Author Topic: What is on my dog's fur?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
What is on my dog's fur?
« on: July 25, 2005, 08:03:44 pm »
Yesterday after I was petting Zoey's back for awhile(more than a few minutes) I looked at my hand and it was a different color. There was a very thin film of greyish-white on my hand that rubbed off easily. When I rubbed her back for awhile today it was there again.

What could it be? She hasn't been rolling around in the dirt and I know that our wood floors are clean so she couldn't have gotten anything from them either. I started giving her an omega-3 suppliment called sea pet a few weeks ago - could it be that she has too much oil because of that (it doesn't really feel oily though). Her skin is nice and clear and a  so I don't think it is dandruff.

Anyone ever experienced something like this? It is so wierd.
RIP former BPO

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: What is on my dog's fur?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 08:17:25 pm »
I have never had that reaction on a coat myself, but a couple of years ago, one of my friends who has a GS had something similar, and she too had started with the omega 3 just a month or so before. It didnt feel greasy, she said and the coat didnt look greasy, but it was like as she put it "a protective layer" coming off the coat when she rubbed it. She even took the dog to the vet. but all they could find out was that nothing was at all abnormal with the dog, so draw the conclusion that it was the omega doing its thing.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 08:27:57 pm »
I'm curious, how are you liking the omega 3? Have you seen a dif in her coat? I want to put Jack on fish oils but can only find liquid capsules. I'm pretty sure he'll not like the taste and spit them out.

I can't decide if I see a difference in her coat, but that is mostly because she had a really nice coat to begin with. Her fur is shiny and ridiculously soft and gets complements from everyone she meets. I had originally decided to  put her on the supplement because she had some dandruff on her tail, and that hasn't improved much but the rest of her fur is seriously the best fur I have ever seen (and I'm not just saying that because I'm biased). As far as feeding it to her, that has gone really well. The sea pet is a liquid in a bottle, and every meal I add a tiny bit of it on top of her kibble. Actually, she won't even eat until I add the oil and her joint suppliment. The other day I went downstairs after Dan had fed her  and she was standing at her full bowl just looking at it and walked over to greet me instead of eating. I was pleasantly suprised that she was more excited about me than the food, until I noticed it completely dry (he forgot the supplements). As soon as I added them, she was all about her breakfast - she was only greeting me to remind me something was missing!
RIP former BPO

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 08:30:10 pm »
hehe isnt that when you feel sooooo loved lol......

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 08:31:47 pm »
I have never had that reaction on a coat myself, but a couple of years ago, one of my friends who has a GS had something similar, and she too had started with the omega 3 just a month or so before. It didnt feel greasy, she said and the coat didnt look greasy, but it was like as she put it "a protective layer" coming off the coat when she rubbed it. She even took the dog to the vet. but all they could find out was that nothing was at all abnormal with the dog, so draw the conclusion that it was the omega doing its thing.

I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one this happened to! That sounds exactly like what is happening with zoey. I had thought it was some sort of protective film from the omega but I sorta thought I was crazy too. Glad to know I'm not.
RIP former BPO