Author Topic: Calling all newfie owners!  (Read 9397 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all newfie owners!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 06:11:36 pm »
the whole situation really seems a little sketchy to me.  i think that moose, no doubt about it is a beautiful dog, however i question the breeder. my breeders were so careful about who they gave their dogs to.  i had to meet with them almost 4 times... and then they decided who got which puppy. they chose based off of initial personalities of the puppy to the owners...i think we got fumble cause he seemed like he was going to be trouble! ;)  I agree with you that if it's meant to be then moose will be there after the holidays. i do have to say kudos to you for being so responsible on this decision that you know what's best for your pet family,  and that brining a new member in and then leaving them alone isn't a great decision.  it could be done, but your home and sitter may not be there at the end of the day...

My theory in all of life... everything happens for a reason!  i know this is true, especially when it comes to dogs because of fumble.  we went to see his litter when they were 4/5 weeks old.  i had wanted a newf for at least 5 years prior to getting him.  i had his name picked and everything (Ridgerun's Fumble Recovery for a Touchdown).  when we went to see them, we knew we didn't have a choice.  but when we walked in there was this tubby little orange boy puppy.  as soon as we walked in, he stood up, and then whoop fell right over.. not trip or anything, just straight fell on his side... and we both said hey that's a fumbler right there... and we didn't think anything of it after that.  we had a great time with all the little babies, plus there was another couple smitten with orange puppy.  i just knew i wanted a boy... then 2 weeks later we got a picture of our puppy and it was orange puppy... so EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASon... if moose is meant to be a part of your family that it will just happen!  Keep your head up you made the best decision for you and moose!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 07:31:30 pm »
Hi guys,
   Gee you all really made me feel better.  I too believe that things happen for a reason.  As for BPO enabling me... I'm counting on it!!!  The sheer amount of information that I have gotten talking to everyone has been a blessing.  I'm a teacher but I work for a pet food company at Petsmart on the weekends.  I can't tell you how many people have come in the store with a new puppy in their arms not knowing what they need. It's ridiculous.  I will not be that way.  Thanks for the encouragement.
Jennifer

p.s. Erin, that was the most adorable story.  Maybe one day I'll have my own "Fumble" story.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 04:05:58 am »
p.s. Erin, that was the most adorable story.  Maybe one day I'll have my own "Fumble" story.

oh i think you will... everyone has their own story! hehe!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 12:37:22 pm »
It sounds like you'll be a great future-Newf mom. Dog adoptions are done so willy nilly nowadays, with a lot of families giving up on their adopted dog after realizing it wasn't a fit. It's great that you did your research beforehand. I hate to see a Newf (or any big paw) being given up just because 'it got too big, drooled too much, shed too much, or just a plain inconvenience'.

When the time and place is just right, it'll fall into place naturally. We got Rosie at 3 years old. Her family at the time was giving her up because of her chronic UTIs, and just happened to live in our Texas neighborhood. We found this out through her breeder in South Carolina, who we met once before to meet some of her Newfs. We couldn't take Rosie at the time since we lived in an apartment, but we were crazy enough to volunteer to drive Rosie from TX to SC (it was the breeder's policy that all Newfs have to be returned to her if the family cannot keep it anymore and cannot be placed by the family themselves). We figured it would give us some 'borrowed time' with a Newf during the drive and really see if it was the right breed for us. Well, what can we say? We fell in love with Rosie. The breeder could instantly tell that we bonded, as Rosie was following me around everywhere, keeping me in sight at all times. We wanted to take her back with us to TX after that weekend. But after a few months of prepping (and after buying a house) and she still had not been placed into a new home, we got a call from the breeder saying she was driving to TX to place another one of her dogs and asking us if we wanted her to take Rosie too to place with us. And so it's been over a year since we've had Rosie and now we could never imagine our home without her.

We hope your Newf story ends happily in the future too.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 12:55:54 pm »
things happen for a reason. Always. Just my last story - i do a bit fostering for my local shelter, only pups before accination, so they can stay here safely before vaccination is done and they are safe.
I'm looking for rough coat saint male pup, from reputable beeder, for confirmation and all that stuff... I was waiting for one planned litter, and yesterday i got info that it didn't take so no puppies... I would cry my heart out if not Grace.
it was 10 days ago when shelter called and asked me for help - one saint 2 hour drive away from me needed to get out ASAP. Can I go and take him, like a volunteer transport. Sure, I adore saints. We went there and get the pup. For 80 bucks, that the owner charged. OK, great, not a big deal. She was so abused that my heart just sank and I was not able to give her stright to the shelter - I decided to keep her for a while, to get her back on legs (shelter is a rural one with 2 employees only, they would not be able to feed her 8 X day and things like that). She is not the saint I want, she is complete BYB production, she has destroyed character and it will be very long way if ever to get her back where noble saint must be, BUT! She is here, complete foster failure already, and she has stolen not only my heart, DH is comletely in love with her, my dogs accepted her without a bark, and my mum who is very clearly minded lady yesterday told me that she is very happy to hear my decission that she is a keeper... It was not planned, it was not wanted, but it just happened! So now we are 4 BP family!
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 02:51:22 pm »
things happen for a reason. Always....

my decission that she is a keeper... It was not planned, it was not wanted, but it just happened! So now we are 4 BP family!

YAY, YAY, YAYYYYYYYYYYYY YYY!!!!  I am so happy to read this AnnaCrew.  After seeing that adorable pic of Grace with your husband, I had the strongest feeling that she'd found a forever home with your family, and that it had been planned that way by Someone.  My eyes got all misty when I read your news.  I am sorry about the puppy, but I know that is how it is supposed to be sometimes.  Here's how *I* found that out:

A few months after we lost Halley to cancer, I was still in tears whenever I thought about her, but we really wanted a new sister for Daisy and another furry person to love, so I contacted Cara's breeder to see if they had any litters planned.  We were excited to hear that they were planning a breeding in a couple months, so we waited.  When 2 breedings didn't "take" over the next few months (2 different females, of course  ;)), I started to wonder if this was what we were "supposed" to be doing.  Then I went to a dog show and finally got to meet in person the lady with Pyr Rescue that had been so kind and supportive while Halley was ill.  We decided to adopt a dog from rescue when the right one came along, and also to buy a puppy from Cara's breeder when a breeding "took".  Meanwhile I saw a Pyr boy on Petfinders in a kill shelter and called about him.  They said he'd been adopted, but kept my ph#.  They called me a week later and said that an elderly couple needed to rehome a young female Pyr, was I interested?  Meanwhile, the couple found a home for her, so I gave them my ph# and asked them to call me if she didn't work out in the new home (something didn't sound right to me).  A week later, we were on our way to Pyr Rescue to meet a male Pyr that had come from that same kill shelter that I had called a couple of weeks back, when the elderly couple called me on my cell and asked if I could come get Cassie, b/c the other home hadn't worked out.  So we ended up with Sammy (who had come from that kill shelter) and Cassie (who was referred to us by the same kill shelter's staff) all within 1 month.  I just *know* that it was meant to be, this small shelter is 5 hours from us and not somewhere that I'd have ever thought that we'd find 2 pyrs in a year, much less 1 month. Now, I'm having health problems that until they are controlled would make it hard to have a new puppy in the family that needed training, etc. so I can see that again Someone had a plan here.  Cassie, Sammy (and of course my sweet Daisy) are the pyrfect fit for us.   ;D

BTW PyrParent, the rescue that had Sammy held him for us for almost a month while we added some new fencing and got Cassie (then Daisy) through a bout of kennel cough.  They didn't charge anything additional for his boarding (though we did donate some $ as thanks) and they were very nice about it.  I think that his adoption fee was something like $150 or $200 and that included neutering, antibiotics, and some extensive blood work to be certain that he was otherwise healthy except that his previous home had tried to starve him to death.   :(  So between this breeder's adoption fee and their fees for boarding, I can see your concern.  Who knows though, maybe they will rethink they're position.  In any case, I think that it's wonderful that you are giving this so much thought and I just *know* that when it's right that you will be able to tell.   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 09:19:02 am »
AnaCrew, you made me cry!  What a great story.  You obviously look at animals with your heart instead of your eyes, too! 

Three of our current dogs came to us in very similar ways.  They were just supposed to bunk with us until we found them new homes...but here they are, years later.  There are times when Ribbit is on my lap or Stubby is lounging on the couch and they raise their big brown eyes to mine and they look so incredibly GRATEFUL. Grateful for a soft place to sleep, for food in their bellies, for a family to love.  No one will ever convince me that they are not saying "Thank You, Mommy".....

Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 06:25:33 pm »
What a great story!!!!  That just inspired me.  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 06:32:18 pm »
Well I called today to check on Moose.  (I couldn't help myself.  Also... I feel like I've got to keep myself fresh in their minds.)  The breeder said that she hadn't even gotten around to doing anything about Moose.  I have a feeling that the big guy will be there after December.  Like everyone here has said... if it's meant to be it will be.