Author Topic: Joint Effort- Great Pyr Rescue  (Read 5907 times)

bigdogs@5501

Joint Effort- Great Pyr Rescue
« on: November 12, 2007, 11:50:29 am »
Thank to Jane "Marypyrs" there is a family of 13 pyrs that are still alive tonight and will now have a chance to have a good life. A male and a female were in a high kill shelter in Louisiana. Jane started helping me to try and get them out of there last week. Then mom decided to start giving birth on saturday. No one knew that she was pregnant. I was up at 4AM this morning and headed to Louisiana. They are now Texas dogs. They are now in a safe place and we will all get to watch them grow over the next 8 weeks. Dad is an old guy but is majestic and beautiful and momma looks a lot like Tug. Again they are now safe in rescue and will be able to live and grow old happily. So the birth announcement is 11 babies, 7 boys, 4 girls and about 1/2 of them are the badger face puppies.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Joint Effort- Great Pyr Rescue
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:25:38 pm »
Awwww, they are so beautiful and you are both amazing, wonderful ladies!  Bless you both for caring & working so hard to give these parents & their puppies another life!!!   ;D  :-*  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:15:05 am »
Wow. That is an amazing story with a great ending. Thank you for saving those dogs and giving them another chance.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:33:38 am »
What a wonderful people you are  :-* :-* :-*
The dogs look fantastic! How did they end up at the shelter?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 01:56:27 am »
I cannot tell you how awesome I think you both are.  Wanting to do and actually doing good are two totally different things and you manage to do good.  

I am in awe of both of you for getting involved and helping I would have said oh I want to but I can't.   I wish I had your convictions and strength.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you,

Please keep the pictures coming!! Totally doubt I can talk hubby into a x-large shedding white dog!

Randy & Harley (by the way Harley is from Texas you know)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:14 am »
Oh My Lord!  I want one of those puppies!!!!!  I love them all!  And admire you guys for the good that you do.  Carma's got a sweet spot for you two!  Now do you think you could work your powers of good to convince my family that we need another Pyr or 3??   :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:19:41 am »
Wow. That is so wonderful. We really do have a great group of people on this site. You two are so great!!! Reading this just made my day.

P.S. If you are needing some homes for these guys.....I may be able to help out. :)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:10:13 am »
OMG PAIGE!

You're INCREDIBLE! And your friend, too! That's just fabulous that you were able to help that family. And, that second-to-last photo is just too much!!! Mom clearly LOOOOOOOOOOVES those pups!

Dang. You're awesome, Paige.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:12:08 am »
Mom, Dad and babies are beautiful! I am so glad they get to live out a long happy life!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 10:59:33 am »
Happy endings rule.  More pictures, please.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 11:29:00 am »
Where in Louisiana were they? You should have called me!! I would have helped transport. WAAAAAAHHH!! I missed puppy breath!!!   :'(
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 03:03:11 pm »
To complete the story.
I get a lot of emails every day about dogs needing rescues. I got one titled Big Dogs in Caddo Parrish. I opened thinking ok no way that there are any Pyrs. WRONG. There was a pic of both mom and dad that just did me in, they were gorgeous and had those brown eyes that were just begging to be rescued. I called a few local groups and got no where fast. I then shot the email to Jane as she knows so many wonderful people. My dear sweet Jane then started working her magic. Unfortunately Jane gets a call on Saturday to inform her that there had been a change in the status of the two, mom was having puppies. The shelter had no idea that she was pregnant until puppies started making thier grand entrance. Monday morning Jane sends me an email and it was like we have to do something quick. So I said no problem, I will go and get them. ( I can not even beleive that I did that, what was I thinking? I had just taken in another foster less than a week previous to that)
But we are talking babies and mom and with most shelters with out a rescue stepping up to commit quickly, they are PTS. Then we had the issue of poppa dog, he and the female are bonded. So do you take mom and babies and leave poppa to be put to sleep? Not in my little world.
Thankfully I have a friend who lives right by me and she has acreage and a big barn and it is just her and the animals. I called her to get hay and she said that she was going with me and that we could keep the family at her house. She has plenty of room.
I feel that what we did was the right thing. I had no idea that less than a week after seeing thier picture that not only would they be in my life but that thier babies would also be here. What an incredible turn of events.
Poppa dog is probably about 10 and such a majestic old man, he and mom get antsy when she is in the house too long with out coming out to touch noses. Although she has put him in his place a couple of times for getting too close to the babies she still loves him.

I am thankful for the people like Jane who are in my life to help me move forward with such a hair brained idea of taking off work at the last minute, getting up at 4 AM in the morning to drive 3 1/2 hours to bring home 13 dogs, actually we also brought home a Weimeraner that has been accepted into the local rescue as of today, so make that 14.

Poppa gave me a kiss last nite as I was leaving so I am also thankful that he got another chance and I got lucky enough to get a kiss out of the old guy.

Babies are going to need homes. I have no details on that yet. But as the weeks go by, we will get the details out to anyone who is interested. They will be raised with humans, other dogs, cats, fowl and live stock so they are going to be well rounded little Pyrs by the time that they are ready for thier forever homes.

I have been with them all evening hugging and kissing but I promise more pics before the week is out.

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 03:39:37 am »
You guys are amazing, keep up the good work.  Hmmm... how far is the drive to Texas from Ohio?   :-\  And how do I fit a third giant dog in our car?   ???
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!