Author Topic: Hip Dyplasia/Arthritis  (Read 2985 times)

Offline xenad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hip Dyplasia/Arthritis
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:07:37 am »
Hi everyone,

I need some feedback, I have a doberman/german sheperd mix who is 10 years old and has beem diagnosed with hip dysplasia.  She is very active,but after a day of activity she is in pain.  She is a little slower in getting up after laying down even when she is not being active.  I have tried Glucosimine, with no imediate or little help.  Aspirin helps but upsets her stomach. Cannot afford rimadyl with my household of another dog and two horses.  I have came across a product called Vital pet which contains Procaine. Has anyone used this and if so what have the results been?     

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Hip Dyplasia/Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 03:31:01 pm »
Glucosamine takes about 6 weeks to begin working and you have to be sure to give a high enough dose.  Starting would be about 3000 mg per day for a week and then maintain on 1500 mg per day.  The cheapest place to get it is Walmart  For Aspirin try the enteric coated- easier on their stomach.  She also would need to be a lean body weight and sleeping on a soft surface will help too.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Hip Dyplasia/Arthritis
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 03:57:51 pm »
I would definitely continue with the glucosamine and give it more time like Patrick suggested.  We've found that our dogs showed some improvement within 3-4 weeks, but the best results have been when it's used consistantly for a couple of months.  Both Daisy & Sammy moved slowly and/or limped before we started the glucosamine, but with it they both move more fluidly and they even run & play like puppies sometimes, too and it's so nice to know that they are feeling that well.  My parent's dog was dx with severe arthritis 4 yrs ago and they were told that they should consider putting her to sleep due to pain.  They chose to try Metacam (spelling?) and glucosamine and the combo has worked great for her.  The vet has been very pleased with the results and their sweet old girl is 16 now and still my Dad's best buddy.   ;D 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees