.  This is in line (albeit a little bigger) with the other mastiffs I have had.  THis has been butlers growth since I got him.  He is big but by no means huge for his age.  His dad was 230 and his mom was 185.

17-Feb   20.2
2 Months   
24-Feb   22
3-Mar   24.6
10-Mar   31
17-Mar   34.5
3 Months   
24-Mar   39.5
31-Mar   45
7-Apr   51.5
14-Apr   55
21-Apr   59.5
4 Months   
28-Apr   62.5
6-May   65.6
21-May   72.5
5 Months   
28-May   76.7
19-Jun   92
6 Months   
24-Jun   96.5
28-Jun   98.5
3-Jul   106
14-Jul   106.5
7 Months   
26-Jul   116
5-Aug   119.6
12-Aug   122.2
8 Months   
24-Aug   130.6
9-Sep   133.3
9 Months   
24-Sep   142.2
14-Oct   155

THANK YOU! This will help....good guide lines. Titan is 4 months and weighs in at 35lbs. I want him to grow as slow as possible with being a healthy weight. No ribs showing and he mows his food down so I am not afraid of him not growing. How much did you guy eat when he was 4 months old?
I think he doing ok but sometimes it feels like hes eaten to much. We crate him during the day...so when he get out its all about the food. We try to play with him ar take him for a short walk to burn of some energy but all he wast is his food! LOL :)
Thanks for all your help!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 05:34:05 am »
Yes Marley is crate trained but I used a water bottle during the day attached to the side of the crate and at night I didnt use any...We only crated for awhile and now he has free roam...As far as food...he has always been on hard kibble..I am thinking he was doing between 6 and 8 cups a day...and we feed twice a day...so now hes still eating like 6 cups in the mornign and6 in the evening..and hes soooo spoiled he has to have his little treats in between!  ONe thing for sure...Marley was the hardest baby I have ever potty trained!  We had lake michigan in our living room several times!  You will do great with Titan..Hes already so loved that you cant go wrong!
WOW that is a lot of food!! I knew they ate but my god that puts us Dutch peole to shame! LOL (I am Dutch and WE EAT A LOT)
Anyways so when Marley was 4 month he was going through 6 and 8 cups a day....ok now i dont feel bad. I was thinking maybe he was having a belly ache after all that food. We dont play with him after he eats; we want him to learn to relax for an hour and digest. But its very hard...he is in his crate for most of the day with a lunch break in between and he just wants to play and EAT! Its all about the food when he gets out of the crate. Its HARD!! I want to play with him but he wants to get the food over with and then play. But i am thinking this might be resulting in some loose stool about an hour after dinner. Its got a lot better...when he was only 1 month old he was having loose stool immediatly after dinner all other poops find durning the day. Maybe inbetween breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner he has time to relax in his crate?!? But about 1-2 hours after dinner he has a movement and its not as solid as i would like it to be...I know gross subject...but I could really use some guidence for those who have been through it before!
Thanks