Author Topic: hi folks  (Read 15682 times)

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
hi folks
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:27:47 pm »
hi everyone, i have 2 beautiful bloodhounds. lily, a 2 and a half year old red female, and a 4 month old black and tan little girl named piper. we live in new hampshire and i have read everything i can find on blood hounds. i came here hoping to share and recive advice. neither of my little girls are used for tracking or mantrailing. and i have never wanted to train them that way, i know that is it almost impossible to let a bloodhound just run around an unfenced in yard or walk off leash but this is what i am training piper to do. she is young enough to still want to follow me so i am using this to my advantage. has anyone else had any luck with this? the breeder i got piper from had her two out just wandering the yard. so i know it is possible.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: hi folks
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 08:40:23 pm »
Hi there and welcome! You've come to the right place, there are tons of members with different breeds and different levels of experience. I am sure your girls are just beautiful and can't wait to see some pics ~ we love pics around here.
Before we got our EM ~ Libby, we used to have a Redtick Coonhound, we had her since she was 3-4mos old and till the day she died she would run like the wind if given a chance. We took her to dogparks with a lunge line attached to her for chance she tried to 'take off' someone would be able to stop her, and we used tons of treats. She was allowed off line acouple times in the woods but I stressed the whole time, it was with great relief that 'she' decided to come back, her nose was always to the ground and it was fun to hear/watch her track a scent, then stand on her hind legs against a tree baying the whole time.
I know this really wasn't the advice you were looking for :) and I'm sure others will be on to offer some more tips ~ Kim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 10:11:14 pm »
Welcome to Big Paws!!
I have never owned a Bloodhound, but did own a Bluetick Coonhound for many years until he passed at age 16. I  never could trust him off leash in an unfenced area.
 Up until about the age of 5 even in a fenced area if his nose said it was time to go, and he could find a way under he was gone. He was the only dog of mine I ever used a electronic training collar on and that was after the 10th time of bringing him back from the very upset neighbors house. Not his fault they had a coon living in their garage, but none the less it was the collar or back to the pound. He didn't even care if I was standing by him trying to stop his forward motion under the fence, however the collar did teach him it was forbidden.
Good luck in their training. Since the breeder has trained hers that way maybe she can help guide you.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:17:08 pm by VdogLover »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:17:10 pm »
Hi & welcome!  I'm Marie and I don't have any bloodhound experience, but your girls sure are adorable.  We have a golden/lab mix and 1 and 3/4 Great Pyrenees (tee hee, our female is a mix) and we've had 2 Pyrs before that are waiting for us at the bridge, so I sympathize with the off leash thing.  Pyrs are also notorious for running whenever they have the chance.  If you want to train your little one, you may find it safest to do so on a lunge line like Kim did or something similar until you know for certain that she won't take off.  I'm glad that you found us.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:28:10 am »
Hi and welcome! I'm Jennifer, Mom to Bear and Nakita (both Saints), and Charlie, a very tolerant cat.

Your pups are beautiful. :)  We had a hound mix in my childhood home that stuck close to home, so that 'go' gene must have been lost in the mix. ;)  I think your breeder is a good place to start, and I'm sure folks here will have lots of good suggestions. 
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 06:41:16 am »
Hello and welcome.  I'm Misty and my pup's are listed in my signature.  The only experience I've had with a scent hound is with a beagle I once had.  As I never had experience with the breed and with a scent hound I didn't trust myself to ever let her off a leash.  You will receive a lot of great advice here and I'm sorry I can't be of much help with this particular subject.  I just wanted to introduce myself and welcome you and your girls to the board.  I've always loved blood hounds and I look forward to seeing more pictures and reading stories about your girls.  Again, welcome.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:15:32 am »
Hi there and welcome!  My name's Amy and my human and furry kids are listed in my signiture!  I'm kinda new here, too.  I'm sure you'll love this group as much as I do.  Everyone is so nice and helpful!

I never had a bloodhound, but I did own the sweetest male basset hound when I was a kid.  He would follow his nose everywhere!  He was wandering off constantly.  He never actually "ran" away, but walked off whenever he caught a scent.  And when he was on the trail, he refused to come when called.  So we really had to pay close attention to him when he was outside.

Now I have 2 great pyrs that I adopted in June, and they escaped once, before we put up our 6 foot front gate.  They RAN!  Thankfully the city dog catcher caught them before they got hurt, and within hours we were able to spring them from "jail" and bring them home safe and sound. 

Good luck with your girls.  I agree that a lunge line might help with them, since when the hounds are following a scent, they're usually not running at full speed.  Good luck!

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 08:28:50 pm »
does anyone know what a reasonable stud fee would be for a bloodhound?

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 08:32:26 pm »
In my breeds stud fees normally run about what a puppy from said produced litter would sell for. 

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 06:20:42 am »
Welcome to the board. You're girls are just beautiful. I'm Tina mom to Annie, Merri and Tripper. ANd 3 human kids. We need more pics though. Tons of them for that matter.

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 08:35:26 pm »
ok, so i was just looking into stud fees becuase eventually i want to breed my black and tan hound. and the only breeder i could find around me wanted 1100. that is more than waht i paid for both my dogs put together.

Offline Malishiku

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Airreyalis - Malinois & Shikoku
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 09:10:26 pm »
I have no personal experience with training hounds, but know of people who have. The best that I can do is give some training advice.

I'd start with some focus with her, since she is a pup. Have her sit in front of you and reward everytime she looks at you. Make a command for this, such as "Watch" or whatever other word you would like to use.

As for stud fees, yes the price of what you would pay for a single pup is the norm. I highly suggest that if you plan on breeding her in the future, to do some Tracking with her as well. Play lots of scent games that require her to use her nose. Not only is it GREAT for the breed, but it can be LOTS of FUN too! I play them with my Malinois. She has an amazing nose and we both enjoy these scenting games. She enjoys it a little too much though (it's a great quality!), I think she might be part Bloodhound -wink-, lol.

As for Obedience...AK C Rally would be a great start for any "on the field" work. Since you can do just about anything (except touch the dog) to motivate her. I've seen some Bloodhounds trial and complete the course with no problems and have earned their Rally titles. They aren't quick about it, but that's okay, take your time and have fun!

Also, expand your options and search out other Stud owners. You want the BEST dog that will compliment your female. Don't settle for anything less. If the Stud owner closest to you is a great dog, then kudos to you. You never know though, perhaps there is an Obedience dog out there that you can breed to. That's your goal, isn't it? To have a Bloodhound who can also do Obedience? Look for those traits.

Write out a list of the great qualities your female has and of other qualities you would like to see. Then find a Stud dog who, when combined with your female, can produce such possiblities in the next generation.

Welcome to forums and please enjoy your stay!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:25:41 pm by Silverstorm »
=(^ - ^)= / ) Corina A. Gonzalez
www.airreyalis .com
Belgian Malinois & Shikoku Ken

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 06:32:54 pm »
i do want to breed my pup, but i am not looking to breed her to make money, i don't want to sell the pups to make money, i just want to breed her because i want the pups for myself. kinda lame, i know.

Offline Malishiku

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Airreyalis - Malinois & Shikoku
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 08:07:45 pm »
i do want to breed my pup, but i am not looking to breed her to make money, i don't want to sell the pups to make money, i just want to breed her because i want the pups for myself. kinda lame, i know.

I'd say to do your homework of all that is involve before, during and after breeding. Which you should. It is understandble to keep one, maybe two pups from the litter...but all of them??? Having too many puppies at once is more then a handful. How will they all receive the proper attention and training that they will need?

You'd need to have homes waiting for them. And do follow-ups on the pups. You must be there for the pups and new owners throughout their entire lives. It is a responsiblity.

Why not talk it through with the breeder you got your puppy from? They/he/she should be there for you; to mentor you.

It sounds as if you should just get another puppy from this same breeder in the future. Perhaps a similar or repeat breeding. It'd actually be less costly and less work on your part (and possibly heartbreak - as Jacksmom as mentioned).

Think about it. You have plenty of time.
=(^ - ^)= / ) Corina A. Gonzalez
www.airreyalis .com
Belgian Malinois & Shikoku Ken

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 07:44:06 pm »
just wanted to let everyone know, that i have 2 new aditions to the animal family, one would be a springer spaniel named trigger, and the otehr would be a 15 year old appy/arab gelding by the naame of myca (like the silvery flakey rock stuff).