Author Topic: We're losing one of our paws and a step-son...  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
We're losing one of our paws and a step-son...
« on: November 26, 2007, 09:10:51 pm »
It's official, my step-son accepted a job position in Virginia.  A wonderful opportunity for him, but I'm still going to miss him terribly.  He never fails to make us laugh with his silly antics and I have just come to realize that he respects me much more than I ever knew.  Not only are we setting one kid loose on the world, he is taking Magic with him!  Magic is technically his dog and I know he'll be in good hands with Jeffrey.  He loves Magic so much.  We have until February to enjoy having the two of them around and then it will be a lot quieter around the house...   :'(
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: We're losing one of our paws and a step-son...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:32:50 pm »
It's always hard for parents when one of the kids leave the nest.  But at the same time it's also a good feeling for them to know that they are going on to lead their own lives and that you have helped them along this path with your guidance, love and understanding.  Magic will be there with him to help him along the way and keep him grounded.  ;)

Good luck to your step-son, and good luck to you, it'll take some time to adjust to him not being there, but at least you have until February to get to spend this bit of time with him.  Hopefully you'll get to visit often.   ;) :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:46:33 pm »
Awww!  That has to be so bitter sweet for you.  Will he still be close enough for you guys to visit pretty often?  My mom is about 5 1/2 hours from me, which sucks, but we try to get together once a month.  Even if just for a day or so.

Congrats to your step-son on his new job!  Sounds like he's a good one. :)

He'll be about a 6.5 hour drive from us.  Close enough, yet still too far.   :)

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 11:12:22 pm »
Both Jeff and I are going through the whole spectrum of emotions.  Jeffrey is so young, only 19, and it seems like he is way too young to be taking such a step.  At the same time though, this is a fantastic opportunity for him with this job and he has been handling this very maturely.  He has been more responsible about researching the area, going over all the pros and cons about whether to buy a home or rent, he's already contacted real estate agents and is planning a trip down there with his girlfriend, Lena (she's going with him) to look at places.  He's covered more bases than I ever did the many times I have moved.  And yet, I worry because it seems we can't even get the kid to remember to take the trash out to the curb twice a week.

Jeffrey and Lena came home with stuff for their new place, like a dining set and such.  Jeff was really annoyed that night and snapping at everyone.  I cornered him and told him to stop being such a grouch to me and the girls just because it's starting to sink in that his son is moving away.  He looked away and mumbled "You don't know that" which is his way of saying I'm right and he just doesn't want to admit it.  LOL!  Anyway, he's been dealing better and made sure to tell Jeffrey how proud he is of him.

And who knows, he might be back in two years. The local plant he works at is closing and they are planning on re-opening in two years.  Jeffrey is climbing the ladder quickly and chose to go to VA to retain his employment with the company.  It's a wise choice.

Who says you have to go through childbirth to brag about your kids!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:16:42 pm by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:28:32 pm »
And that is definitely brag worthy. Take comfort in the fact that you actually raised a responsible, functional human being who is now ready to begin contributing to society. My 20 year old has informed me that like a cockroach, he is not leaving as long as the food holds out.
<sigh>
Stella

Hee hee hee!  I'm in the same boat.  Except I am the cockroach... lol

Hey at least you know that when he comes back it'll be to his own place and not back in with you guys like I did to my mom!  lol
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:04:42 am »
And that is definitely brag worthy. Take comfort in the fact that you actually raised a responsible, functional human being who is now ready to begin contributing to society. My 20 year old has informed me that like a cockroach, he is not leaving as long as the food holds out.
<sigh>
Stella

HAHA!!  That is TOO funny!!

Hey at least you know that when he comes back it'll be to his own place and not back in with you guys like I did to my mom!  lol

That remains to be seen...  He's getting his own place in Virginia.  he may try to wheedle his way back in when he gets back.  He is so eager for freedom from the parents.  Wait til he sees what it's REALLY like out there!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret