Author Topic: Rocco  (Read 4438 times)

bigdogs@5501

Rocco
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:14:50 am »
Friday nite on my way home I get a phone call from a neighbor wanting to know if one of my Pyrs were missing. Well the husband and son had been home all day and the girls are extremely crafty and will get out occasionally so I wasnt sure- but then the neighbor said no, this has been since Tuesday. OK folks if mine are out of my site for more than 30 minutes I am tearing up the town looking for them, I have a history of this, and have even crashed the Annual sports banquet at the high school one year when some kids stole Zoey, so no way is this one of mine. However the neighbor said that they really wanted me to go over to the other neighbor/friend because this little dog seemed sick.
I get over there and he is in the back play area (its the local daycare) he looks miserable and has the green gunk going on- I immediatly called the husband and told him to bring the medicine bag. I dosed him with clavamox and cephalexin and got him to eat a very small amount of food.
Neighbor who owns the day care said that they thought that he was dead a couple of times and once he was on the side of the street. I was afraid to take him home since I am not into making my crew sick. So it was agreed he could stay there.
I am up and over there are 6AM the next morning and wow you could tell he felt better- again, dosed him up and fed him. I did this several times on saturday. He had tags for the closest major city which is over 100 miles away- I finally get them on the phone and eventually hook up with is mom, who I actually know thru another time we were both doing a rescue on dogs. I had no idea she lives as close to me as she does. She had been so upset looking for him and someone in the community had told her that he had been killed by a car and that they took care of the remains. So this was a major roller coaster for her.
We get him home- she owns 40 acres and it is just heaven over there- Horses, goats, sheep, dogs, cats, ducks, geese and peacocks and cats that all live in harmony and are mostly all rescues.

Rocco was one of the sweetest babies I have ever met, he is a tiny Pyr, smaller than Tug but about a year older.

Unfortunately Monday nite I get a call from Roccos mom- he was on the floor screaming and couldnt walk- the emergency clinic was unable to diagnose what was wrong with him Monday nite but gave him pain medication and steroids.
We had him in Dr.Grays office on Tuesday morning and she is good, she figured out what was going on real quick- he had been shot by a shot gun and there is a buckshot near his spine and it is pressing on his spinal cord.

Again this is the most sweet wonderful little guy ever, I fell in love within the 24 hours that I met him, so at this point it is a wait and see because where the pellet is- it is going to be hard to surgically remove the pellet.

So guys keep your fingers crossed for little Rocco.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Rocco
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:11:41 am »
My fingers are definitely crossed. And I just have to say that you're such an inspiration -- the go-to gal, with meds, knowing exactly what to do. Very impressive! The animal world is very lucky to have you! Thanks for all that you do. :)
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:34:12 am »
Oh boy.  What an adventure that guy has been on.  You're an angel because if you think about the fact that if he had not received any sort of medical attention just who knows what condition he may be in?  I'm sending tons of get better vibes to him and my thoughts are with all of you pulling for him and especially him.  Get better Rocco.  You have plenty more adventures go on out on the property you live on.  Just next time you do make sure you leave a bread trail to remember how to get back home....  Feel better fast.  :-*
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 08:20:03 am »
Dang, Paige!

You rock!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:28:01 am »
Wow!!  Paige, you are the stuff!!  Rocco is back with his mom, no better place to be and that wouldn't have happened without you!  I hope the pellet shifts, or they are able to remove it.  Sending good thoughts.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 01:15:09 pm »
poor little rocco. i hope he is better real soon.
our thoughts are with him and his family
What a great person you are to go thru all that trouble for him. you truely are amazing
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

dohertyswissy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:23:24 pm »
Thoughts and prayers are with Rocco and his family.  What a roller coaster ride.

Major kudos to you Paige.  Awesome job!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 05:05:38 pm »
Update. Rocco decided that he just wasnt going to eat any more, we all now how Pyrs are when it comes to food. So his mom (who by the way is a vegetarian and cant stand to handle meat) has gone out and bought him a whole chicken and some chicken livers to boil and add to rice. It helped- he decided that the chicken was worth giving up the hunger strike, at least for the time being. He didnt eat a lot but he is on a couple of antibiotics. He is also on steroids which should have jump started the appetite so we will have to wait and see. He is a feisty little guy- he pulled himself to the front door and barked to go out- so that is a good thing- he is also trying to use the back legs a bit more.
I am thinking that we may have to look into one of those carts that they use on dogs with the paralysis in the back end- lets hope not- but we arent going to rule it out if it is necessary.
I am hoping to go over there tomorrow and give him a hug and a kiss-

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:22:22 am »
My thoughts are will that guy.  It sure sounds like he's got some fight left in him and how adorable would he be with a cart?  Though I too hope he never needs one but in the off chance he does then I sure hope he gets a very nice styling one...  If you do get a chance to see him then give him a big hug and tons of slobbery kisses from my crew..  Get better Rocco!!!   :-* :-* :-*
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:50:34 am »
awwwww! Tell his mama to keep boiling that chicken up! Poor baby!

Also, when Mabel was on her hunger strike, the only thing she'd eat is Merrick canned Wing-a-ling. It has whole chicken wings and she freaking LOOOOOOOOOOVED it!