Author Topic: amputation in Rhodesian ridgebacks  (Read 2976 times)

Offline E.Walker

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
amputation in Rhodesian ridgebacks
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:43:40 am »
Can anyone help me? My RR has just reputured his hind cruciate ligament. This wouldn't be such a big problem, except we live in Sierra Leone and the veterinary care is very limited (almost nil). If we are unable to find a vet able to perform an appropriate repair, we may need to consider amputation. Does anyone have any experience of RR that have had amputations of a hind leg. How do they cope? What is their quality of life like?

I realise that this is a very drastic option and we would only do so if we had no other choice. Any comments gratefully recieved.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: amputation in Rhodesian ridgebacks
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:25:22 am »
i don't know about letting it go without repair, but i do know that 99.9% of dogs do GREAT on 3 legs.  most, it never phases their quality of life. some are even better off, if the leg is causing a considerable amount of pain and there is no other option.  try contacting any local rescues and ask them what vet they use, they may have a recommendation that you wouldn't  have found out about otherwise.  best of luck with your pupper, here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: amputation in Rhodesian ridgebacks
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 10:47:04 am »
There are many variables to these injuries.  Conservative management may be an option???  There is information on the internet regarding this approach and canine rehabilitation .  Do you know any people physical therapists who may be able to help?  Did your dog have an xray for the diagnosis?  How is your doing doing now???