Author Topic: Mabel...is gone  (Read 25992 times)

Nicole

Mabel...is gone
« on: October 28, 2007, 08:47:12 am »
She left us tonight...arou nd 8pm
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 06:35:12 pm by Nicole »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Mabel
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:00:45 am »
Poor Mabel and you  :'( :'( :'(
Hopefully it is like Julie said just a little down period due to medications. I hope she will gets better and bring more happiness into your life  :-*

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 09:12:55 am »
I completely agree with Juli.  I hope that sweet girl feels better fast.  Tons of hugs your way and lots of good healthy vibes sent Mable's way.  You guys are in my thoughts.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 09:57:22 am »
Awwww, thanks guys.

I hope that she starts feeling better too. I keep thinking that she's just having ups and downs. I know there's so much going on her in little body.

I guess I'm just afraid that I won't know when she's had enough. Everyone says, "You just know!" but I'm afraid that I won't and that I'm keeping her alive for us and not her. I don't want to put her through anything more than what she can handle...AAAAA AAAAGH!

I just hope she starts eating soon. Her shoulder blades are all sticky-outy and her skin is like, hanging on her. :(

dohertyswissy

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 12:29:18 pm »
Awww Cole!  Hang in there.  You are doing the best you can for your baby.  I'm sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 12:34:49 pm »
Thanks, Heather. :(

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16:21 pm »
I'm also sending lots of good thoughts & prayers that Mabel's feeling better soon.  Two quick thoughts though in the meantime:
1. I also didn't know if I'd know when it was time, but somehow I did.  It was one of the hardest, most heartbreaking decisions that I've ever had to make, but I did know that it was the right thing for her.  :'(
2. On a happier note, while Halley was ill and sometimes had no appetite, I would make up little "vienna sausage" shaped bits of her dog food and just pop them down her throat.  It's much easier than it sounds if Mabel is as sweet and laid back as it sounds from here.  It was very gentle and Halley didn't seem to mind at all.  Plus I'd pet and snuggle her while I did it, so that helped, too.   ;)  I fed her this way 2 or 3x a day when she wasn't eating. We used a canned dog food that was ground up pretty smooth, but fairly dry, so that it wasn't too mushy and it worked really well.  I was surprised by how much she'd perk up after I fed her, it seems like their blood sugar must drop pretty fast when they're hungry, but they feel too bad to eat, so the problem just snowballs.  If you'd like more info, feel free to PM me.  I should mention that though it was my idea to try this, it was vet approved.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 01:43:49 pm »
Hmmm...that's a really good point. I need to get her to eat! It will make her feel better. I know it will. Thanks for reminding me that her blood sugar is dropping and that is making the whole thing snowball.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 01:47:12 pm »
I know that its hard Cole, but she will tell you when she is ready.  I agree it that a lot of her being down could be due to not eating.  Have you tried meat baby food or tuna?  They're pretty bland, but can usually get cats to come around when they are being finicky, so that is saying something for them!  Wishing you the best with Mabel, I understand how difficult it must be right now.  :(  *hugs*
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 01:53:28 pm »
I know that its hard Cole, but she will tell you when she is ready.  I agree it that a lot of her being down could be due to not eating.  Have you tried meat baby food or tuna?  They're pretty bland, but can usually get cats to come around when they are being finicky, so that is saying something for them!  Wishing you the best with Mabel, I understand how difficult it must be right now.  :(  *hugs*

Yeah, we've tried tuna, salmon, canned food, etc. She was doing really well with the Merrick Wing-a-Ling. When she finished the case of that, I bought Wysong Chicken Au Jus for variety, and she's just not into it. :( So, maybe I should just go get a case of the Wing-a-Ling and see if she will eat it.

The meat baby food is a good idea. I'll try that tonight.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 01:58:29 pm »
Hmmm...that's a really good point. I need to get her to eat! It will make her feel better. I know it will. Thanks for reminding me that her blood sugar is dropping and that is making the whole thing snowball.

You're very welcome.  :)  I hope that you find something that works for her.  Moni's right, baby food meat often works, but if she won't take anything voluntarily (like Halley was sometimes and I had tried everything on the market and cooked up everything that we could think of), then the Vienna sausage technique worked for us, too.  I bet that she'll feel at least a bit better once she eats.  Please keep us posted, I'll be thinking of you both.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 02:30:13 pm »
I'm so sorry she's not feeling well.  I think the baby food idea is awesome!  Hopefully after her last treatment her bod will start to even back out.  I hope things get better for you all.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 04:07:32 pm »
Oh Nicole, I'm so sorry that Mabel isn't feeling well.  Big hugs to both you and her.  I'm sending tons of getting better vibes your way.  Maybe try some chicken gizzards and hearts.  I know that they will be a little rich on her belly but they might entice her to eat something.  My mom would boil them for a pekingnese we had and she loved them plus you have the juice to put on something else like kibble or to mix with baby food. 

I just want you to know that you are not alone in feeling like you won't know when it's time.  I felt the exact same way and then one day I just knew.  Mabel will tell you whether it's a look, a sigh, the way she holds her body, or whether you don't see the spark in her eye anymore.  You will know and you will do exactly what you are doing now for her, helping her and loving her like she should have always been taken care of.  You are both in my thoughts and again big hugs to you both. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 05:06:37 pm »
Oh Nicole - I am so sorry to hear Mabel isn't feeling well. Sending you and your lady  lots of hugs and healing vibes!

Nicole

Re: Mabel...is gone
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 06:35:47 pm »
Mabel left us tonight...arou nd 8pm...