Author Topic: Best gate for Big Dogs??  (Read 8305 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Best gate for Big Dogs??
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:19:55 am »
I probably should have put this in the Gear Forum, but wanted to get as many replies as possible...

For several years, we have had a baby gate on the landing of our stairs to keep the dogs on the first floor...the gate is hardware-mounted into the wall rather than pressure-mounted, but is lightweight wood.  It worked fine until Bodhi got big, lol....but he has now broken one of the wooden slats and is capable of twisting the frame to get around it!

We looked at sturdier baby gates at Walmart....but the hardware mounting is just not strong enough to hold Bodhi.  What kind of gate do you use to contain your Big Paw??  We definitely want something hardware-mounted into a stud that swings open in both directions.  I've looked at several....but think the best way to choose is to get recommendation s from other BP owners!  Thanks!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best gate for Big Dogs??
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 11:28:25 am »
hahaha I will be of NO help cause miss Libby is afraid of those tiny wire fences to go around your garden(she likes to drink out of the fish ponds but leaves nasty slingers) we put up the tiny fence and NOTHING ~ But she's a big chicken  ::)

In the house we use a baby gate(plastic) does Bodhi push through it or jump at it? I think the Toys'R'Us here has some that look like you are in jail with metal bars or glass, maybe raise it up alittle(but not high enough that he will go under...

Sorry I'm sure there will be others that can help out more than me ~ good luck
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:17:19 pm »
It kind of a crap shoot.  My Dane ate every gate that was ever in place to keep her coralled in her youth.  These days in her advanced age it is not an issue.  My Mastiff is much like Libby and even though he is a brute respects gates and fences.  In the midwest there is a line of store call Fleet Farm, I am sure there have counterparts over the country.  They sell gear for everthing imaginable and have gates that are designed to hold large animals in.  One other option is to do the half door. If the area you are gating has an interior door cut it in half and cap the top with a nice shelf.  I did this at my last house and it looked nice.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:19:02 pm »
One other option is to do the half door. If the area you are gating has an interior door cut it in half and cap the top with a nice shelf.

Oh I forgot all about that as a kid my Uncle bred Saints and they did that as well... for the dogs and kids ;)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 03:31:12 pm »
You could just build one.I looked at all kinds of gates for the boys and decided homemade was the way too go.I used 2x6 untreated pine and big ole mounting hardware.I personally like them better then the store bought ones.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:56:36 pm »
I wish I could recommend something but I have a similar issue.  Maia is scared of all gates but Rocco will just jump over or knock down anything (if he feels like it).
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 05:24:08 am »
Our big gates came from Drs. Foster and Smith, online.  They are metal, 40 inches tall, and have a tiny gate at the bottom for smaller pets. 

The mounting hardware is a flimsy plastic cap, so hubby attached the gate to the wall with plumbing strap.  If you get two and mount the bottom one right-side-up and the other upside down, you can cover almost the whole doorway.

The only problems we had with it were that Zita liked to chew on the bars and once got her lower jaw caught between two bars.  I had to grab her head and turn it to get her loose.  She didn't try that again.  The other problem is that there is a gap between the gate part and the frame large enough for Sparky Chihuahua to fit through.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua