Author Topic: My cute new rescue  (Read 8237 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
My cute new rescue
« on: July 25, 2005, 06:51:56 pm »
i am pretty new to Big Paws and thought i would start by introducing my puppy!!  His name is Shakespeare and he had a rough life till we got him.  He is happy now though!!!

We know him mommy was an Old Enlish mastiff, but only have guesses to what his papa was. I would love any guesses ya'll have.

we think he is around five months... but with a rescued puppy that is a little unclear.

he is only 40 lbs, but would have been much bigger if he hadn't had a horrible past filled with malnutrition, mange, a parasite, beign lost for 6 days recently, and being found with a broken leg.  i bet his older alpha dog sister is 55 lbs or more even after the malnutrition and mange.

his story is a very sad one, which you can read in his paw print if it is working.  if it isnt working let me know so i can post it hear for anyone that wants to read it. 

Here are some recent pictures

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: My cute new rescue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:02:11 pm »
What a sweetie pie! How llong does he have to be in the cast? Do they think he'll heal up ok?
He has a kinda shepherd-like face, dontcha think? Whatever breeds are in there, he is beautiful. I am a big fan of mixed breeds!
 :)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:03:26 pm »
Welcome to BPO. :)

Shakespear is very cute and I am sorry to hear that he had such a rough start. I am sure he is happy to have a nice new home with you!
RIP former BPO

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 07:09:12 pm »
he shoudl heel up just fine.  he is lucky he is still young with nice growing bones that heal fast.  he has been in it a week so far, and probably has another 3 left.  We are goign back in in a week to get it all checked up on, but most likely it will need another couple weeks. 

i see sheaperd too, and a lot of people see dane too.  one of his brothers looks very mastiff, the other looks very dane, and shakes here doesn't really look particularly either.....

That is the really fun thing about mixed breeds, they are all surprises as they grow up.  Who knows what he will end up looking like, or how big he will end up being.  All we know is that he is the sweetest couch potato ever, and that is good enough for me!

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 07:12:28 pm »
he gets along really well with the cast. My boyfriend has a cast on his left leg too, but he isnt lucky enough to have front legs like shakes, so he needs crutches.  shakes just sort of hops along sort of balances on the cast when he would usually put his weight on it.  the only thing he can't do is sit real well, but he seems content to lay down insead.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 07:21:11 pm »
What a cute boy. I see a lot of dane when I look at him.  Looks like his luck has changed now, he has a home where he is loved.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Luvmydanes

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:42:36 pm »
He is cute!!! I posted a picture of his new girlfriend. :)

Kandi

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 09:07:42 pm »
What a great name- Shakespear. He is a cutie for sure. Welcome and I can't wait to see him bouncing around when he is all healed up.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 09:51:36 am »
The ears really are the odd ball part of his look.  They are certainly hard to place with a breed.  I am pretty sure his papa was large/giant breed mutt.

He is a lucky puppy to have such a cute girlfriend though!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 09:56:48 am »
He looks awful content there with that bone in his mouth.  :)  What a great puppy!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 10:02:38 am »
It's hard to say in his top pic his face looks shepard and in the bottom one he looks very much dane! My guess would be a dane mix
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 10:31:38 am »
Boy, I don't know what he could be with that one blue leg!!

Just kidding. Dane was the first thing I thought when I saw him, too, but that could just be the mastiff coming throught he mix as well.

Who cares, really? He's a doll!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 07:46:10 pm »
the funniest part of it all is that my boyfriend also has a cast on his left leg due to recent surgery, so the lounge around all day in their matching casts!!!  tom wishes he had front legs like shakes so he didnt need crutches.

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 09:33:43 pm »
bad news.....
shakespeare's recovery has taken a very unfortunate turn.  He somehow got a very fast moving skin infection on his paw that was in the cast.  he is now in the hospital and will be needing lots of care.  he will lose at least one toe and some of the big pad too.  The infection also spread to his leg, but they are hopefull that it will heal and they won't need to amputate his leg. 

your good thoughts, prayers, meditations etcetera are much appreciated, and i will keep you up to date on the situation!

nickerbokker

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 10:05:39 pm »
oh my goodness!  you alll will be in MY thoughts until i hear we are in the clear!  poor little baby!  the vets, some mommy loving, and some junk food will heal puppy up to good as new! 

get strong, stay strong, and keep us posted!