Author Topic: My boxers first heat question  (Read 6816 times)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: My boxers first heat question
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 11:09:18 am »
Hi, Lisa.

When I am expecting a girl to come in, when I let her out in the morning, I wipe with a white tissue.

If you do that daily, you will get her on the first day.

As far as books, there are some really good ones, and some great websites too.

I LOVE this website, you will spend days going through all this info. :D

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/Breeding.htm

The MUST HAVE book is Canine Reproduction, A Breeder's Guide by Phillis Holst.

2 other very good ones are "Successful Dog Breeding" by Wilcox and Walcowicz, and my longtime favorite, "The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog" by Ann Serranne. Don't let that title put you off, it has one of the best sections of puppy rearing, whelping, etc of all of the books.

If I were you, I would be looking at whelping box designs NOW. Get some ideas together, and get a good one built in plenty of time. Larger breeds like Rotties etc can crush puppies if the box is not made properly. A proper box also gives the mom a place to get away from the pups if she wishes, and later a separate potty area for the babies when they start getting around at about 3 weeks.

I'm attaching a couple of photos of mine that my BF made for me. It's made of that white malamine material that lots of cabinets are made of. Altho it's quite heavy, and BIG,  it is wonderful, and I love it.

Another important thing for you to have is a good mentor who is experienced with whelping. They don't necessarily have to be nearby, but having some support there with you in the box the first time will give you a lot more confidence in the future.

How you handle baby puppies in the first 3 weeks, and esp the FIRST week, will have a lot to do with how many puppies survive.

If you have any specific questions about whelping, puppy raising, etc, I will be happy to try to answer them.

:D

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 01:12:25 pm »
I like the whelping box.  My vet has said that she will be happy to say with me during the birth of the puppies.  I will check out the web sites.  I hope to be able to go and check out a dog show this weekend. I have my eye on one to enter in September.  Thanks for the offer to answer questions I am sure I will have tons as I read up on everything.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 01:24:36 pm »
Our Setter was spayed at a year because we had every intention of hunting and breeding her, but I got a job where I had to be away alot and Matt just couldn't deal with it.  I know that the females differ mess wise but Araby was DISGUSTING, the house smelled rank, it was horrible.  Behavior wise, well the word "Bitch" came from somewhere and I'm thinking it was a girl in heat.  She was miserable, and honestly I don't see why someone would want an intact dog if they weren't going to breed them.

The whole dogs gaining weight thing after being altered is, in my opinion, an excuse made by people who don't want to alter their dogs.  I'm not saying that's what you're doing, it's just what I've experienced personally.  Araby is just as active, trim, psycho and spazzy as she was before she was spayed.

I'm not telling you what to do, just trying to give my insight on the whole subject.  In my opinion, I think it'd be better for both your dogs to be fixed.

Ang 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 02:34:46 pm »
You can see from the photos the PVC rails to keep the bitch from crushing a puppy against the wall, and the smaller front part where she can get away from the puppies.

There are slide in panels, each of them 8 inches, so the exit to the smaller area can be nothing, or 8, 16, or 24 inches.

Once the puppies are walking around well, I take the dividers out, and keep the front half of the box down. They puppies use the front half as a potty area, and the bitch can still jump in and out.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 02:40:32 pm »
I have saved the photos of the box, so I can put it on the hubby's to do list. I am not going to get any work done today, I am reading the site you posted.  There is so much to learn.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 03:01:06 pm »
Lisa, I can have my BF draw him some basic plans if I need to.

Just let me know.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 10:09:44 pm »
Red..... I actually saved a pic of the puppy box too, I have not had puppies in a few years, well not since I moved to the US actually, but we are planning on breeding our bullmastiff. I did like the whelping boxes I had in Sweden, but this one has the front you can fold down and I totally like that. Thanks for the idea  :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog