Author Topic: The newest addition to the family  (Read 2202 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
The newest addition to the family
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:34:02 pm »
Meet Francis.  So named b/c I have no idea if it is a boy or girl and Francis can go both ways.......... lol.  ;)

I had not planned on getting this guy until closer to Christmas.  But we had to remove him from the floor at work b/c we needed the cage due to a new shipment arriving.  So he was moved to the back rooms, where I knew he would go downhill fast.  He was already sick, but there was no way to keep the humidity up in the cages in back.

So I decided to get him early, take him to my vet, who specializes in exotics, treat him and see how he does.

The diagnosis was not a good one  :( .  This is one sick little fella.  Doc took one look at him and said, "yeaaahh, he doesn't look so good".........lol.  He has a bacterial infection (can't remember the specific name, starts w/ an "a") causing respiratory distress.  He is also covered in ulcers and apparently has coccidia (which is probably what caused the bacterial infection in the first place, from drinking water he pooped in before it could be cleaned).  So to treat the bacterial infection I have to give him injections into his neck every 72 hrs for 9 treatments.  Then he will go back for a recheck and we'll see about treating the other stuff.  :-\

He is a chinese water dragon.  They look kinda like mini iguanas.  Males get around 36" and females 24", although the record I think was 40" (and was a female!)  Right now he is a bit spoiled and only eating waxworms, but at least he is eating........ .and it's so cute, he'll now take them from my fingers.  I'm trying to wean him back to eating crickets again.

Here's some pix of the guy.  Sorry, I got a bit carried away (and these aren't all of them.......... lol)  ;D

full length pic.  The tail is about 2/3 of the body length.

Keiko says hello to the new family member

She wasn't too impressed..... ...lol.  Shortly afterwards, he tried to run over her nose.

Francis' new digs.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: The newest addition to the family
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:40:55 am »
Help, I'm LMAO at that pic of Keiko looking at Francis out of the corner of her eye.  That's just way too funny!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  Congrats on your new addition and I think that Keiko is really wonderful for being so patient & gentle.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:32:37 am »
So cute! Good luck to Francis on his/her recovery!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 06:57:18 am »
How cool!!  His/her new digs look cool, I'm sure he/she will always have fresh water now!!  Good luck, and here's to a speedy recovery. 

Keiko, you did so well!!!  I hope you got a real treat after you contained yourself!! :D
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:01:11 am »
He looks perky in the pics - particularly alert when next to Keiko.  :D  I appreciate your taking care of Francis. Looks like he'll be a fun addition.
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:02:57 am »
Wow, I'm so impressed that Keiko was so calm near the little guy!! Hopefully he recovers quickly and enjoys his new digs.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 02:30:49 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Keiko is great with anything inside the house, even my rats, which are a favorite thing to hunt in the barn.  When we had a mouse problem in Ca, I stupidly thought she would help out a bit b/c she loves to hunt.  Well the darn things were taking kibble right out of her bowl and stockpiling it behind some boxes and she didn't bat an eye!  :P

Apparently if it's in the house she thinks/knows it's off limits.  However, if she were to find something like Francis outside, he would be eaten in about 2 seconds.  :D