Author Topic: What do you do about Newfie Neck (wet!!)???  (Read 6540 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
What do you do about Newfie Neck (wet!!)???
« on: October 30, 2007, 07:27:44 am »
I swear, I can't believe Bodhi has not grown fungus under his chin and down his neck.  It is wet almost contstantly, between drooling and drinking!  He is the messiest drinker....he loves to stick his nose down in the water and blow bubbles.....th en carries a couple pints of it in his jowls out to the living room where he shakes his head and sprays it everywhere! LOL!  Either that, or he puts his big head on your lap and soaks your pantleg.  Every time my husband sees him coming with water dripping off his mouth he says, "Oh Sh!t....", hahaha!! 

Do you do anything about wet Newfie Neck?  Bodhi gets matted if I don't keep him brushed...whic h is a pain because he just tries to eat the brush, lol.  I guess I should just follow him around with a drool towel....
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do about Newfie Neck (wet!!)???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:46:33 am »
Naja is not a huge drooler, but if we go somewhere that I know is going to have lots of yummy smells, or water that she can drink freely I'll put a bandana on her.  It's kinda like a baby bib, if I notice drool, I'll wipe it up before it makes a mess hopefully.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:26:09 pm »
Hi,

Discount club (BJ,s) buy a bundle of dish towels ten for $10.00. I have 3 or 4 bundles, 10 towels around the house 1 for any guest who comes in and one bundle in reserve for when the other 20 go in the wash!!

Works prety well and there is always one handy for when Winslow get a drink and heads for a lap.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 02:27:48 pm »
There is nothing that will solve a soaking wet pantleg or a drenched Newf neck than drool towels. Bibs might work in preventing what I call the 'waterfall' effect on your Newf's neck, but it won't solve the dripping on the floor/carpet/tile/pantleg. So we have a drool towel literally in EVERY room. And make sure you don't just pat gently. You have to basically cup their whole snout to make sure you've gotten the jowl reserves.
Rosie - Newfoundland

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 05:22:44 am »
I've moved Winston's water bowls outside or into the laundry room.  Winston eats his meals and drinks his water in the laundry room.  His water bowl goes inside a big tupperware bin, so that when he drinks, and it goes flying out the side, the bin contains the water.  The floor is lined with bathmats that I can easily wash.  I close the door when he's eating/drinking to contain the mess to that one area-- as well as to let his mouth dry off a bit! 

This doesn't solve the drooling problem...but it's helped with wet pantleg/drool slinger issues!

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 06:06:29 am »
That's a really good idea!!!  I'm going to do that too.  How does everyone feel about waters.  I have a big one for my dog and cats.  I'm envisioning my newf digging in it and having a grand old time sloshing the water around.  Should I loose the waterer before I get a Newf?

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 07:36:25 am »
Move to the desert.  The humidity here is often single-digit. :)

Has anyone considered using thinning scissors on the wet area? 

We got lucky with Cody's drool--it only happens if he has been barking for more than a few minutes or if it is more than 84 degrees.  He doesn't have much to bark at and he lives in a room kept in the low 70s most of the year.  Bummer, he'd look so cute in a bib.  I could embroider his name on it!

The mess by his water dish is because he tips it over to lay in the water.  Somewhere I have a puppy picture of him asleep in a water puddle and one paw still in the empty dish.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 02:37:08 pm »
Oh we've had this problem on a daily basis!  one suggestion i have is a bib, even though as said before it doesn't really help a whole lot for the drooling on you and your furniture! fubmle shakes, and it's been known to land 15 feet away. Drool has just become a part of our liveS!   lol! 
Stacy and i bought some towels, then used cute fabric to decorate the sides and made our own bib. he doesn't really wear it anymore because it's just too hard to keep clean.  i think there are a couple of sites that have some great newfie bibs on them!  maybe a holiday present for your baby?
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!