Author Topic: PTSD afraid of cars and other dogs  (Read 1986 times)

Offline gardner

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
PTSD afraid of cars and other dogs
« on: October 27, 2007, 08:54:25 pm »
gardner is getting over the biting and the toy has stopped the barking.  have not needed the squirt bottle. 
so over the weekend he has decided he is afraid of cars.  happened when it was raining.  he was rescued after being hit by at least 2 cars.  he cowers and wants to be anywhere else.  even if i console him prior to the car coming he still freaks out.  this is new behavior after 2 weeks, but it has not rained and the noise might have touched him off.

also he will not have anything to do with other dogs.  he is around 6 months old and was rescued one month ago.  he will not go near or have anything to do with any dog no matter how big small, old, of laid back.  tried over the weekend he started to get calmed down after 1.5 hours but still would not get near an old hound with no interest in him.  is it possible he was being trained to fight?

i tried to send pics but the files are too big.  i will try to work something out.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: PTSD afraid of cars and other dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 11:28:36 pm »
Sounds like Julie's given you some great advice and she works with dogs so she has lots of experience.  I just wanted to say "welcome", too.  I'm sorry that Gardner has had such a tough start in life, but with time, love and training I'm sure that you can sort it all out.  You may want to consult a trainer or behaviorist in your area to see if by observing him they have more tips for you as well.  How badly was he injured (poor guy!) and how long has he been with you?  I can't wait to see his pics.  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline gardner

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: PTSD afraid of cars and other dogs
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:40:03 am »
we have had him about 2 weeks.  we was in rehab/recovery for almost 3.  gardners front leg was broken in 3 places and he has a pin through his humerus and his scapula may have been broken as well.  he is just beginning to put some pressure on it when he walks.  we got him in the water this weekend.  no more than a foot deep because he is wary of water.  but he got in to get a stick and started getting used to in but would not put his face in.  it is salt water too.  i do not want to drink it either.  thanks for the help, we will try it.