Author Topic: peeing question  (Read 5003 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
peeing question
« on: October 28, 2007, 07:35:39 pm »
Ok, so this is going to be a weird question...but I have to ask, so, my question is how often do your Pyrs go potty? I only have my 40 lb Tipper to compare to and he both drinks and pees A LOT. He instantly goes potty when we go outside any time. Jenny, on the other hand, never seems to go potty. Ok, that's not totally true, she goes potty several times if we go on a woods walk or a walk around the neighborhood, but in terms of going out in the yard, not much. Take yesterday for example, she peed on our woods walk and then didn't for the rest of the day/night. Today, I swear she has not gone pee yet!!!! I have checked my house thoroughly for pee and can find none. I am thinking that it would be hard to miss a 98 lb dog pee puddle! She doesn't seem ill and is drinking. I just gave her a bone to chew and she usually drinks afterwards and then I'm going to try and take her out again...
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: peeing question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 08:14:54 pm »
So I just took her out in the yard (again!) and she still wouldn't pee, but then I walked her across the street and she peed at the neighbor's mailbox right away. Do you think she doesn't want to pee on her turf or something like that?  ???
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 08:54:02 pm »
Boy, I don't know but I suppose that it could be a turf thing.   :-\   You're right, it's not at all hard to find a pee puddle made by a 98# dog.  LOL  ;D :o  I'd probably just make sure that I took her out to a favorite place (like the mailbox) a few times a day and in between gave her time in the backyard also until this sorts out.  One thing though is that my Pyrs have always been big, big drinkers so if you aren't really certain that she's drinking enough, you could mix a little chicken broth into her water to be sure she gets enough.  Or one of our favorite "remedies" here if our dogs are either not eating or drinking enough is to mix their kibble with the canned food/water gravy that I mentioned the other day but then add in another cup or so of water to give them plenty of food & liquid both at the same time.  Our kids call it "slump".   :P  It's not pretty, but our dogs love it.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 09:27:30 pm »
My male pyrs pee about 4 times a day, or every 6 hours.  They go out at 6am, noon, 6pm and 11pm.  If we take 'em out more often, they just horse around.  I think sometimes females "hold it" longer than the males, but once a day does seem a little odd.  Maybe she just needs to find a favorite spot in your yard?  Since she likes to pee in the woods, could you bring back some twigs and leaves and place them in the area you want her to use?  Just an idea.  Good luck! ;D

Offline shepyr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:05:50 am »
Hi,  I have the opposite problem with Liesl.  She drinks lots and lots and pees lots and lots!!!  She still is only 5mnths old, but we can be outside every half hour for a few hours, then at least every 2hrs.  She does go all night in her crate with no problems and isn't even in a hurry in th AM to go out.  I did have her urine checked and she's fine.
Our last akita/huskey cross wouldn't go out if it was raining!!!  He sometimes wouldn't pee or poo for over 24hrs!!! He died of cancer at 14yrs.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 06:22:54 am »
Well, this morning she went out and peed right away with no problem! I guess I will have to keep watching and see if I can make sense of her pee routine.

Also, I can't remember how I taught my other dog the "go potty" command?? Can someone refresh my memory about how I would go about training Jenny to know that command? Thanks!
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 06:25:39 am »
Well, this morning she went out and peed right away with no problem! I guess I will have to keep watching and see if I can make sense of her pee routine.

Also, I can't remember how I taught my other dog the "go potty" command?? Can someone refresh my memory about how I would go about training Jenny to know that command? Thanks!
Every time she pees give her a cue...whatever word you would be using. As soon as she done give her a treat. Soon enough she will pee just to get a treat  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:51:46 am »
Jack is notorious for holding it.  He'll go to the door when he has to go #2 but never when he has to pee.  Sometimes he'll refuse to go in our yard when we take him out and I'll have to walk him to the empty lot next to us and then he goes right away.  He does the same thing with pooping sometimes.  We always try to get him to go before we start our walk but sometimes we spend 10 minutes walking around our yard and he won't go. Then we get 2 houses down and he goes in the neighbors yard - it's VERY frustrating sometimes!!! :-\  You can set your watch by our Swissy's bathroom schedule and I've NEVER had to pick up after her on a walk - she'll hold it until we get home.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 11:44:37 am »
Zeus  holds his in  he's  terrible  for it if it  is  cold,  raining  snowing anything I  seriously have to do outside  stand there till he  goes to the washroom..  I hope you can  figure out  her  pee problem
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 08:10:06 pm »
Jack is notorious for holding it.  He'll go to the door when he has to go #2 but never when he has to pee.  Sometimes he'll refuse to go in our yard when we take him out and I'll have to walk him to the empty lot next to us and then he goes right away.  He does the same thing with pooping sometimes.  We always try to get him to go before we start our walk but sometimes we spend 10 minutes walking around our yard and he won't go. Then we get 2 houses down and he goes in the neighbors yard - it's VERY frustrating sometimes!!! :-\  You can set your watch by our Swissy's bathroom schedule and I've NEVER had to pick up after her on a walk - she'll hold it until we get home.

Yes! Apparantly Jenny much prefers the neighbors' yard to pee in. She likes their mailbox and their pile of leaves near the street.  ::)
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 04:37:04 am »
When we first got Wally, our 80 pound Italian Mastiff, for the first week she would only go out once a day.  After about 12 weeks she was going twice a day.  Now she goes three or four times a day.   At first we were calling it Lake Wally.

Zita is learning a different command for peeing and pooping.  The peeing command is Tinkles and the poop command is Shipoopie.  She gets a verbal reward for those because sometimes ya just don't want to get that close. Sparky Chihuahua gets a toy tossed near him when he does it correctly.

To encourage the dogs to drink, especially new dogs that arrive in our desert summer, a few drops of almost anything from the condiment shelf into the water seems to work for us.  Zita likes BBQ sauce in her water.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua