Author Topic: Nervous Handler problem!! help  (Read 7279 times)

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Nervous Handler problem!! help
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:23:06 am »
OK! so here is my problem.....ME ...not my newf! I am trying to get a rally title (one leg already)...but I seemed to have "checked out". I am so nervous before I go in with him! He knows what he is doing, but I know that he senses how nervous I am and just starts to shut down. I tried the mint thing etc...NOTHING is helping. I am NQ'ing because I keep screwing up...also, no matter how hard i try, I can't get him to be attentive...we do all kinds of attention training home and at class! I even give him tons of treats before we go in. the minute he has no food...good bye! Any help from people would be awesome! thanks!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Nervous Handler problem!! help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:30:55 am »
Have you tried rescue remedy?

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:37:12 am »
I never heard of it! What is it and where do I find it?

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:42:12 am »
http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm

I use the liquid kind in the bottle and it can be used sfor dogs also.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 11:42:59 am by VdogLover »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:54:15 am »
Are you sure that he is senses your nurves and doesn't do well or he is not ready to work without food yet?

We do a lots of training. We didn't qualify a couple of times. I am pretty much at the nervous break down every time I go in the ring and my dog DOES sense it and doesn't want a treat at all! If your dog takes treats from you before going in the ring then he is fine and he just needs to work away from treats. Sorry, I can't give you any advice about the nerves situation...my palms swetting 2-3 months before every trial and when I am there I am loosing my mind....but it is fun after all!

I would recommend to go to the trials and see other handlers and their dogs, especially novice ones. It will make you laugh...dogs take off to hump judges, poop in the ring, refuse to move, trying to destroy fencing, LOL! 

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 02:37:02 pm »
How about a treat for you if you do well?  Perhaps a day at your favorite place when you get whatever it is you are trying for? 

I don't show dogs so am clueless on the process.  Zita would be the one sniffing the Judge person to see if they had treats.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 03:52:27 pm »
Showing in conformation and in obedience is totally different if you do both. 
I was really nervous for both in the beginning. After Lily embarrassed me in Rally quite a few time I have no worries while going in the conformation ring now.   
Mary W. Crane

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 04:17:34 pm »
I was really nervous for both in the beginning. After Lily embarrassed me in Rally quite a few time I have no worries while going in the conformation ring now.   
I am the opposite, I get far more nervous in the conformation ring. I think its because in the obedience ring I have a good insight of what my dog will do, however in the breed ring no one can predict the judge.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 04:36:08 pm »
I am the opposite, I get far more nervous in the conformation ring. I think its because in the obedience ring I have a good insight of what my dog will do, however in the breed ring no one can predict the judge.
So why would you worry at all? It's not what you do, it's what the judge deside  ;)
Mary W. Crane

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 09:46:40 pm »
I can't tell from what you said,,but it sounds to me like your nerves are the problem...

The last time I had nerves was testing with Delta for Magic to be a TD...since then we tested for TDI and now we are in TDInc..

Practice out in public with your dog,  just try to remember your fur kids thinks you are great no matter what anyone else thinks and in truth that is all you should be thinking about.

I think if you can relax..he will do just great..They do read us.and follow our lead and if he is picking up from you anxious worry nerves he will misunderstand what it is you want from him..and try to fix the problem which is not his role in all of this..you are the leader...and he wants to follow you...

Most of all have fun..no one is perfect..and if it's not fun you shouldn't be doing it in the 1st place...no matter what the prizes are..they are just the bonuses of having a great day with your dog...

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 07:28:42 am »
So why would you worry at all? It's not what you do, it's what the judge deside  ;)

Exactly something one can not train for or control:)
To the original poster....I have found the more I do something the less stressed I feel. Do you have any Rally fun matches offered by you?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 07:31:49 am »
I have obedience trials in December and I WILL take plenty of Valerian  ;D
Mary W. Crane

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 08:01:30 am »
thank you everyone for your help! what I am understanding is that I need to self medicate and CALM DOWN!! hahaha...kiddi ng....I will be trying everything! I have fun every week at training and at rally show and go's...it is when I get into the real situation! I wasn't nearly nervous when we went into the water test!!!! It is these ring judging situations.... again, thank you everyone...kee p the advice coming, i need all the help i can get!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 10:43:49 am »
Just don't take too much Valerian, you'll pass out LOL It knocks me out if I take more than 2. Kinda like benadryl zzzzzzz lights out :)

I will say it makes you nice and calm feeling like ahh nothing's wrong in the world :) What's stress? :) (and it's all natural - smells like crap, but it works great)
I think I will start taking it just to practice and see how much is right for me, LOL!
Mary W. Crane