Author Topic: New here...need some input on pregnant dog...  (Read 6013 times)

Offline stunna

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New here...need some input on pregnant dog...
« on: November 11, 2007, 02:20:25 am »
Hello All...Im new here and have a question.

I have acquired a 7 year old Am Staff female, who was bred prior to me attaining her.  Her due date was yesterday, according to the previous owners.  A few days ago I noticed her nesting and doing the typical pre labor behavior.  The other owners also stated she had the last 2 litters on day 61.    Yesterday and today her temp has been a steady 100.5 with no change.  No more nesting, no labor like behavior.  She also has milk that can be expressed, and we can feel the pups moving.  I guess Im just frustrated because the answer the previous owners give me is "she'll have them when she haves them" which is true and I understand that.  But at the same time since I didnt breed her I wonder if they calculated the due date correctly.  They said they wrote it down, etc etc...and its been 20 years since I have dealt with a pregnant dog.  Maybe Im just overreating, but I wish there was some sign of closeness to "the time" happening.  I guess my concern is its supposedly day 64 today and they (the prev owners) have been adamant she delivers on the 61.  I guess Im just worried.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: New here...need some input on pregnant dog...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:28:27 am »
 Was she breed more then once like most breeders do? It may be be 64 days from her first breeding but only 62 if breed a second time. I would keep an eye on her temp, and if shes not panting and acting stressed (while not producing pups) then I would give it a day or two more. If your real worried call the vet.

Offline stunna

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: New here...need some input on pregnant dog...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 02:32:15 am »
They told me this is her 3rd litter.    They said she is a great mom, very attentive, etc etc.  They owned her since she was a pup.