Author Topic: NDR - Parent Alert, Recalled Toys Contain Date Rape Drug  (Read 2546 times)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
NDR - Parent Alert, Recalled Toys Contain Date Rape Drug
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:51:01 pm »
Agh!  Here is a new toy recall.  Sadly, some children have been killed by these contaminated toys.  :'(  I just saw this on cnn.com and my youngest son was looking over my shoulder and said "Hey Mom, those Aqua Dots are great!  Can we get some?".  Ummm, nope!  Anyway, this includes info on this new toy plus some other toys that are being recalled for other reasons.  You may want to check it out.

www.money.cnn. com/2007/11/07/news/international/toys_drug.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: NDR - Parent Alert, Recalled Toys Contain Date Rape Drug
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:08:17 am »
As I am fairly nuts about accuracy due to my Risk Manager position, I feel the need to point out that no children have died (yet) from this product and it does not actually contain the date rape drug--the coating on the pieces is converted to it during digestion.

They are made in China and distributed world-wide.

Here is a link to what the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission has to say:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08074.html
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:18:14 am »
I'm fairly nuts about accuracy, too. But, I don't have any good reason for it. I'm just like that. As soon as I saw the title to this thread I had to click on it and find out what the deal was so that I could de-bunk it.

Thanks for doing that for us!

Not that its not important news, its just important that its clearly and accurately reported. THANKS!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:12:11 am »
Good thing we don't have any human kids--I'd be a nervous wreck. 

Anyone got links to toys made in the USA with only American products?  Christmas is coming fast and we have nephews and nieces who need something under the tree besides books and clothes.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:45:47 am »
We just gave that toy as a birthday gift in Oct. I talked to the mom today and she saw the report on it. One reason I picked it was that it was a toy of the year for 2007 :-\ I just feel bad giving the gift that has been recalled :-[ Jeeze I think we may start giving money for bd gifts...lol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 08:46:29 am by Icerotti »

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:07:18 am »
I have been watching this on MSNBC. Its crazy stuff like this is still happening and I'm glad my kids are past the toy stage!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:16:10 pm »
My friends and I were talking about the old wooden toys that kids used to have, they were on their way out so to speak even when I was a kid, we were thinking that with all these recalls those might start selling again!!!  And just think, kids might have to use their imagination!!!!  Thanks for posting the sites too, I have two nieces I need to shop for!!  I usually get a fun educational thing and a mindless toy!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:25:12 pm »
My friends and I were talking about the old wooden toys that kids used to have, they were on their way out so to speak even when I was a kid, we were thinking that with all these recalls those might start selling again!!!  And just think, kids might have to use their imagination!!!!  Thanks for posting the sites too, I have two nieces I need to shop for!!  I usually get a fun educational thing and a mindless toy!!

Hey Heatherton,
Actually, if you look at some of the "green" sites, the wooden toys are very popular.

I think that I'm going to try and avoid plastic toys with the new baybay and go for wood, too. There's a lot of good environmental reasons to avoid plastic, anyway.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:10:23 am »
Here is a link to a place my mom liked for shopping.  It is a college devoted to handcrafted household goods in Berea, Kentucky.  They were one of the first educational supporters of Appalachian crafts.  They also have wooden toys and the best broom I ever had.

http://www.berea.edu/studentcrafts/history.asp

Has anyone else been watching the lists of toxic pet food and pet food ingredients stopped by inspectors at our ports?  There was a link somewhere, maybe here, to Itchmo.com who has links to the FDA with their lists.  Here are some with the salmonella dog treats.

http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/10/ora_oasis_c_cn.html

http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/10/ora_oasis_i_72.html

There was a list of stopped dog food, mainly every product Nutro makes, but the target of the link has changed and I do not know how to find it again.  Any suggestions?

It helped me understand why my local pet store has racks stuffed full of old bags of Nutro and the pallet of Canidae on their porch.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua