Author Topic: couch potatoes  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
couch potatoes
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:44:47 am »
I was just wondering if everyone else let's their big paws on the furniture.  I'm thinking about this because it's 5 a.m. here and I just walked into the living room and Zeus and Apollo are stretched out on both of my sofas.  They're looking at me like "What?  You weren't using them!"  LOL ;D  They look so comfy... I never have the heart to make them get down!  I just hope their big ol' toenails don't go through the leather.  Hubby would not be happy!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: couch potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:45:30 am »
Awwww! hehehe. You have such beautiful big paws! I wouldn't be able to say NO either. hahaha

I'll admit, I let Miles get up on the couch. He pretty much owns the futon, and if we have company over, and they're taking up too much of the couch, he'll just decide to get in their lap! hahaha. It's OK now since he's only 50 something pounds but I dont know how they'll feel when he's full grown. haha Needless to say, we're still working on our manners!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 05:51:53 am »
It's hard to keep them off here, too!  ;D

I have had others say to me that it is confusing and not good to let dogs on the furniture in terms of pack status, but neither of my dogs are particularly status-seeking, so it doesn't seem to cause us any problems.

If others have more dominant dogs, do you allow your paws on the furniture or your bed? Just wondering!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:26:59 am »
I kept an old leather chair for Emmitt in the Den and he has a loveseat in our bedroom and he won't hardly share at all.  Every once in awhile Copper (the old cocker) will claim them if she's not feeling well.  All of them get on the bed if we're not home but they're not necessarily allowed up there. (laug'n)  Sadie (so far) doesn't try to get on the furniture.
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:46 am »
Haha.  Those are all great pics!

Strangely enough Naja doesn't like going on the couch, I think she prefers the cool hardwood floors.  She does however love to sleep with me on my bed, she's only allowed to do that though when I know that there won't be and "accidents" while I sleep.  She is after all still a puppy, just a really big puppy!  lol  ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:24:57 am »
Mine are dominant dogs and they are allowed on the furniture.  I can't really say no since I let the cats on the furniture too.  Of course, this is also the reason that I shop in second hand stores for furniture too.  They also sleep in the bed with me.  If they get snotty I just make them move.  I'm with Tina on this one, when they go deal with horrible coworkers and bring home a paycheck to help pay the mortgage then they can have some say on stuff like this. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 07:53:29 am »
Our dogs are not only allowed on the furniture...th ey think they own it!  God Forbid they should lay on the floor like - *gasp* - dogs! LOL!  My husband always has to chase a dog out of his La-Z-Boy to be able to sit in it.  Every evening at our house you can find Zildjian and Dolly curled up together on one end of the couch...me on the other end....and Bodhi in the middle stretched on top of all of us.  He is so heavy he puts my legs to sleep and usually drools a big puddle on my lap....but I love it! 

We got smart several years ago and got distressed leather furniture in a dingy brown color.  It's okay looking...not the furniture I dreamed of....but with 6 dogs you must be practical!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 08:36:01 am »
OMG! The photos are great!  Isn't it funny how the big paws take up about 90% of the couch and the humans are all squished to the edges? ;D  Too funny! 

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 09:57:43 am »
Our guys come up when invited, unless we're not home. Then, apparently, they own everything.  I've never actually caught them in the act, but when the sofa cushions are all askew and falling off the sofa, ya gotta wonder.  ::)

Nakita plays a little with dominance around the sofa, and we check it right away.  Especially with the cat.  She hates when he's cuddling with me and she's not.  It's a very fine line of tolerance at my house.  :-\

Oh - and my furniture is wrecked. We have a big cover from LLBean, but then we have to take it off for people to sit there and remember to put it back on... it's just a pain.

And here's a pic of my girl, gazing longingly over the sofa arm at me (the blue is the cover), sitting on the chair beside her.  :)
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 12:11:41 pm »
We got Rosie when she was already 3 years old. She must have been trained not to lay on furniture since we've never even see her try. She's quite content on the floor.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 06:38:05 am »
Nope, no couch potatoes in here...only one big BED potato!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 06:58:52 am »
Sierra is not asllowed on the furniture.  We got a brand new couch and love seat only a few months before we got her.  I've never sen her attempt to get on the couches, but I guess all bets are off when we're not home because my stepson came home and found her snoozing on the couch one day.  And she knows the bedrooms are off limits.  She knows she's allowed two paws over the threshold and that's it.  But the licked clean, slime covered, upside down cat food dish makes it pretty clear she does what she wants when we're not watching.  LOL!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 08:49:33 am »
Harley will get on the couch if no one is home - or if is just he and I but he won't come up if hubby or the kids are home.  As far as the bed, he isn't allowed upstairs (meanie husband) so he seems content to sleep on the couch.

I tried covering the couch with a sheet but it was a losing battle.

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 09:07:38 am »
Ours aren't allowed on the furniture or in the bed and I've never actually seen them try to get on either, however they do have a "loophole" where they'll actually "sit" on the furniture.  By that I mean their butt is on the edge of the couch but all 4 feet are on the floor.  Our Swissy especially does this a lot and it cracks us up.  Jack only does it occasionally.  He much prefers the hardwood floors to lay on.  He doesn't even like his own soft dog beds so why would he like our comfy couch?!?!?
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 11:34:08 am »
Zeus isn't  allowed on the  furniture  either  lol  though they are such  stinkers.. Zeus will come in though and  try sitting on in  with just his  butt  or  try to  sit on are knee.. He is usually  just  happy  if he  can  lay on are feet

~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti