Author Topic: Garbage  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Garbage
« on: November 01, 2007, 07:51:37 am »
Ok so now my little man has decided he likes to go through the garbage and jump up onto the kitchen counter and steal things. This may sound stupid but i don't know what to do about it. How do I get him to stop this behavour? I don't have anywhere that is out of the way to put the garbage can. Is there a trick or something I can do? Help!!! He's making me crazy!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:17:40 am »
The only thing that helped us from stopping Lily to develop this bad habit is to hide EVERYTHING for a couple of months and give her buch of chews so keep her busy.
Don't you hate? They come up with new ideas all the time  ::)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:29:04 am »
Stella, I love the idea of the wooden clothes hamper.  I may have to steal the idea if I find one I like. 

Mine are kenneled when I leave the house so that they aren't tempted and left in the bedroom.  But, I used the leave it command and set them up when they were puppies.  Still working on this one with Razor but then he is working on basic puppy manners also.  Now I can say "Get out of the trash" as they start to nose it and they will leave it alone.  Even if there is some great goody in it that they just absolutely have to have. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 08:32:46 am »
Thanks for the ideas. He does this when I'm home. He too is in a crate when I'm not home. He will leave it when told but if I go downstairs to so laundry or up to the washroom well that's when he gets into trouble. I think I'll try and find a hamper and put the garbage can in it. Thanks again.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 08:52:20 am »
I'm still trying to figure out how to keep Harley out of the garbage and the fridge. We've even baby proofed the fridge and she broke the clip. She opens cupboards and everything! I feel your pain. The quick fix we have now is we put her steel crate (which she doesn't use because she knows how to get out of it) in front of the fridge, our eliptical beside that and Tim's mountain bike in front of both. That has managed to work for now LOL

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 07:26:51 pm »
We use metal trash cans and bungee cord the lids on.  This works for dog food containers also.

Our Vizsla, Sweet Georgia Brown, figured out how to open the fridge so hubby put a padlock on it.  Then I figured out how to change the combination to save "my" ice cream.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua