Author Topic: LOOKING FOR A DANE/MASTIFF TO ADOPT.  (Read 6210 times)

Offline antyb

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
LOOKING FOR A DANE/MASTIFF TO ADOPT.
« on: July 26, 2005, 06:16:00 pm »

I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DANE/MASTIFF.  HER NAME IS GATSBY AND SHE IS 9 YEARS OLD.  SHE IS GETTING A LITTLE FEEBLE AND I WOULD LOVE TO GET A YOUNG DANE/MASTIFF THAT SHE COULD TEACH.  SHE IS ONE OF THE SMARTEST, MOST SENSITIVE ANIMALS I HAVE EVER HAD.
ANY IDEAS?????

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR A DANE/MASTIFF TO ADOPT.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 07:05:34 pm »
i just adopted a mastiff/dane/other stuff that we found by looking on www.petfinder. org

i live in southern california and there are a couple great resources for down here....

worth looking at is riverside county's www.gentlegian tsrescue.com which recuire many things of adoptive parents, one of which is a trip to their home out in riverside.

and south western US's http://www.danerescue.org/ is a hub for several dane rescue organizations.

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 07:33:12 pm »
wow i had no idea.... thanks for the update

Offline KBMastiffs

• Gnawer
  • Me and my favorite girl, Meme (I'll always love u)
    • View Profile
    • Mastiff Club of America
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 03:36:40 pm »
??? Does the actor who played the Original Robin, Boy Wonder on the old Batman series do Giant Breed Rescue out in California?  Let me go looking for the site.   :)
Kerri, mom to Kacie and Atlas.  And missing deeply my baby girls, Storm and Meme.

Are you the type of person your dog thinks you are?

Offline KBMastiffs

• Gnawer
  • Me and my favorite girl, Meme (I'll always love u)
    • View Profile
    • Mastiff Club of America
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:37:42 pm »
 ;D Found it!  Hope this helps!!  http://www.gentlegiantsrescue.com/about.htm

??? Does the actor who played the Original Robin, Boy Wonder on the old Batman series do Giant Breed Rescue out in California?  Let me go looking for the site.   :)

Kerri, mom to Kacie and Atlas.  And missing deeply my baby girls, Storm and Meme.

Are you the type of person your dog thinks you are?

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 05:00:13 pm »
Yeah, that's the guy that does Gentle Giants, which once again, is under investigation for Animal Cruelty. Also, they have a bunch of crazy requirements, like you have to sign an agreement in which you will agree to purchase their special diet for the rest of your animal's life. Kinda weird.

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 05:00:46 pm »
gentle giants is the one that Jacksmom was refering to in the post up above.  they are under investigation and from what i have read i would use caution and know what other people have gone through with them.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 06:44:56 pm »
I would stay far away from GG rescue....  There are all kinds of problems and I have heard of some not so great stories...  there are plenty of dane/mastiff pups in very good rescues....A friend of mine adopted a Dane who was suppose to be a rescue for 900.00  that is a ton of money when they state their adoption fee is 400.00.  Plus other things that have happened...  there was someone out here in vegas that adopted a very very sick dane from them...terribl e stuff..here is a yahoo message group that is mostly breeders and they have some stuff about GG rescue.  Infact the dane in the pic was one of their rescues  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tiergans_Roar/

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 07:32:03 pm »
How do you look around that site w/o becoming a member?   It says it is a public site, but I can't look at anything on there.

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 09:31:22 pm »
i can tell you from being at GG that.......... .......DO NOT DO IT!! i did it and they kept my $950 when TWO dogs they said were great and so wonderful didnt work out cause for some reason or another they wanted to eat my other animals. so i had to take both dogs back. one i had for a week or so and the 2nd for  a month or so. so she wanted me to take the 2nd one back to try for a 3rd time but i can do that....i feel bad and wanted to bring a dog home with us but i couldnt risk my family (dogs would go at other animals even if my kids were there or "in the way")or my animals again. good luck with what you decided..