Author Topic: Ranger Saves The Day - Literally!!  (Read 9469 times)

dohertyswissy

Ranger Saves The Day - Literally!!
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:21:33 am »
This past weekend, I went over to my parents house for an overnight visit.  My Dad was out of town on his yearly Guys Golf Trip and Ranger and I decided to go keep Mom company.  My parents L-O-V-E Ranger, so when they are around, they literally do everything with him.  All I hear is, "No honey, I'll walk him" or "I'll feed him!"  He is a very lucky pooch to have such great grandparents!  ;D

Well, Ranger woke up around 7:30 a.m. and Mom decided she'd let him out and take him for a morning walk.  It is quite chilly here in the morning (lower 30s), so she bundled up, and I turned over to catch a few more zzzzs. 

When I got up and walked in the kitchen, the first thing she said was, "I'm fine."  She had a huge bruise in her temple area and my first instinct was that Ranger had pulled her down.  Boy, was I wrong.

My parents have lived in the same house for 28 years and are on about 2 acres of land.  Some of the soil has started to erode away from the sidewalk that meanders up to the house.  My Mom and Ranger started one way, then, Mom decided to go the other way.  Her shoe got caught up underneath the sidewalk, and she fell onto the concrete.  It apparently knocked her out.  She said when she came to, that Ranger was laying very gingerly on her and was nuzzling and licking her face.  She said it was a completely different kind of interaction and he was very serious...defi nitely not looking to play....instea d, he was trying to keep her warm and conscious.

I started crying immediately.  I felt awful for assuming he had pulled her down and felt an immense sense of pride and honor for being allowed to care for such an awesome, compassionate creature.  :-*  I'm so proud of him and relieved that he was with my Mom.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ranger Saves The Day - Literally!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:26:21 am »
He's a total hero.  Tell him I love him!  Oh, and I really do hope your mom is okay.  Send her hugs too.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:30:20 am »
WOW, what an awesome and smart boy! You should be really proud of him, looks and brains!
There should be a catagory for threads about BPO Heroes like Ranger and Chammie.
Stella
I like that idea "BPO Heroes"  ;D
What a good, incredibly smart boy Ranger  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:26:28 am »
Wow, good boy Ranger!! He sounds amazing! I'm happy he was there for your Mom, I hope she's okay. I agree, 'BPO Heros' is a great idea!
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 10:37:58 am »
Wow!  Way to go Ranger!

How very scarey though, thank goodness Ranger was with your mom.  It's really amazing how every once in a while our pooches remind us at how utterly amazing they are!

I hope your moms head feels better soon, did she get to a docter to make sure everything was alright?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 10:51:23 am »
Thanks for all the concern and well wishes for Mom!  She is doing okay.  She did go to the doctor and they said that she was okay, just banged up pretty good.

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:31:17 am »
What  a hero  Good thing RAnger  was  there.. Im glad your moms ok though..
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:22:11 am »
That is such an amazing story--I got teary-eyed reading it. It truly is awe-inspiring how our dogs can be so tuned in and loyal and loving and brave and aware of what needs to be done. Ranger sounds like a true hero. It made my day to read about what he did!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:10:32 pm »
That is so awesome!!  I'm glad your mom is ok.  It's really amazing when we get to see an animals true instincts rather than something that was taught.  And I will second whoever said and you thought they were spoiling him now....!! :D
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 12:28:41 pm »
Dang it Heather!

You need to have a warning like, "HEY PREGGO EMOTIONAL LADY, BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU READ THIS-Ranger saves the day"

I'm all teary-eyed at work now. That is so amazing. Give Roo a big kiss from Auntie Nicole.

Also, if your parents want any advice on that eroding soil, well, you know. I'm not the Education Coordinator for the Soil and Water Conservation District for nothin' ya know. ;)

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 12:43:22 pm »
oH Ranger you are such a good boy. I am glad your mom was ok too.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 04:04:21 am »
That's soo amazing how they just "know"!  i hope that your mom's feeling better!  my grandma has fallen a few times this past summer, and it's suprising how fast the face heals as comapred to other parts. 
I agree that Ranger deserves a BIG STEAK! that is one smart boy you've got there!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!