Author Topic: Re-curring ear infections  (Read 4714 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re-curring ear infections
« on: November 01, 2007, 02:00:03 pm »
I need your knowledge, experience, and or whatever you can provide BPO!! 

Teddy has had 4 ear infections in the last 1.5 yrs.

Last one was about 3 weeks ago and the vet was pretty aggressive about the meds she gave him (still weaning off sterroids right now) so we really thought we weould kick it this time.  No go.  He's back to shaking his head again and REALLY lovin' his ear rubs = infection.

Anyone have any experience with re-curring ear infections?  Did you ever get rid of it?  What worked?

Help BPO!!  My big baby feels ickky all the time and I don't like it one bit!!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Re-curring ear infections
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:29:34 pm »
We use a herbal ear cleaner with tea tree oil in it everytime I think/ smell Harley is getting an infection I use it and it goes away.
What kind of meds did they give you? Pill form or ear drop form? Although I suspect it is differnt depending on what type of infection he is getting, fungal/bacterial.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:31:06 pm »
Have they done a swab and looked to see if it is yeast, bacteria, or a virus?  My Stella got treated for weeks like she had yeast, but it was bacterial the whole time.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 02:42:35 pm »
sometimes ear infections are related to allergies.  does teddy get them at certain seasons/times throughout the year??  Fumble usually had them in the spring or fall.  and he does a mix between a skin infection or ear infection.  we alternate between the two.  justkeep an eye on it,and try to clean them out when you can.  Put some wash in, squish, then let them shake out what they can.  you can take a cotton ball and try to get out the excess on the outer ear.  but that's all you can really do. 
i'm interested in the tea tree oil though??  I want to try that!
good luck1
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 09:00:49 am »
Poor Teddy!  Ugh - you're preaching to the choir, here.  Bear had constant ear infections for about two years. His ears would get red and stinky, he'd shake constantly, chew on his feet, and - a real clue-in - Nakita would try to clean them out for him.  ::)  His infections always included lots of yeast AND bacteria.  He was miserable.

After changing vets (many thanks to Winslow's dad!), he got a new  ear drop (Optic, I think - I'll check), and a series of steroids.  He's been infection-free for over a year! 

I wipe out their ears often, and do a really good clean on Bear about once a month -- his ears are so big inside I can really get a finger down there to rub it out.  He loves it!  ;D  Also - my guys get a couple tablespoons of organic yogurt with their kibble about three times/week.  It's supposed to help with yeast production (?) -- and they love it.

I hope you get some relief for Teddy. :(  And I'll repost the med names when I get home.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 09:07:07 am by jennifer »
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 09:17:18 am »
My sister-in-law's dane had recurring ear infections and was constantly at the vet for drops/antibiotics.  She switched to a wheat free food (Eagle Pack Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed) and started using the following two products and the dog has not had a single ear infection since. 

http://firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php/All_Supplements-Pet_Supplements-EarsSkinCoat/pid-16?gid=7

http://www.nzymes.com/product-granules.htm

Foods with grains in them increase yeast production in your dogs body which can cause major problems in dogs with recurring ear infections, so I think switching to the Eagle Pack Holistic or something else like Innova Evo or California Natural that is grain free would be an important first step in prevention of future infections.

Good luck!
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 10:35:15 am »
I have no idea if this is ok or not, so I would ask your vet but I know someone that uses like womens yeast infection cream on her dogs ears cause she has chronic ear infections and supposedly it's worked wonders. I just raise my eye brows hehe  :D ???

Our vet recommended that for our cat, Keo, when he was having some really frequent ear yeast infections.  He said as long as it ONLY contained miconazole, we were fine. 

Did you find it worked better then the stuff the vet gives you?
Breeze has a yeast infection and is on day 8 of treatment (one day past what the bottle says to do...my vet does her own thing) and honestly it is still there. If I had followed the bottle it would be back full force in a week. I can't help but wonder if there isn't something better out there.