Author Topic: Puppy shedding, itching, dandruff  (Read 2283 times)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Puppy shedding, itching, dandruff
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:45:00 am »
This may be really standard shedding behavior, but Sammy seems to be really itchy this past week. He's scratching a bit, and also biting regularly at his back and rear, which I haven't seen him do before. He's just starting to shed for the first time (he's about 14 weeks old) and I've been brushing him every day and getting a lot of fur out of him. He also seems to have some dandruff around his neck and back. I'm a little concerned about the itching and dandruff- could this be allergies? We've recently changed his food to get him on a lower-protein food than he was on previously, but there aren't a lot of food options available where I live.

He was due for flea treatment a couple days ago, which doesn't seem to have made a difference in the itching, and I notice no bites. Any thoughts on if this is just regular shedding stuff, or perhaps something else? I don't want him to give himself hot spots...

Thanks!

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy shedding, itching, dandruff
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:17:50 am »
Hi Sadie.  I'm Misty and I'm sorry to hear your pup is itchy.  I personally think this could actually be a number of things.  Allergies included.  Our vet has suggested we give our dogs Benadryl if we believe they are having an over histamine problem and that seems to work very well.  Also, I would consider the possibility of him blowing out his summer coat and getting ready for the winter.  Gracie had an issue where she had a lot of dandruff and appeared to be very itchy.  We talked to the vet about that and due to the weather change at the time he thought maybe that was the problem.  There was also a bit more ear wax than usual and her eye's also had more discharge that usual.  He gave her meds for the eye's to prevent infection and we made up a home remedy ear cleaning solution to help clear out some of the over produced ear wax.  In addition to that we bathed her with a mild oatmeal puppy shampoo for sensitive skin (BPO recommended) and she stopped with all of the itching..  Perhaps he is adjusting to the food or reacting to it. If he's bitting his feet that would be more of an indicator of food allergies but again, I'm not expert so keep researching and talk to your vet.  I think it could be one of or a number of things.  But my advise to you is to keep a close eye on him.  If he begins to scratch and creates a hot spot then I would take him in to the vet.  One more thing.  If he has not had his flea treatment perhaps that could be the problem.  We live in TX and the fleas this year are out of control.  It's very important that we make sure they get the treatments regularly otherwise they will totally take over.  The pups itch like crazy when that happens.  I hope you get to the bottom of this and it all subsides quickly.  I apologize too that this wasn't very much help but I'm sure you will have a lot more advice on what to watch or look for with your guy.  He is very cute but the way.  I hope to see many more pictures of that guy.  Good luck to you both.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.